Carnival cruise in August 2014

ana.liza.92

Hi travelers,

Me and my girlfriends with our kids (ages 2-15) total 8 in our group are going on a carnival cruise to Key West and Cozumel. I need suggestions please as to excursions we can do with the age group that we have. In Key West (7:30- 4:00 PM) we are thinking of doing the conch tour, any suggestion of a cheap and reliable tour guide? We also want to just lay on the beach and let the kids play and swim, we don't like to party and we don't like crowded places. Any suggestions of a kid friendly beach(free) that we can have lunch by the beach in Key West? We are also up to any other suggestions you may have for activities (6-7 hrs.)

We also would like to explore Cozumel, our ship docks at 1:30 PM-10 PM. We like to try the Tulum mayan ruins and explore the beach below it. Are there any souvenir shops near the Tulum ruins? Are they expensive? We are thinking of renting a Van and a driver ($250 for 6 hrs. for a *party of 8) to take us to Tulum and any nearby beach to swim and have dinner, is that a reasonable price? My other concerns are that we will start in the afternoon and not sure how late Tulum is open and if we have enough time to get there and do some sightseeing and swimming and shopping. Is there any other activities we can do at night that is ideal for the kids? We also would like to try great authentic Mexican cuisine preferably seafood. We like the mom and pop restaurant vibe by the beach and do not care for 5 star treatment.

Also, I have heard that there are a lot of taxi or tour guides in the pier where Carnival docks or by the ferry terminal at Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen that will offer you their services at a much cheaper price than the ones advertised in the internet and we have someone in our party that speaks Spanish but I don't know if this is true and safe. Would anyone recommend that we try that instead?

I apologize for asking too much questions and any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Ana

If you do the Conch tour, I assume you mean the Conch Train tour. You will not need a tour guide for that. The train's conductor narrates the tour while he drives the Conch Train around town.

I like this tour alot as a quick ride to see the highlights of Key West. I think it lasts about an hour with one short rest stop at a souvenier shop.

As for the beach, Fort Zachary Taylor State Park has a beach with a roped off swimming area and rather gentle waves. Don't allow your children to venture out of the roped off area at the side beyond the rock wall because boats go flying past there and the current can be strong. I actually saw snorkelers in that area this week even though a sign states in large letters, "No Swimming."

This beach has a shady area with picnic tables under the trees and there is a snack shop and bathrooms. The beach is not a typical tropical paradise such as you would find in Hawaii, but I think it is lovely, peaceful and not really crowded.

One other place your youngsters might enjoy in Key West is the Butterfly Conservatory on Duval Street.

If you plan a trip to Talum from Cozumel, be aware that it is a very long trip that includes a ferry ride to Playa del Carmen, then a long bus ride to Tulum, then you have to do all that in reverse. It makes a long and, in August, very hot day. It might be a challenge with several children in tow.

I hope you and your friends have a great and memorable cruise. I love Key West.

Unless your kids are "really" into history, the Tulum Ruins would be a long, hot, boring day for them. The ruins are cool for kids to see for a short time, but the amount of time it would take to get everyone there would not be worth it IMO. Lots of transfers and bus riding.

You might be better off hiring a van in Cozumel that will take you to the San Gervasio ruins, then to the beach for the rest of the day. MUCH easier with kids.

Key West is not known for their beaches. Ft. Zachary beach is OK. That's about it. I think they would like to do the Conch Train, then maybe wander around the marina area where they can watch the fishermen bring in their catches, go to Turtle Kraals for the turtle races, go to the Aquarium and watch them feed the sharks. Lot's of stuff to do in Key West, but a beach day would not be on the top of the "tourism" list here.

You could go to the new beach at the lower end of Simonton and rent chairs and towels and an umbrella, but otherwise access is free. There is an area for swimming and you can buy a reasonable lunch at the small café there - Lagerheads. I didn't realize the settings on my camera were wrong but ...

?tn=-215627624

?tn=847579970

The fish sandwiches and tacos are very good, and you can buy a beer along with soft drinks. It is basically between the Pier House and the dock at the Hyatt, and IMO so far it has not been discovered by tourists.

Pjk

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, I will keep them in mind. We did cancel our tulum trip coz we arrive in Cozumel in the afternoon therefore not enough time for tulum.

In key west we will definitely try the conch train and if we have time try one of the beach you suggested.

