Port of Alabama/Mobile

cookiejarvis

Forgive me if there is a thread on this subject...just could not find what I was looking for.

Can anyone provide some details about Mobile/Port of Alabama? We have sailed from a number of ports but never Mobile. Just curious as to what to expect...is it comparable to Miami, Canaveral, Jaxville, Charleston, Tampa? It is easy to get too, what about parking on site and off site, terminal, etc.

Also, INterested in how the staggered check-in works. We got 11-1130 as checkin time. While we have cruised often, we have been able to evade the staggered check in process until now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy Sailing to you all.

Cookie

[

Can anyone provide some details about Mobile/Port of Alabama?

Easy to drive to. Not far off of the interstate and well marked directions.

Just curious as to what to expect...is it comparable to Miami, Canaveral, Jaxville, Charleston, Tampa?

I think it is one of the easiest to get in and out of. I have sailed out of

Canaveral, Jacksonville and Tampa. I like Mobile because the parking deck is right next to the terminal. We dropped off our bags and then parked our car and walked directly over to the terminal. No crossing the street or long walk.

It is easy to get to, what about parking on site and off site, terminal, etc.

I have never parked off site but the terminal seemed like a great, secure option.

We usually drive in the day before and stay at one of the nearby hotels. My favorite are the Renaissance Riverview Hotel and the Hampton Inn. Both are very close to the cruise terminal. We have done one of the hotel packages where you leave your car at the hotel and a limo takes you to the terminal on embark day and picks you up after the cruise is over.

Several things to see in Mobile. The Battleship Mobile, Bellingrath Gardens, a couple of museums and not far from the beaches.

Here is a link about Mobile's hotels, and other attractions.

http://www.mobile.org/

Hope you enjoy Mobile.

The terminal is easy on/off from I-10. You'll see the ship before you reach your exit on Water St.

Where the map says Gulfquest Maritime Museum, that is actually the cruise terminal. The map is wrong. You can switch to satellite view for a better perspective of the area around the terminal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6866347,-88.0376323,16.39z

There is overflow parking at the Civic Center about two blocks away. I think they run a shuttle bus to the terminal. The county parking garage behind the Admiral Hotel is about half what the terminal garage charges and is an easy 10 minute walk to the terminal. (251) 441-7760

Edited by Thorncroft

We have cruised twice from Mobile and have a May 2017 cruise booked fro there. The first time we used the overflow parking and took a bus they sent. The second time we spent the night before at the Microtel in Saraland and they had a stay, park and cruise option.

[

Just curious as to what to expect...is it comparable to Miami, Canaveral, Jaxville, Charleston, Tampa?

Canaveral, Jacksonville and Tampa. I like Mobile because the parking deck is right next to the terminal. We dropped off our bags and then parked our car and walked directly over to the terminal. No crossing the street or long walk.

I have never parked off site but the terminal seemed like a great, secure option.

We usually drive in the day before and stay at one of the nearby hotels. My favorite are the Renaissance Riverview Hotel and the Hampton Inn. Both are very close to the cruise terminal. We have done one of the hotel packages where you leave your car at the hotel and a limo takes you to the terminal on embark day and picks you up after the cruise is over.

Several things to see in Mobile. The Battleship Mobile, Bellingrath Gardens, a couple of museums and not far from the beaches.

Hope you enjoy Mobile.

Thanks for the insight princess. This is exactly what I was looking for. Cookie

Does anyone know of any offsite options other than the stay and cruise packages offered by the hotels?

The cruise port parking is $18/day, which is kind of expensive to me.

Call the Admiral Hotel in Mobile. 251–432–8000. They used to have an arrangement with the parking garage behind the hotel. They may still be able to help you out with reduced price parking. It's an easy 10 minute walk to the port from the parking garage.

Call the Admiral Hotel in Mobile. 251–432–8000. They used to have an arrangement with the parking garage behind the hotel. They may still be able to help you out with reduced price parking. It's an easy 10 minute walk to the port from the parking garage.

Thanks I did give the Admiral a call. They said that they have a cruise package but didn't have a rate for parking only. They said that the Holiday Inn actually manages the garage and suggested that I call them. Holiday Inn said that the garage is actually owned by ParkFirst who owns and manages several garages in town including the new cruise terminal.

Looks like we'll have to wait and see what the November cruisers are coming up with as they make their way to Mobile. I nostalgically remember parking for free somewhere along Water Street when we cruised out of Mobile about 15 years ago.

Thanks I did give the Admiral a call. They said that they have a cruise package but didn't have a rate for parking only. They said that the Holiday Inn actually manages the garage and suggested that I call them. Holiday Inn said that the garage is actually owned by ParkFirst who owns and manages several garages in town including the new cruise terminal.

Looks like we'll have to wait and see what the November cruisers are coming up with as they make their way to Mobile. I nostalgically remember parking for free somewhere along Water Street when we cruised out of Mobile about 15 years ago.

LOL. That free parking under the interstate went away years ago. I think they use that area to store Mardi Gras barricades now.

Edited by Thorncroft

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have an additional information on this?

[

Hope you enjoy Mobile.

LOL. That free parking under the interstate went away years ago. I think they use that area to store Mardi Gras barricades now.

We always prefer to park at the Port. My husband is handicapped and I find it best to drop off our luggage and my husband and then go to park the car and walk back and meet him. This works very well at Port Lauderdale but I do not know anything about the Port at Mobile. Can I do that at Mobile?

We always prefer to park at the Port. My husband is handicapped and I find it best to drop off our luggage and my husband and then go to park the car and walk back and meet him. This works very well at Port Lauderdale but I do not know anything about the Port at Mobile. Can I do that at Mobile?

Yes you can. The parking garage is attached to the terminal. Drive in, drop off luggage, and park. Take the elevator down to check in. You can pre-pay online now and save the hassle of paying when you park.

http://www.shipmobile.com/parking/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Yes you can. The parking garage is attached to the terminal. Drive in, drop off luggage, and park. Take the elevator down to check in. You can pre-pay online now and save the hassle of paying when you park.

http://www.shipmobile.com/parking/

From what I have read on-line the parking garage is not very large. Do you think we will have any problems finding a parking place in the Port Garage?