Amsterdam 14 Day Alaska

mickeyfitz

So by right off the Spit, do you mean the end where the ferries dock? I'm confused by Augie's mom's post about taking a shuttle from the Port to the Spit.

Looking at google maps, we docked near where the ferry for Homer/Seldovia appears to go from.

Thanks for the info and sugggestions, Erzengel. I agree about booking early. We figured out what we want pretty quickly and booked the "musts." You're right that you can make choices that are repetitive. Soo many tours to see whales, bears, and raptors that it takes some research to make decisions. I tried to book a variety and still leave a few ports open to independent touring or booking on board since we somehow ended up with a lot of OBC.

We're doing whale watching in Juneau because there's a scientific expedition boat. We want to try that. I thought about booking a whale watch at Icy Straight, but didn't want to do two in a row. We've been to Ketchikan before, so we'll just poke around the town a bit. Maybe take the funicular up the hill and have a drink at the hotel up there.

In Sitka we're doing the tour that goes to three nature places, including the raptor center. We live near a raptor center and the man who runs it says Sitka is very good--and he isn't quick to praise. So that's a must for us. We've got flightseeing booked for Anchorage. If we're weathered out, we may try the zoo or see if we can get on the beer tour.

Homer didn't particularly speak to me. We might try to get to the nature center (wildlife refuge) on our own. Or just relax on the ship.

We're going to the gardens in Victoria. I've heard that the ship's excursion is tight on time, and we don't want to feel rushed. We'll take a taxi and just write off the expense as part of the "cost of travel." That way we can manage our time and take advantage of the late stay in port.

You mentioned using Lyft. Has Uber made it to any of these Alaskan towns? I already have an Uber account, so that would be easy for us.

You mentioned using Lyft. Has Uber made it to any of these Alaskan towns? I already have an Uber account, so that would be easy for us.

I think I remember checking Uber and the prices being a little more than Lyft. I'd recommend downloading Lyft as it gives you alternative pricing. I've found that Lyft has been giving me lower prices on the West Coast. (Travelling in LA, Seattle and Alaska)

So by right off the Spit, do you mean the end where the ferries dock? I'm confused by Augie's mom's post about taking a shuttle from the Port to the Spit.

I don't remember seeing any ferries but where we docked there was a free shuttle to the Spit as well as the Hop On Hop Off ($15)which brought you into town (the opposite direction) with 4 stops along the way (a waste of time IMO) We did both and much preferred the Spit. On the Spit there was a Hop On Hop Off trolley, also for $15

The road heading out of Homer runs along "The Spit" for quite a distance. As you are getting toward the end, there is a left turn roadway that will take you to where the ship docks. The road you were on also continues to a built-up, tourist area, which is what most of us are referring to when we talk about going to "The Spit". Have a drink at the Salty Dawg!

At the ship there was a shuttle bus that took passengers to town, and a separate shuttle that took passengers to the built-up area of The Spit.

When I took the shuttle back from town, wanting to go to built-up Spit, I came back to the ship area, then changed shuttles and headed over.

The road heading out of Homer runs along "The Spit" for quite a distance. As you are getting toward the end, there is a left turn roadway that will take you to where the ship docks. The road you were on also continues to a built-up, tourist area, which is what most of us are referring to when we talk about going to "The Spit". Have a drink at the Salty Dawg!

At the ship there was a shuttle bus that took passengers to town, and a separate shuttle that took passengers to the built-up area of The Spit.

When I took the shuttle back from town, wanting to go to built-up Spit, I came back to the ship area, then changed shuttles and headed over.

Ahhh, I get it now. I was looking at a map trying to figure out where the ship would dock, and your description makes perfect sense. With the ship docking where you say, that would be a long walk to the built-up area. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Those of you that sailed the Great Alaskan Explorer -- do you remember which were the Gala nights? and what if anything was special about the menu in the MDR those nights... trying to decide which nights to book specialty dinners.

There are three sea days in the itinerary - purely ocean transit with no glacier viewing, etc. Those are the three Gala nights.