Help with Rome pre cruise

Giantfan13

We are doing a transatlantic cruise in Nov 1917 on RCI. We plan on a 4-5 pre cruise stay in Rome.

A few questions and any help would be appreciated.

We are two seniors, who are decent enough walkers. We were looking for other options to get from Rome to Civitavecchia. I've read about limo's and such, but we were hoping to do either a train or a bus. Is this a decent enough option, or are there many complications. We will have several large pieces of luggage.

IF we can do the train (or bus) where should we be looking for hotels--around by the train station?

Is there some type of express bus from Rome to Civitavecchia? We did a Baltic cruise several years ago from London (Dover) and there were several options to get from London to Dover. We did a bus for about $10PP which worked out great. Are there any such options like this in Rome?

If we can do this alternate travel, how do we get from the train station, or bus station, to the ship in Civitavecchia ?

We are on a sort of tight budget, so can anyone recommend a decent enough hotel in said area. We plan on staying 5 nights?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

There is not any express bus service between Rome and Civitavecchia. You can do a shared shuttle pickup from your hotel to your ship for around 70 euro for 2 people (that's about the lowest price for a reliable service...)

If you want to go cheaper than that (assuming you don't want to join a group), then the train is really your only option. The cost is negligible for the tickets if you elect to take one of the Regionale trains, but there are some drawbacks, namely:

-- The platform from which these trains leave is a long walk from the head of the station at Termini (Rome's main station). Like several blocks long.

-- There is no assigned seating on the Regionale trains. If you leave from Termini and you are going at mid-day, this probably won't be a problem, but you could potentially have to stand part or all of the way.

-- Once you arrive at Civitavecchia, you must get from the train station to the port, which involves either a walk of just under a mile (with luggage in tow) or paying a couple of euro per person for a local bus that picks up at the station and drops you at the entrance to the port. From there, you have to transfer to a FREE shuttle that takes you directly to your ship.

As you can see, it's a little convoluted, and not very easy with luggage. It can be made a bit easier by taking one of the higher-category trains that do have assigned seating and don't have the long walk in Termini station. And you can try to get a taxi at Civitavecchia station to take you directly to your ship, but assuming there's one available, they are likely to charge you something like 20 euro for the short trip...

I'm going to post separately on hotels.

Hotels...

Let me preface by saying there's nothing inherently wrong with Termini. I've stayed there, several times. But it is certainly one of the more charmless areas of Rome.

I regard it as a place to stay IF I am only in Rome for one night and I am commuting to/from somewhere using the train. Otherwise, I would stay elsewhere.

If you're going to be 4-5 days in Rome, doesn't it make more sense to base yourself somewhere central for those 4-5 days of getting around Rome, and somewhere that's enjoyable to wander in the evenings as well? Rather than basing it on just your one-time coming and going?

A taxi from most hotels in the "centro storico" to Termini is probably only going to be 10-14 euro.

Let us know what your budget is for hotels and whether you decide you want something near Termini or something nearer the center. On the positive side, November is off-season and prices will be more reasonable than during the summer months.

P.S. I hope you're not planning to travel in 1917. If so, you've 'missed the boat'!

We are in a similar situation, having never been to Rome. We are staying at Hotel Napoleon and I'm not sure how convenient that is to the sites. I am hoping to hook up with a small group with an English speaking guide in a van that would hold 6 to 10 people and let them show me the city and sites. Does this seem reasonable? We will only be there for two days prior to the cruise. There is another couple with us, but they will be doing their own thing as they have been to Rome before and will not want to see the same sites over again.

[

P.S. I hope you're not planning to travel in 1917. If so, you've 'missed the boat'!

Ha, you think :D:D:D

Anyway, thanks for the great advice, about the train and the area for hotels. Ourselves, we are not 'fancy' hotel people as we spend very limited time in the hotel, so luxury isn't a necessity. As long as it is clean and the people are nice. We have always tried for sort of 'private' hotels, owned by locals, instead of the mass market ones. Things like Bed and Breakfasts are great when we travel in the states. As I said, our budget is limited, so less expensive, the better.

You mentioned a train with assigned seating, where can I find info on things like this?

