Pitaya?

c-leg5

Hmm. Website says corner of malecon and Calle Martillo. So might be on the north side in that area that was next to El Delphin? The south corner is the coffee shop and small Mercado next to Fernando's and Ibiza Sunset. Or did Ibiza Sunset change owners? Could that be one of the new ventures from Playa Jaime who used to have No Hoch Kay?

I could reach out to Steve Uhl and find out the scoop.

Hmm. Website says corner of malecon and Calle Martillo. So might be on the north side in that area that was next to El Delphin? The south corner is the coffee shop and small Mercado next to Fernando's and Ibiza Sunset. Or did Ibiza Sunset change owners? Could that be one of the new ventures from Playa Jaime who used to have No Hoch Kay?

I could reach out to Steve Uhl and find out the scoop.

Thanks Crew, thought you might be able to help with location. It says next to Capitania de puerto? I am not that familiar with Costa Maya as we are unable to do many itineraries there.

Surprised we haven't seen any reports on here (I did a search) but did find a few on Tripadvisor. Seem to be conflicting reports as to whether loungers are free with purchase of food and drink.

C-legs...It's owned by an Italian family. One of those places that frequently change hands. Next to Green Iguana and El Delphin .

New . Hearing they did a nice job with their beach front. Remains to be seen if they succeed.

Thanks Crew! Will get to Costa Maya later this year hopefully. Been awhile. Probably time to check out the malecon again.

• 2 weeks later...
Had a really nice day at Pitaya last week. Great shade and good service! Thick cushion loungers. Clean bathroom!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for update.

Did you do PAYG and did you have to pay for loungers?

Had a really nice day at Pitaya last week. Great shade and good service! Thick cushion loungers. Clean bathroom!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for this suggestion. How far was this from the cruise port? Was it easy to get a taxi to and from?

Thank you for this suggestion. How far was this from the cruise port? Was it easy to get a taxi to and from?

It is on the malecon along with all the other beach clubs. See Crew's replies for exact location.

They have a website if you google.

• 3 weeks later...

Pitaya Beach, in my opinion, is the best beach club on the Malecon, Gaia, the manager, is always there and ensures that all guests are taken care of. There is a $15USD deposit per person that is charged upfront, this starts your tab for the day, everything you consume is subtracted from that amount and if you surpass the amount you pay your tab upon leaving. The location is very relaxing, clean and the service is fantastic. We were there for my Birthday and Gaia cooked up a delicious chocolate torte, Gaia and Victor, came out and personally delivered it while singing happy birthday! The lounge chairs have thick, clean cushions on them, the shade, or indirect sun, is provided by several white shade sails. The bathrooms are very clean! Pitaya beach tends to attract the quieter crowd, not a rowdy loud clientele. While we were there we heard many stories about how other beach clubs were over charging the "gringos", at Pitaya you pay for what you consume and you get great food and service! Massage was also fantastic (200mxn pesos (10USD) 1/2 hour - 300mxn pesos(15USD) 1 hour) Strong hands!!! They are also one of the first to clear any seaweed that washes up onto the beach, this tends to happen on windy days. You won't regret spending the day here!

Pitaya is very new. The review from clbrink is the first I have seen. Sounds great for a quieter beach with good service. These folks are italian, I beleive and used to handling Europeans so expect a different tact from the cerveza and nachos places. Steve at Tropicante is glad to see "good" competition as he's getting a bit tired of the rascals trying to extort cruisers at places all along the malecon. I'm even hearing that places like Yayas are jumping on the wrong bandwagon too. It's a bit cut throat along the malecon for business owners as more and more are trying to horn in on the area and there's a lot of empty lots or vacated spaces from where others have tried and failed. and also there are not cruise ships there every day. Sometimes 1 some times 2 but certainly Friday through Monday/Tuesday it's quiet. So it's nice to hear of the great service.

You've had a lot of experience at various places throughout the Caribbean, so maybe give Pitaya a go and see if you agree with clblink. Plus you can still walk up a block and say hey to Steve and have a drink of the "local" hooch at his other places, Buster's. Be sure to say hey to Buster too. Enjoy Mahahual before it turns into s seedy Cancun.

With Ichkabal due to open in a year, Bacalar and Mahahual will be quickly turned into another Cancun, sadly. I love this whole area and am planning a "land trip" to see it all before it is changed into a typical tourist trap!