Latest news with cruising & unrest in Bangkok

Widebay

I am interested to know what is the latest news in regard to cruise ships & Bangkok rioting.

Our Sapphire Princess cruise is not until February 2015, however, out of curiosity, what is happening to the cruise passengers getting off to visit Bangkok at present. Are there certain areas of Bangkok off bounds to visitors.

If the current unrest continues, do the cruise ships go a different port or spend extra time in next port of call??

• 4 weeks later...
I am interested to know what is the latest news in regard to cruise ships & Bangkok rioting.

Our Sapphire Princess cruise is not until February 2015, however, out of curiosity, what is happening to the cruise passengers getting off to visit Bangkok at present. Are there certain areas of Bangkok off bounds to visitors.

If the current unrest continues, do the cruise ships go a different port or spend extra time in next port of call??

I am taking the Sapphire Dec 18 for 21 days RT Singapore, then we are flying to Siem Reap for a 4 day visit to Angkor Wat and surrounding area. I'll post here after I return Jan 13, 2015 if only to let you know how it was in Bangkok. I am hopeful that we will visit Bangkok, its best to be positive when traveling.

I'm on the sapphire in october. I'm on a b2b which puts me in thailand twice. the first public cruise for the sapphire in asia is in september. I'm waiting (im)patiently for a review! if no one posts beforehand, I will try to remember upon my return. things can change so quickly though that if I make it you may not or vice versa.

if the port is missed, often its another sea day. the ports are booked far in advance and berthing space may not be available for an earlier extra day.

We were in Bangkok, as part of a DIY land tour, during previous unrest. The local taxi drivers knew exactly where the problems were and kept us well away from any trouble. Our experience was that the hotspots of unrest were quite localised and other parts of the city and surrounding areas appeared totally unaffected.

We wouldn't have any issues with travelling to Bangkok at the moment - Thailand is a wonderful country with wonderful people.

I was in Bangkok during the 2010-11 protests that turned deadly and I found local resources to be some of the best.

The Bangkok Post carried daily updates on active areas of town. Even during the worst of it, there were usually only small areas of town that were inaccessible.

But the VERY best resource was (and continues to be) an international blogger who is there. During any worrisome activity, he maintains detailed maps that he updates daily. http://www.richardbarrow.com

I would not let the current situation deter my travels there, especially into 2015.