Myself, I have been to Rome, but that was about 50 years ago, when I was in the Service, so, as they say, a very long time ago, and we are so looking forward to seeing it now. We are adventurous, in the sense we rarely do tours, so we will probably be doing things on our own. Any main suggestions for that, or is that the topic of another thread? :D:D:D

Cheers

Len

In the center, you might consider the Hotel Navona -- extremely well located but modest hotel very close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. The hotel is located on several floors of an old palazzo, but completely modernized. Very much like a B&B; I met and chatted with one of the owners who was helping out in the breakfast room. Rooms are small, but as you say, one doesn't go to Rome to sit in one's room.

Another modest hotel in the vicinity that has gotten a fair number of recommendations is Hotel Smeraldo. I haven't stayed there personally though...

If you opt to stay near Termini there are a number of small, modest hotels. One I have tried is Hotel Sonya (also a Rick Steves recommendation), but it was very average. I'd look for something closer to the actual station IF you go the route of staying in this area.

If you want to look at train schedules, use the Trenitalia.com site. Regional train schedules are only published a few weeks in advance but they rarely change much. For research purposes, just pick a date a few days in the future and look at your options. If you want to consider the trains with guaranteed seating, look for either an IC train or a Frecce (the 'fast' trains).

If you need specific help, just post. Several posters here are quite good with trains and schedules!

I'd also start another post on what to see in Rome. I'm a big proponent of DIY touring and it's relatively easy in Rome.

You might want to keep your luggage down to one large bag each plus one carryon each. I say this because hotels and elevators in Italy are small and also bringing this on the train - it is much easier if you can easily manage your own luggage.

We are also on the cheap, we cruise in Oct on the 11th and are staying at Hotel Lirico for one night,walking distance from train station. Then catch a train in early afternoon to the ship and will book 1st class so we get assigned seats.

You'll hear a lot of Negative stuff about the trains to and from Rome, but I really think that a lot of it is scare mongering to get people on tours. If you're arriving ahead of time the train is definitely the way to go. It's scenic and picturesque for a start. And comfortable too.

I'm a crew member who did that route last summer. I posted some tips on where to find free wifi etc in Los of the ports if you're interested. A Rough Lonely Trip Advising Guide to the Med - http://wp.me/p6Ptmi-kk

Enjoy your cruises everybody!

If you leave from Termini station, I believe only the high speed trains go to Civitavecchia. They cost around 28 Euro. If you take the regional train, the cost is around 7 Euro. Regional trains to Civitavecchia can be taken from Trastevere or Ostiense stations which means a lot less walking lugging your baggage to get to the platform. Cruisemom42, correct me if I'm mistaken.

A couple of more questions.

We were recommended to a bed and breakfast near the Vatican, very inexpensive and getting great reviews,

So, is this a good location, rather than staying by the train station? It is supposed to be a few blocks from the Vatican and a couple of blocks from a metro station.

If we book here, how do me get from hotel to train station?? Taxi I suppose and about how far away is it?

We booked our flight and we are arriving on Nov 1 at about 2:30 PM. What do people usually do to get from the airport to where they are staying? on reading a review of the hotel, they will supply transportation at a cost of about $45 euros. Is that about right? Do I have other options? We will probably be tired from flying all night and really not looking to 'schlep' around trying to save a few pennies, but if there are other options, I would, at least, like to explore them.

Once again, thanks for all the great suggestions and help.

Cheers

Len

PS. If anyone is looking into a Baltic cruise, I have been a regular on the Northern Europe/Baltic port of call board for many years and I sure can help with something in that area, if needed.

Hello Len,

Please find this link for many options to get you from FCO to Rome:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c144716/Rome:Italy:To.And.From.Fiumicino.Airport.Fco.html

As far as getting from your hotel in Rome to Civitavecchia, take a look at this site: www.romelimousines.com/.

By the way they also offer transport from FCO to your Rome hotel.

Regards,

Luc

A couple of more questions.

We were recommended to a bed and breakfast near the Vatican, very inexpensive and getting great reviews,

So, is this a good location, rather than staying by the train station? It is supposed to be a few blocks from the Vatican and a couple of blocks from a metro station.

