The Canaries

P&O SUE

My advice:

Lanzarote: rent a car mandatory, provided enough time.

Gran Canaria: the city itself has a nice beach and several places to visit

Santa Cruz de Tenerife: the city itself not so good, but the main island attractions might be pretty far from the port, you need time.

Las Palmas is a fairly large city, but the port is in the city itself. LPA has one of the best urban beaches in Europe. There are various things of interest to see I the city like Christopher Columbus's House, the cathedral, Vegueta, the old part etc. You can get around easily by local transport.

In Lanzarote and Tenerife I would rent a car from CICAR and see the islands by myself. In Tenerife the 'must see' is Teide, the highest mountain in Spain.

We never take ship excursions as most places are very easy to do things yourselves. Google place and look on Tripadvisor and you can find plenty of information.

I haven't been yet, but I've been researching for my upcoming visit to Lanzarote. That island fascinates me. Besides the volcanic/crater/moonscape scenery (Timanfaya National Park), there are unusual wineries, beautiful white villages, artistic works by an artist named Cesar Manrique, and lots to see. However, the port city itself (Arrecife) doesn't look too interesting. I've found a couple good tour opportunities; might want to google Tours by Locals Lanzarote. We're renting a car (from CIcar, at the port) but if you're not too adventuresome, a ship's excursion is probably best. There are also camel rides near the park if you're looking for something different. http://www.turismodecanarias.com is one site to look at for more info.

Can't help you with the other islands, as we visit La Palma (the island, not the city) but not the other 2 islands you visit.

Edited by roothy123

We stopped at Gran Canary and took an excursion into the countryside going up to a high point to see the panorama.

The island was beautiful, I strongly advise seeing more than the port.

Also, we visited a Botanical Gardens and saw many unusual plants.

We stopped at Gran Canary and took an excursion into the countryside going up to a high point to see the panorama.

The island was beautiful, I strongly advise seeing more than the port.

Also, we visited a Botanical Gardens and saw many unusual plants.

Thank you I think I will be taking excursions :)

• 3 months later...

I have holidayed in Lanzarote a few times and knowing it like that, I think I would be taking an excursion if stopping there on a cruise to get the most out of a short visit.

There are lots of places to see, but i think the 'must see' is the Timanfaya National Park (Fire Mountain). I'm sure the excursion would take in some other worthwhile places too.

I have holidayed in Lanzarote a few times and knowing it like that, I think I would be taking an excursion if stopping there on a cruise to get the most out of a short visit.

There are lots of places to see, but i think the 'must see' is the Timanfaya National Park (Fire Mountain). I'm sure the excursion would take in some other worthwhile places too.

Thank you Scriv, I have seen a trip to Fire Mountain - looks good.

In Gran Canaria there is an excursion to 2 places -Maspalomas and Puerto Mogan. It's just a transfer and then you are free to do what you you want there. A couple of hours at each place - does this sound good does anyone know?

Just in case someone reads this in the future: I was looking at Google Earth last night to see where on Lanzarote people have taken pictures. I came across the housing development in Tias (on the way to Parque Timanfaya) designed by an artist. If anyone is driving on LZ-2 through Tias, you may want to look out the window on the right side. There really doesn't appear to be a good reason to visit the white villages of Andalucia if this kind of artistic work is right off the road in the Canary Islands! (Just kidding of course - although I notice there ARE a lot of white buildings on Lanzarote, which means I may not need my white villages excursion while visiting Cadiz/Seville!)

Anyway, check out the houses (and other artwork) on http://www.antoniopadron.org - wonderful!

Edited by roothy123

Hello Sue - we have done the excursion you mention and enjoyed it very much. You get a decent look at all the places and excellent views of Gran Canaria. We were surprised at some of the hotels which cling to the mountain sides. Puerto Mogan is a pretty little place - all in all it was a good trip and if you haven't been there before it is worth doing.

In Lanzarote we did the Cactus Garden (which was ok) and Jameos el Agua (sp?) This was beautiful with the underground garden and lake. We liked this was too and can recommend.

We have been to the Canaries 3 times now but on our first visit were surprised at how barren parts of the islands are. They look in parts like a lunar landscape. All very interesting however. Enjoy your trip.

Roothy, it's interesting reading up about artisit Manrique's influence on the Lanzarote architecture - ie single storey and white buildings.

I can't remember it all just now, but he was appalled by the high rises in Tenerife and came back to Lanzarote determined to make Lanzarote develop its tourism but remaining unspoilt and exploiting, but not ruining, its natural resources.

He had influence in high places - and hence, you see white low buildings all over the island.

Edited by Scriv

Roothy

All buildings in Lanzarote have to be painted white and they are low rise. The woodwork, like shutters have to be green or blue.

There is no comparison between Lanzarote and the pueblos blancos of ndlucia. Totally different atmosphere and countryside. I would choose Andalucia any day over Lanzarote, but Lanzarote is very different, so worthwhile to see.

Sue

If you want to see what Gran Canaria really has to offer, either go to the north of the island to places like Agaete and Valle de Agaete or Arehucas or the interior to Tejeda and Caldera de Banderas. Both Maspalomas and Puerto Mogan are in the dry, barren south of the island. They are man made tourist resorts with nothing of interest to see.

if I was on a cruise stopping in LPA, I would probably just stay in the city as there is more than enough to occupy you for a day. In Vegueta you have the lovely old Spanish Canarian houses and architecture, you can visit Christopher Columbus's house, the cathedral, Parque Doamas with the Pueblo Canario and museum. In addition to that you have some excellent shopping, nice tapas bar and the Las Canteras beach. All these places are easy to reach by bus, but taxis are very cheap.