Changing Number of Passengers in Room?

dodger1964

Is it possible to book a room (with room capacity of 4) for 2 passengers and then at some later time add a 3rd person without actually having to cancel the first booking and rebook as a new reservation?

I know there would be an increase in the cost, but maybe(?) it wouldn't be as bad as what the new rate is at the time for a brand new reservation for 3 people??

Thanks for any help.

We have booked a cruise for 2017 which our son may, or may not , join us on.

The suite we have booked can accommodate him no problem but there are still maximum numbers per cruise.

So if we tried to book him in last minute, even though our room has space, the ship could be full. For the deposit cost we have booked him in. If he doesn't come we have lost a relatively small deposit, for peace of mind, no contest.

In your personal situation the questions are, how long until the cruise? How likely is it that you want to add others? Usually you can add others but if cruises are very popular or you are relatively near to cruising date you can not take it for granted that another guest can just join you, even if your cabin can accommodate.

It's a lifeboat issue --- the ship only has so much passenger capacity in their lifeboats, they cannot book more than that, even if there is an extra berth in your cabin. Ships have more berths available than lifeboat capacity to give cruisers more flexibility, but it does not mean that all those could be sold. So, the answer is maybe, there is no way of knowing how full your cruise will be. If you are set on the 3rd person coming with you, much better to book him/her from the beginning rather than wait for a better rate. You do run the risk of being shut out.

We booked our adult son at the very last week to accompany us on a cruise we had previously booked. We had a Concierge Class room and tried to get a Sky Suite, but couldn't get one because of the late date. I don't believe we had to create a new reservation number because our room stayed the same. Of course, we did have to pay extra for three in a room and more gratuities.

I wasn't a big fan of being three in a room, but we managed OK. I do hope things work out well for you all. As it turned out for us, our son was a big help with luggage and other things. I wish he could go on every cruise with us even if we are tightly sqeezed into one cabin.