IMHO, the area around the Vatican is preferable to Termini. It is not in the center of the historic district but is doable by utilizing the metro/bus and/or and doing some walking. Do you have the address of the B&B so that we can tell you which is the closest metro station to your B&B?

If we book here, how do me get from hotel to train station?? Taxi I suppose and about how far away is it?

If you want to travel by train from Rome to Civi, you need not catch the train from Termini. If you are staying near the Vatican, it makes more sense to take the train from San Pietro train station to Civi.

We booked our flight and we are arriving on Nov 1 at about 2:30 PM. What do people usually do to get from the airport to where they are staying? on reading a review of the hotel, they will supply transportation at a cost of about $45 euros. Is that about right? Do I have other options? We will probably be tired from flying all night and really not looking to 'schlep' around trying to save a few pennies, but if there are other options, I would, at least, like to explore them.

Yes, you have options other than a taxi - there is an express train and buses that will take you from FCO into Rome (we have used both the Leonardo Express & taxi options). Lots of info can be found here:

https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/fiumicino_airport_train.htm

Forgot to mention - if you book near the Vatican, the SIT Airport Bus is a very inexpensive option (6,00€ pp) from FCO and, bonus, it includes a stop near the Vatican (Piazza Cavour). Buses run every 45 minutes & there is plenty of room for luggage storage on the bus but you would need to schlep your luggage from Piazza Cavour to your B&B.

Thanks for your replies. Haven't chatted with you in a while.

Do ANY hotels in Rome offer something like free airport pick-up?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

On a previous post, I gave erroneous info. I have since learned that you can indeed take a regional train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. However, it is nevertheless advantageous to take it from one of the other stations to avoid that long walk.

Thanks for your replies. Haven't chatted with you in a while.

Do ANY hotels in Rome offer something like free airport pick-up?

Cheers

Len

I am not aware of any hotels that offer free airport pick-up - there are probably a few but those would most likely be very expensive hotels. You will not find budget accommodations that offer free shuttle service to/from FCO. I remember back in the 90's we stayed at a hotel that offered free airport pick-up but that no longer exists at the hotel - they now charge a fee. The higher end hotels that offer shuttle service to FCO usually charge their clients a supplement (usually around 10 - 15 per person) - not a great deal if one is on a tight budget.

The reason I asked was we have a free night at any Hilton or Hilton associates, anywhere in the world. My thinking was maybe use that to maybe get a free shuttle into Rome for our first night and once there, we can stay at other accommodations. Again, sort of just thinking out loud about it.

I did a Google search of transportation from the airport to central Rome and a couple of shared Shuttles came up for about $35 dollars. Has anyone heard or know about this option?

Cheers

Len

A regular taxi from the airport in Rome to any location in the Centro Storico (within the Aurelian walls) is 48 euro; drivers cannot charge you extra for luggage. I don't believe the Vatican area is included in this fixed rate.

There is an express train to Termini from the airport that costs 14 euro per person, but it's not worth it unless you are staying near Termini, since you'd still have to take the metro or a taxi to your hotel.

Shared shuttles like the one you quote are an option, be sure you look for one with positive reviews.

There's also a couple of express buses from FCO airport to Termini that cost very little, for example 4 euro per person for Terravision, which I've used in the past.

For some good info on available options, read here: https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/fiumicino_airport_bus.htm

I've looked at some of the site that you all provided and once again, that you so much for the advice.

I do hate to ask questions that might have been asked and answered, but I do need to clarify a couple of things.

I think we arrive at terminal 3 at the airport. ( We are flying in on Iberian (SP) Airlines). Now if we want to take a train or a bus into Rome, does that involve a lot of walking with all our luggage to where we would catch either of them? If so, are there carts that can help you along? About how far are we walking to catch either of those rides.?

Now once we are on either bus or train and arrive at Termini, we most likely will have to either get a taxi or try the metro to get to our hotel. So, once again, will it be a long walk to either a taxi stand or the metro station, that would be best to get to our hotel? We don't mind walking, but we are both seniors and as I said once before 'schlepping' luggage around isn't our forte. If either are quite a hike with luggage, then we surely need to rethink other options

And is it 'easy' to carry luggage on either the metro or bus?

