What's open in french qtr on thanksgiving?

jdemps

We'll be arriving at the Royal Sonesta on Thanksgiving this year and we're curious if it's business as usual or if there are certain bars and restaurants that are closed. We would like to go to a more casual restaurant for dinner because travelling all day for most of us is going to have us pretty wiped out and not in the mood for a fancy dining experience. Looking for recommendations for a fun, casual place for Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

The bars will be open as usual, but your restaurant choices will be limited. A lot of the restaurants will be closed, and those that are open usually have a fixed-price menu.

When it gets closer to Thanksgiving, you can look here:

http://www.nomenu.com

For a list of Thanksgiving openings. It would be a good idea to decide on a venue and make reservations early, because they will be very busy. The ones I know are open and can highly recommend are Muriel's on Jackson Square, Tujague's on Decatur and Redfish Grill on Bourbon.

The city will be busy that weekend as the Bayou Classic is that Saturday in New Orleans. There will also be a "step show" on Friday so expect to see a lot of college kids in town. Bayou Classic is a football game between the two historically African American Universities in the Louisiana area and people start to flood into the city starting late on Thanksgiving evening and staying through the weekend. Plan accordingly to expect crowds and some restaurant closures due to the holiday.

Do any of the bars that are open also serve food? Are we going to be limited to pizza delivery to the hotel for any kind of food outside of a fancy restaurant that is open with a set menu?

I know all about the Bayou Classic and have a balcony table reserved at Jackson's Bistro Bar to view the parade around 4pm on Thanksgiving so they are open so should we just eat there?

I'm wondering if I should just cancel coming in on Thanksgiving if nothing "regular" is open that night for dinner. I understand it's a holiday but with so many people coming in for the classic, I thought more casual restaurants would be open to try some NOLA foods.

Thanks for your help!

I may be mistaken but I am almost certain that all the outdoor tables at that restaurant face the river and not the street side so you would need to make your way outside and stand on the street to see the parade with the rest of the crowds. JAX is in a very touristy area so the crowds will be thick. There will be some restaurants open but expect several to be closed on Thanksgiving day. You will not be hurting for food if you are flexible.