Transatlantic Cruise Weather

4Lakes Lady

We did a northern TA end of April from Tampa to Boston to England. We needed light jackets of fleece but not down to walk on deck. Of course that is just 2 weeks of weather. Whatever the weather is it is usually colder because of the wind from a moving ship.

It was too cold out to watch the outdoor movies, so if you are planning to sit outside after dark and watch a movie I would bring the coat.

The weather will change as you start to approach the Azores and of course will be colder. I went on a northerly TA to the Baltic regions this past April and the weather was quite delightful. Layering is the key. I also brought my smart wool socks, a knit cap, gloves and some cuddleduds just in case. I am a major deck walker. The weather actually turned out to be outside weather most sea days and it was sunny and relatively warm. Sunbathing for the hearty.

Another TA from the Med region was so much colder in early Nov. We did not use our balcony very often when on the Atlantic.

Layer, but don't bring your Eskimo gear. You just never know about weather on a TA.

I was on a Miami-Dover TA a year ago April. Temperatures on the Atlantic were nowhere as low as winter-coat level but there was little sun and a very stiff breeze most days. Until we disembarked at Dover which was shrouded in pea soup and barely above freezing. Thankfully two and a half hours on the train to London led to above-average temperatures and little rain for our five days in early May there.

So the one thing for sure is, you never know. Layers, layers, layers is your best preparation.

The Titanic sailed in April - they found it pretty cold. On the other hand, the Atlantic is a big place. As pointed out above, the weather in New York may not be the same as the weather in Florida.

I'll be visiting the USA in May. How warm will it be? ;)

We've done 3 TA's. Weather varied, as it does, but for all three (these were From Florida) the first couple of sea days were nice-70ish- and it gradually got cooler as we sailed north.

It is very windy due to the ship's movement, as well as weather--they normally go faster than in, say, the Caribbean. Some days were fine for sitting and walking outside, others got too cool for me--low 50's. I used layers; sweater, light jacket, rain jacket. At times I wore all three, but not usually. I also brought some of the small stretchy gloves and those were invaluable, as well as a hood or hat.

It was nice in the Canaries and Azores all three times--about 70. When getting to Europe, the southern ports were very nice, except for cool and rainy one day in Florence. Our port in France was cool, but okay with a jacket. Our days in Rome were hot, in England very nice, 65-75.

They were all the last two weeks in April. Just bring layers, unlikely to need a winter coat. But of course, weather can never be guaranteed!

We have done about 20 (lost count) crossings, quite a few of which were in April/early May. As others have posted, the weather can vary greatly and there is no way to predict. All but two of our East bound spring cruises have enjoyed pretty good weather (the other two were awful). Temps do vary and one should take a good look at their route. If you are going from Florida to the Canaries then you are more likely to have warmer weather then a crossing to the Azores (or one stopping in Bermuda). If your final port is Civitavecchia it will likely be warmer then a cruise to Amsterdam. Geography does matter...although anything can happen at sea.

Hank