Cheers

Len

I've looked at some of the site that you all provided and once again, that you so much for the advice.

I do hate to ask questions that might have been asked and answered, but I do need to clarify a couple of things.

I think we arrive at terminal 3 at the airport. ( We are flying in on Iberian (SP) Airlines). Now if we want to take a train or a bus into Rome, does that involve a lot of walking with all our luggage to where we would catch either of them? If so, are there carts that can help you along? About how far are we walking to catch either of those rides.?

Now once we are on either bus or train and arrive at Termini, we most likely will have to either get a taxi or try the metro to get to our hotel. So, once again, will it be a long walk to either a taxi stand or the metro station, that would be best to get to our hotel? We don't mind walking, but we are both seniors and as I said once before 'schlepping' luggage around isn't our forte. If either are quite a hike with luggage, then we surely need to rethink other options

And is it 'easy' to carry luggage on either the metro or bus?

Cheers

Len

Len, I just wrote you a long, detailed response to your post. But Cruise Critic's new CAPTCHA software zapped it, even after I correctly proved that "I am not a robot."

For anyone that hasn't had to deal with this annoyance over the last three weeks, count yourself lucky. I have wasted the equivalent at least several hours researching questions and posting detailed information only to have it disappear EVEN AFTER I correctly go through their ID process.....

I apologize, but I am not going to respond to any detailed questions again until after Cruise Critic fixes this issue (which they said they would more than two weeks ago!!!!) :mad:

Len, I just wrote you a long, detailed response to your post. But Cruise Critic's new CAPTCHA software zapped it, even after I correctly proved that "I am not a robot."

For anyone that hasn't had to deal with this annoyance over the last three weeks, count yourself lucky. I have wasted the equivalent at least several hours researching questions and posting detailed information only to have it disappear EVEN AFTER I correctly go through their ID process.....

I apologize, but I am not going to respond to any detailed questions again until after Cruise Critic fixes this issue (which they said they would more than two weeks ago!!!!) :mad:

Cruisemom42,

What a shame it would be to loose the benefit of your enlightened counsel because of cruise critic's new limitations. Hope they fix this soon!

Luc

Okay, I'm going to answer you in segments that I've pre-typed in Word. Hopefully this will work.

I think we arrive at terminal 3 at the airport. ( We are flying in on Iberian (SP) Airlines). Now if we want to take a train or a bus into Rome, does that involve a lot of walking with all our luggage to where we would catch either of them? If so, are there carts that can help you along? About how far are we walking to catch either of those rides?

Most international flights end up coming through Terminal 3. You’ll walk a block or two to the Passport control, wait in line to get your passport stamped, then walk another couple of blocks to Baggage Claim. Once you retrieve your bags, it’s a short distance to the Customs and exit. (For all of this, just follow the herd and the signage.) You’ll exit through the “Nothing to declare” aisle, and then you will be in the main arrivals hall where lots of drivers will be waiting with signs to pick up passengers.

For the bus, you’ll go straight through this area and exit to the outside, then turn and walk to your right to reach the area where the express buses park – should be about a block or two, depending where you exit T3, but it’s flat easy sidewalk.You can purchase tickets here as well. Luggage gets stowed by you under the bus.

For the train, you should just follow the signs (above you) in the arrivals hall to reach the train station. You will need to go up a level (there are stairs,escalators, and an elevator in different locations, if you can find them and if they are all working….) and you’ll have to cross the street, either at ground level or through a walkway on the upper level. It sounds confusing but if you follow the signs, you really can’t go wrong.

I think there are luggage carts but have never used them. It’s really better to be able to manage everything yourself. Obviously you can’t take the carts on the escalator or stairs, so you’d have to locate the elevator. And there’s a turnstile to go through at the train station, which I’m sure you cannot take any cart beyond. It’s worth mentioning that you generally have to go up 3-4 steep and narrow steps into the train carriage, and you’ll have to trundle any luggage up those steps on your own; there are no porters.