Rome- Realistic walking tour?

kathew

http://*******/maps/5qgdZ

Is this DIY walking tour realistic? Our ship arrives in Civitavecchia at 8am and leaves at 7pm. We're planning on taking the train. We're active & in our mid-twenties, so walking isn't a problem.

Any advice? What about best way to get to the train, best stations, etc.

Your map link wouldn't work, but it is easy to get to the station. Just take the port bus to the port entrance, turn right, keeping the ocean your right, and the station will be about 4 blocks down on your left. Go into the newsstand and plop down your 12E and they will give your a BIRG ticket. Be sure to validate in the box on the platform.

Get off at Roma Ostiense station; within that station (Pyramide) you will find the metro, for which your BIRG is valid. Take the metro two stops to Colosseo which will bring you out right there!!

From there you can tour the Forum (dual ticket with the Colosseum) or if you are on a tight schedule just see both from street level. Then you can stroll to Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc. At this point we usually have lunch (Ristorante Alla Rampa behind the Spanish Steps) then take a cab to the Vatican. Tour the basilica, head to Roma San Pietro station and grab the train back to port. Obviously this is totally tailor-able to your own preferences, just an idea of how it can be done.

Mind you, this is only if we have friends who have never been to Rome before--we don't do this same itinerary ourselves every time--but its great for first-timers.

Edited by CathyCruises

Agree with Cathy. Also Couldn't open the link. Only point I'd add is don't try to schedule a tour of the Sistine Chappell if you do all of the above. In 2011 it took us almost 2 hours to complete the tour. You can pre purchase colosseum and forum tickets. That will save time standing in line.

We did a guided walking/public transportation tour in Rome with Can't Be Missed Tours (we also used them for. Naples). They met us a the ship and and took the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. We started at the Collisium (did not go inside) and stopped at Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain. We did not do Spanish Steps. We stopped for lunch (not included but you could choose where you are or eat at the one they suggested). Then we did the Vatican.

He is reviewed in Rick Steeves and Rick now suggests following his path to your on your own.

I really enjoyed the tour.

Yes the link worked great. So how are you getting from the ship to Point A? When I first looked at the map I thought that was a lot of walking but it really isn't. I will have to do something similar. These are all the sites I am interested in seeing. I keep looking at the HOHO bus map and I don't really think that is for us.

Thanks!

From the port, you walk to the train station and get the BIRG ticket. Hop on the first train headed to Rome.

Get off the train at the station called "Roma Ostiense". From there, you will need to transfer to the Rome metro (Blue line). The name of your metro station is "Pyramide". Get on the metro headed in the direction of Rebibia (there are maps on the walls); some of the trains may also say Termini.

After you get on the metro, you will exit two stops later at "Colosseo" stop. Walk out of the station and you'll see the Colosseum is right in front of you!

Your google map is a little misleading as it doesn't understand that you'll walk directly from Palatine Hill down into the Roman Forum. Google thinks you have to go all the way around the outside, which you do not. Fixing that step alone (from B to C) will save you a lot of time and distance.

After you have spent some time in the Roman Forum, exit from the western end (near the arch of Septimius Severus) up a flight of stairs to the Campidoglio, and then down the Cordonata to continue your tour. From here your next stop would logically be the Trevi Fountain, after that the Pantheon, after that Piazza Navona, and finally St. Peter's.

I've edited your map to show the more direct walking route: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Foro+Romano&daddr=Trevi+Fountain,+Piazza+di+Trevi,+00187+Roma,+Italy+to:Pantheon,+Piazza+della+Rotonda,+00186+Roma,+Italy+to:Piazza+Navona,+00186+Roma,+Italy+to:St.+Peter%27s+Basilica,+Vatican+City&hl=en&sll=41.897597,12.471536&sspn=0.018815,0.046606&geocode=FQg8fwIduH--AA%3BFYRbfwId8Xq-ACnVQIMnU2AvEzG2uwLM4fF29g%3BFXNSfwIdyWG-ACmpQIZnT2AvEzEszjYg-mXRyg%3BFZpUfwId8FK-ACk9HJ3Bg2AvEzFKM4IuViRXow%3BFVdgfwIdMQi-ACGDUofNd_BLcilZmxS3YWAvEzGDUofNd_BLcg&dirflg=w&mra=ps&t=m&z=15

You'll see that I've started from Campidoglio because google maps doesn't recognize the Roman Forum as a walkable site. It also doesn't recognize the Cordonata so it shows you going down the road nearby, but do use the steps. Very evocative.

Edited by euro cruiser

From the port, you walk to the train station and get the BIRG ticket. Hop on the first train headed to Rome.

Get off the train at the station called "Roma Ostiense". From there, you will need to transfer to the Rome metro (Blue line). The name of your metro station is "Pyramide". Get on the metro headed in the direction of Rebibia (there are maps on the walls); some of the trains may also say Termini.

After you get on the metro, you will exit two stops later at "Colosseo" stop. Walk out of the station and you'll see the Colosseum is right in front of you!

Just wanted to add that the transfer from the train to the metro (at Ostiense) is easy. The two stations are adjacent to each other.

The walking tour edited by @euro cruiser is better. You can walk that in your day in port, even when you take the train. On your way back you can get the train to Civitavecchia at the St. Peters train station.

However... You will not have time to really enjoy Rome. You will see (like pass by) the sights, but you won't have time to visit St Peters, Colosseum, etc. Even walking up Palatine hill might be too time consuming. You might want to skip some sights to create more time to actually visit the sights you really want to see.

Edited by 3ssn

Yes the link worked great. So how are you getting from the ship to Point A? When I first looked at the map I thought that was a lot of walking but it really isn't. I will have to do something similar. These are all the sites I am interested in seeing. I keep looking at the HOHO bus map and I don't really think that is for us.

Thanks!

Shannon- I see you're going about a month before us. If you try this, you'll have to let me know how it worked :)

• 5 months later...

We had to rush to walk to the train station at the port, but then we had plenty of time to do my walking tour. Thanks everyone for the help!

I've attached a picture from my GPS watch :)

556753471_RomeGoogleEarth.jpg.a1e3bd14dc1662cfc6b494d9031694e1.jpg