Alitalia Airline

Catnip

I'm flying Alitalia to Rome in a few days. I have checked the airline website and it says carry-on weight is only 11 pounds!!! :eek: Geez, the roll-aboard suitcase probably weighs 4-5 pounds empty. Has anyone here flown Alitalia recently, and do they weigh your carry-on cases?

If you are not seated in business class I would not take more than the limit. Also, overseas airlines generally do not let you take a roll-on bag onboard. You usually have to gate check them, and since the recent security threats, they must be checked through to final destination. The carryon bag size now allowed from the UK is enough to carry a laptop and a couple other items. Check for bag size dimensions so you are not disappointed at the airport.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers, Pam

Thanks for the info! We have flown on Lufthansa several times and have never had problems with our roll-aboards. Is this something new, about not being allowed to use roll-aboards? If so, I will pack everything in a duffle/tote bag.

We are flying Business Class, and am wondering if the weight limit is still 11 pounds. :confused:

Is this something new, about not being allowed to use roll-aboards?
Usually, people who are refused a roll-aboard are simply trying to take one that is either too big or too heavy. If a roll-aboard fits that airline's size and weight limitations, there's no reason why it shouldn't be taken on board.

Of course, one wonderful feature of only being allowed to take a small amount on board is that it takes less time to load and unload the aircraft, and there is no fighting for bin space so that you can board last and still know that there will be plenty of room for your bags.

I just came over here to post the exact same question.

We're flying business class on Aeromexico from Mexico City to Madrid and I know they'll let me carry on just about anything. But.... We're connecting with Allitalia from Madrid to Rome in coach. It sounds to me like a roll on would be risky????? I don't think that my roll on will fit under the seat in coach so I would need store it in the overhead bin. I was really hoping to be able to carry one at least one change of clothes in case, god forbid our bags don't make it all the way from Cancun to Rome with 2 connections.

Any opinions????

I just came over here to post the exact same question.

I was really hoping to be able to carry one at least one change of clothes in case, god forbid our bags don't make it all the way from Cancun to Rome with 2 connections.

EXACTLY! I have a smallish roll-aboard (19 inches), which I carry all my medication, travel documents, money & jewelry, 2 books and one change of clothes. The roll-aboard alone weighs 5 pounds empty!! :eek: So, with a carry-on limit of 11 pounds (how stupid is that?), I can't take all of that.

With more and more checked bags these days, you can be sure that more and more bags will be lost. :mad:

I called Alitalia yesterday and the agent confimed that 11 pounds is all you can take for carry-ons! :cool:

So, with a carry-on limit of 11 pounds (how stupid is that?)
There's nothing stupid about it. If you regularly flew on airlines that have strict cabin baggage limits, you'd soon see exactly what the benefits are: Amongst other things, faster to get on and to get off, and guaranteed space to store your things without having to play games to get on first. (Indeed, so much so that the airlines only call their premium customers to board the aircraft after most of the rest of the passengers have already boarded.)

In fact, that's actually enough a big enough cabin baggage allowance to go on weekend trips. Most of my Hong Kong weekends are done exactly like that.

There's nothing stupid about it. If you regularly flew on airlines that have strict cabin baggage limits, you'd soon see exactly what the benefits are: Amongst other things, faster to get on and to get off, and guaranteed space to store your things without having to play games to get on first. (Indeed, so much so that the airlines only call their premium customers to board the aircraft after most of the rest of the passengers have already boarded.)

In fact, that's actually enough a big enough cabin baggage allowance to go on weekend trips. Most of my Hong Kong weekends are done exactly like that.

Guess we'll have to disagree on this! :rolleyes: I think 11 pounds is absurd! I am going for a week overseas, not a weekend. 2 books, my medications and my purse will weigh over 11 pounds!! :eek:

I am going for a week overseas, not a weekend.
In which case, you're going to have to check a bag, anyway. When I carry on one bag of less than 11 lbs for a weekend away, everything that I need for the entire weekend is in that bag, including all my changes of clothes, and it's still within the weight limit.

Archived