Sydney's The Rocks: Hip, Happening Place!!

TLCOhio

From the Independent newspaper in London/UK, they had this headline on Tuesday earlier this week: "Sydney’s hip harbourside The Rocks: A journey from criminal to cultural".

Here are some of their story highlights: "​Sydney's first settlement has a colourful past and a bright future. The Rocks hides its less than salubrious past beneath a veneer of tourist allure. Sydney's first European settlement, right on the shoreline, flanked by the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, has been restless since the moment the British First Fleet disgorged its convicts there in 1788 and created the colony that burgeoned into Australia. This area has always been a shock absorber, withstanding 19th-century notoriety as the heartland of booze and brothels, roamed by ruffians, cops and criminals, then becoming Sydney's booming trade hub with warehouses occupying the waterfront, crawling up and over the hill, creating a nexus of streets and long back alleys."

This detailed profile has lots of specific ideas and potentials to consider for seeing, doing, etc., while visiting this area of Sydney. We just loved walking around The Rocks, soaking up its amazing history, charm and character. Plus, it is so handy for where many board their cruise ship, go to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, etc.

Below are a few of my pictures from The Rocks that I had not previously posted on my live/blog thread. More info, visuals, etc., on Sydney, Australia, NZ, etc., can be found on this series of CC Board postings.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ausandpacific/sydney-s-hip-harbourside-the-rocks-a-journey-from-criminal-to-cultural-a6719126.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,492 views for this posting.

Here is a sampling of my pictures for certain views in and around The Rocks of Sydney. These visuals are reflecting just a few of its many dining and shopping options, plus showing this setting with its historic architecture, nearness to the Harbour Bridge, etc.:

Oct2015PixsA9_zps4ttqb8oy.jpg

Oct2015PixsA11_zpslxrbvwks.jpg

Oct2015PixsA13_zpsy9g2aakw.jpg

Oct2015PixsA12_zps5jlfjo2c.jpg

Oct2015PixsA14_zpso2pykyxu.jpg

Oct2015PixsA10_zpss2vwgpzv.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Thank you for posting these! It truly is one of my favorite places in the world to visit and I can never get enough. I suspect you feel the same. What is it about Oz that gets into one's blood? Thirteen visits and counting....🐨 🌏🇦🇺❤️

Thank you for posting these! It truly is one of my favorite places in the world to visit and I can never get enough. I suspect you feel the same. What is it about Oz that gets into one's blood? Thirteen visits and counting.

Appreciate your kind follow-up and comments on the early post about my pictures and some details on The Rocks. Below are a few more of my visuals from this historic, interesting and charming area.

WOW! that you have done thirteen visits there. We have only been there once. Would like to go back, but we have lots of other places (including South Africa and Botswana in Feb. 2016) where we have never previously been to able to visit. Want to go back to Australia, but there are other places that are crying out for us to do a first visit there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 188,735 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few more of my visuals from The Rocks. This includes my wife (in pink hat) jumping in to check out and sample some of the retail action at the market portion of this charming areas. Plus, a second visual shows some of the local options for shopping, dining, etc. Our pre-cruise hotel, the Four Seasons, is showing in the background. The third and fourth pictures give different angles and views on these various structures.:

GBRLizIslanReef9_zpsf852448e.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef10_zps285b8b38.jpg

Nov2015PixsA2_zpsanbtqvns.jpg

Nov2015PixsA1_zpsdnzvaow9.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

I don't think any locals would describe the rocks as hip and happening... (I may be wrong). It is avoided by most of the younger trendy set in favour of the inner suburbs such as Balmain, Newtown, Glebe etc.

It does have its own feel, but IMHO the large liners coming into Sydney are certainly having an impact on the feel of the rocks on any given day. As an example last Thursday the weather wasn't great and voyager of the seas was in. The rocks had the ambience of a large outdoor airport terminal with people sitting with luggage in cafes (nothing on the table near them) or cowering under sheltered park benches if available. Theses changeover days are best spent elsewhere in the city if you are staying a few days pre or post cruise.

I was speaking with a tourism provider and her comment was she hated the very big liners. They are touted as bringing in more $$ but she finds that they actually make less as people. Are intent in killing a few hours for minimum $ before going to the airport or boarding the ship. She also said after speaking to many land based tourists, if they see a ship in they do tend avoid the area.

I think weekend market days this would be less of the case.

I am wondering if this little story is a response to that downturn my friend has mentioned and an endeavour to entice people into the rocks for more than just a "terminal" wait

I don't think any locals would describe the rocks as hip and happening... (I may be wrong). It is avoided by most of the younger trendy set in favour of the inner suburbs such as Balmain, Newtown, Glebe etc.

It does have its own feel, but IMHO the large liners coming into Sydney are certainly having an impact on the feel of the rocks on any given day. As an example last Thursday the weather wasn't great and voyager of the seas was in. The rocks had the ambience of a large outdoor airport terminal with people sitting with luggage in cafes (nothing on the table near them) or cowering under sheltered park benches if available. Theses changeover days are best spent elsewhere in the city if you are staying a few days pre or post cruise.

I was speaking with a tourism provider and her comment was she hated the very big liners. They are touted as bringing in more $$ but she finds that they actually make less as people. Are intent in killing a few hours for minimum $ before going to the airport or boarding the ship. She also said after speaking to many land based tourists, if they see a ship in they do tend avoid the area.

I think weekend market days this would be less of the case.

I am wondering if this little story is a response to that downturn my friend has mentioned and an endeavour to entice people into the rocks for more than just a "terminal" wait

Interesting , but we were there for 4 days last march and stayed in the Rocks while waiting for our cruise to leave. We were amazed at how many people of all ages were partying , dining , sightseeing etc. all along the waterfront. We did venture inland to see other parts of Sydney, but returned in the supper hour and found it very jovial and beautiful...

We described the crowds similar to being in Niagara Falls, Ontario in the peak summer season.. Maybe we were just lucky.

We are spending 4 days there again this year prior to our cruise and are really looking forward to it.

Les

Interesting , but we were there for 4 days last march and stayed in the Rocks while waiting for our cruise to leave. We were amazed at how many people of all ages were partying , dining , sightseeing etc. all along the waterfront. We did venture inland to see other parts of Sydney, but returned in the supper hour and found it very jovial and beautiful...

We described the crowds similar to being in Niagara Falls, Ontario in the peak summer season.. Maybe we were just lucky.

We are spending 4 days there again this year prior to our cruise and are really looking forward to it.

Les

The majority are not in what locals would call the hip set... They re OS visitors Yes the Glenmore and Australian and Lownebrau are pumping but for the malt part it isn't a local scene

Cabinsail. All too familiar with the terminal wait having experienced too close to home.

probably why I don't understand sitting inside. Cafe for 5 hours waiting to embark

I will be visiting the rocks next february when I join Aurora. Any decent bars around where I can sample a local brew that is not too cold ;)

The flight arrives at 7.30am and we sail the next day at 10pm so plenty of time to take a look around. We dock the first day near the rocks and tender the second.

ps- I hope to visit the zoo. Are the ferries easy to use?