In Cozumel we plan to wing it depending on the time we arrive. For now the plan is to go to maybe paradise beach or an francisco for kids to play and swim and do some shopping before heading back to ship. How much is reasonable for renting a van for at least 6 hrs., is $250 reasonable or not? Where can we go if we rent a van around 2pm to 8 pm? I heard most of Cozumel close at 5.

Appreciate all the info.

Ana

We also would like to explore Cozumel, our ship docks at 1:30 PM-10 PM. We like to try the Tulum mayan ruins and explore the beach below it. Are there any souvenir shops near the Tulum ruins? Are they expensive? We are thinking of renting a Van and a driver ($250 for 6 hrs. for a *party of 8) to take us to Tulum and any nearby beach to swim and have dinner, is that a reasonable price?

Ana

Tulum is a far drive. Will be expensive for you all to get there using the cruise lines excursion. You spend more time on the transportation then you do at the ruins itself. There is a ferry ride and then the bus ride.

There is a reason the excursion is too long. I would NOT be doing this excursion using a private person-- if you miss the ship-- you will have to get back home (just not worth it)

use cozumel insider to find a good beach- all inclusive-- with kid toys to make the most of your day-- but be prepared-- most of the beach stops are closed at 5pm.

Edited by serene56

• 4 weeks later...
You could go to the new beach at the lower end of Simonton and rent chairs and towels and an umbrella, but otherwise access is free. There is an area for swimming and you can buy a reasonable lunch at the small café there - Lagerheads. I didn't realize the settings on my camera were wrong but ...

The fish sandwiches and tacos are very good, and you can buy a beer along with soft drinks. It is basically between the Pier House and the dock at the Hyatt, and IMO so far it has not been discovered by tourists.

Pjk

Does this "new beach" have a name and is it within walking distance of the port?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks so much for all your suggestions, I will keep them in mind. We did cancel our tulum trip coz we arrive in Cozumel in the afternoon therefore not enough time for tulum.

In key west we will definitely try the conch train and if we have time try one of the beach you suggested.

In Cozumel we plan to wing it depending on the time we arrive. For now the plan is to go to maybe paradise beach or an francisco for kids to play and swim and do some shopping before heading back to ship. How much is reasonable for renting a van for at least 6 hrs., is $250 reasonable or not? Where can we go if we rent a van around 2pm to 8 pm? I heard most of Cozumel close at 5.

Appreciate all the info.

Ana

so Ana-- -what did you wind up doing?

• 2 weeks later...

If you do decide to go to the beach in Key West, be sure that you bring some water shoes. It can be kinda rocky and hard on the feet! In Cozumel, I have never been, but heard great things about Chankanaab. I believe it is a park, and you can take a taxi ride over. Check out the Cozumel board, and google it as well. Sometimes there's a coupon!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We had a great time in Key West and Cozumel. I prefer Key West from Cozumel but both places are beautiful. In Key West, we took the conch train. Train stopped twice, first for 15 minutes in a store where you can use the restroom and buy some souvenir, try their key lime pie on a stick! The second stop was about halfway of the trip people have the option to hop off the train and explore and wait for the next train. The train ride was about 1 1/2 hours, it was a great way to explore the island for first timers. You will pass by Hemingway's house, the light house, the southernmost part, etc. I would love to go back to Key West and rent one of those golf carts to explore the island on my own.

In Cozumel, we went to San Francisco beach. Charlie's, San Francisco, Paradise, etc. *are next to each other. There's plenty of umbrella and chairs and snorkeling for rent. The beach was beautiful but not as breathtaking as I imagined it to be. It's not white sand and the sand is course. The water is *green and nice waves for swimming. We did not try snorkeling, because water is not really clear. There are small boats that you can rent if you want to explore the island or snorkel in deep waters. It also has a decent swimming pool. Food and drinks are not so great, and a bit pricey and is not included in the Carnival package. We stayed in the beach for 4 hours and went back to the port.

From the port we took the taxi and explored the downtown area and had dinner in a nice Mexican restaurant called "La Hoza". Food was great and very authentic, we had whole fish grilled and it was sooo delicious. Their house margarita was the bum!

Thank You,

Ana Liza

Hi serena56, yes the kids had fun as well. The twin 2 yr olds loved the train ride and all the kids loved the beach, but they stayed longer in the swimming pool becausecthe little ones like the pool better. The waves on the beach was not very gentle for the little ones.