Is a one day cruise a cruise?

Onnie0047

After some months of dating, my BF (now hubby) wanted to go on a cruise with me (he had been on a cruise the year before) but wanted to make sure I'll be okay with a week on board. Til then, I've been on the boat to Catalina (a short trip), a "three hour" party cruise in Marina Del Rey (a work function), and a sailboat thriller (my best friend's father steered and he did this like he drove == too fast). He had been on an one-day cruise to Ensenada on a probably now-defunct line -- your basic gamblers' cruise that goes RT from San Diego and returns that night with a hotel stay thrown in with the fare.

I don't even remember the name of that ship so I don't list it. Just the cruises of at least three days on regular cruise lines.

But as someone else said, this isn't a competition on this site. But for us, even the seven day cruises seem to short for us now.

Go ahead, you're not harming anyone by declaring your 1 day cruise.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

That would give me another day lol! but then since it was broken up with 3 days in Freeport perhaps I should say 2 more! but I also did the tourist cruise of the Seine when we were in Paris should I add that? and what about the numerous short riverboat cruises I have cruised in New Orleans, Chattanooga, Stone Mountain, and Calloway Gardens? Hey, I took a ferry in Bermuda too! and oh yes St. Maarten has a ferry doesn't it? I have done that a few times while on cruises lol! that can give me double days I guess! My inlaws lived on Jackson Lake and owned a pontoon boat. My FIL was always taking us out for a cruise on the Lake Lol! then there is all those deep sea fishing trips we took and heck when I was young boating trips at Clarks Hill, near Augusta! I also stayed at the Delta Queen Hotel a few years back. I am sure I have left some out though being 60 years old now,it is hard to remember everything.

Yes I am being ridiculous! Lol! and seriously even if I added up every time I have ever been in any type of vessel on water -it still would not amount to much who would really care? However, if the OP wants to count his one day ferry service to Freeport; as others said nobody really cares.

The whole point of a cruising signature is for other people looking for information on cruising. They may want to question you about certain itineraries or cruise lines, that is it's real purpose. Like others, I have it turned off, I only check it on people profile's if they seem knowledgeable and I want to ask them a question about an itinerary or cruise line. I do find it a help, but as others said, when they become long they can be a nuisance if you are just reading a thread.

Okay, hello everyone, this is Lori (Randy's wife) as I see most of you consider the 1 day-er a cruise, I guess I can accept that it was . Although the experience was AWFUL (some ding dong hanging over the side because he drank to much :mad: ), it was nice.

The whole point of a cruising signature is for other people looking for information on cruising. They may want to question you about certain itineraries or cruise lines, that is it's real purpose. Like others, I have it turned off, I only check it on people profile's if they seem knowledgeable and I want to ask them a question about an itinerary or cruise line. I do find it a help, but as others said, when they become long they can be a nuisance if you are just reading a thread.

This is how I feel. A couple of times someone has asked me about one of the cruises (either ship or itinerary) I've listed, so I imagine others may have been able to tell whether I knew what I was talking about by looking at my list. There are many who just say they've been on too many cruises to list and from the info they give, I have no reason to doubt they have. It's another way to verify the credibility of a poster in many cases.

This is how I feel. A couple of times someone has asked me about one of the cruises (either ship or itinerary) I've listed' date=' so I imagine others may have been able to tell whether I knew what I was talking about by looking at my list. There are many who just say they've been on too many cruises to list and from the info they give, I have no reason to doubt they have. It's another way to verify the credibility of a poster in many cases.[/quote']

Yes, it's purpose is to help posters considering a certain cruise or itinerary who may want to question another poster about their experience. Some of people do not get that. I have seen where people have listed land vacations in their signature. Oh my goodness if we started adding land trips we have taken in our lifetime where would it end?

Once a person was asking about a trip to Europe, not necessarily cruise related and I replied with my 2 bits. Another person asked how did I know anything and copied my signature. I guess for that person I should have listed my land trips. Since they did not realize I have done quite a few trips to Europe that were land based. Only twice have I cruised in Europe.

I had another person accuse me of bragging once. Lol! My only thought was if he thought I was bragging he must have been on only 1 or 2 cruises. As it would hardly be bragging to most who have cruised several times, or especially those who have cruised much more than I. On the CC forum I am a novice compared to many long time posters.

In the end though, what does it matter I guess, if people add fluff to their sigs- if we want to question them about an itinerary or cruise line, we just look and ask them about their experience that we have an interest.

I won't add what I feel does not apply and will not help others who may have questions but I do not care if others choose to.

I've never thought about adding all the overnight sailings on ferries....but there's been food, beds, loos (well-down the corridor in the early days!) and various entertainment...;) Anyway, I couldn't remember how many over the years....to Sweden was 2 nights, and do you count the return??? :D

Or how about the overnight on a cruise ship which doesn't sail? Members of a UK forum were invited to an overnight on the new Azura for her naming- but we remained at the dock- a cruise or not? :rolleyes:

I think that your sailing was just a matter of getting from A to B and cannot really be classed as a cruise.

While I think you have a good point I must say that my two transatlantic cruises next year are a matter of getting from A to B. One is 18 days the other 28 days.

While I think you have a good point I must say that my two transatlantic cruises next year are a matter of getting from A to B. One is 18 days the other 28 days.

You will gain valuable experience that other cruisers may have an interest in learning about. Retiree cruisers love transatlantics and may be looking for information. I only took one once, a northern transatlantic as my husband does not want to waste vacation days on sea days and that only had 3 days at seas between Ireland and Newfoundland. I hope we can do more once he retires so I would be interested in your experiences! and hey! Only 1 long flight to/from Europe is very appealing to me. I hate long flights

Once you have more time, I highly recommend the HAL roundtrip out of FLL to Europe. They called it the Atlantic Adventurer when we took it in 2011, don't know if that is still the name of that trip. I love traveling by cruise ship and will pick it over flying every time. I love that you get to see places while going to another continent and adjust slowly to the time change. I agree with your husband though....I wouldn't have wanted to use vacation days on sea days while working either. Now I love sea days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suppose of someone could make a meal out of peanut butter and crackers, then they could also make a cruise out of one night on a ferry!

I am not sure if any company does these now, but there used to be companies that did gambling/dinner cruises that went out for the evening but were not over nighters. I imagine there could be a lot of people who enjoy gambling that could have stacked up a lot of cruises doing that.

LOL....could you imagine the wake that ship would leave??!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The mind boggles!!!!! :eek:

Our Transatlantic crossings were a necessity as we don't fly but I loved every minute of them and hope to be able to get back to see some more of America one day.

Did the OP say this was a 3 hour trip? No overnight and no cabin? If so then where we live that would be called a boat ride - lol. ;) We have our own boat and while not a ship - we often "cruise" around. Honestly - I think I'd skip listing that but do what makes you happy. :D

Did the OP say this was a 3 hour trip? No overnight and no cabin? If so then where we live that would be called a boat ride - lol. ;) We have our own boat and while not a ship - we often "cruise" around. Honestly - I think I'd skip listing that but do what makes you happy. :D

Jane, on the Seaescape in 1989 you could rent a cabin for an extra fee lol! but there was not enough for all PAX. They alos only fed us by buffet although we could have had a sit down dinner for an extra fee like the stateroom. Again,not enough for all PAX to dot his -first come first serve at the extra fee.