Back from the Celebration

I am going to have to do this in bits as I don't seem to have any access to Office at the moment and I don't want to type loads and lose it!

Firstly, the ship - We were very impressed with the changes that had been made since our last trip on her in 2008. The bathrooms, particularly, are very nice. Gone are the horrible little pink tiles, replaced by lovely modern ones and the shower has a tiled surround, unlike the Majesty where the water runs all over the floor, soaking the bath mat and anything else in it's path :rolleyes: The shower was very powerful, probably the best one we have had. There was a dispenser in the shower with shower gel and one by the basin for hand washing. Strangely only one tooth mug though. There were the usual towels and also flannels, which pleased DH. Again, there was plenty of storage space, with a double fronted cabinet and vanity unit.

The cabin was a very good size and very nicely decorated with plenty of storage space, 8 drawers and 2 big wardrobes. There was, of course, a kettle and a hair dryer, which worked on a rocker switch, so they could not be operated at the same time.

The only thing that really needs replacing is the carpets in the public areas. Not sure if a good clean would restore them or if they actually need replacing, but you can see the difference in the colour in the middle where people walk compared to the outer areas. The buffet was probably the worst area. Not sure why they don't have tiles or laminate there, but I suppose carpet is safer in rough seas.

Talking of the seas, it was like a millpond all week as was our last cruise on the Majesty, so no ginger or travel pills needed :)

It goes without saying that the ship was spotless and the crew lovely. We didn't have a problem with sunbeds, but ten minutes on the new sun deck on deck 9 had us "shaking all over" Dreadful vibration, but quite funny to see peoples wobbly bits wobbling;)

Our cabin was on deck 2, near the lifts and the gangway, so very handy. The lifts were quite good, a couple of breakdowns, but much better than the Dream.

End of part one!

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Part two - We had an early start, so left Oxford on the Midnight coach :( Sadly the cruise desk didn't open for a while after we got there, but once we put our luggage in we didn't see it again until it arrived outside our cabin :)

The flight was about half an hour late, but we arrived at the ship about 10.30am. After a drink and unpacking, we had a welcome snooze :)

We went to the buffet for our dinner, then went to the sail away which was excellent. The Peakles are the show band and very good. First sail away we have been to for ages, but really enjoyed it. I even joined the Conga Line!

The second day was at sea and we went to a Facebook meet up which was well attended. That night was formal night, so donned our glad rags. I had the duck which was delicious. Afterwards we went to Horizons, where there is a duo called Heart and Mind. Anna May has a beautiful voice.

The third day was our anniversary and we were in Koper. We spent a few hours wandering round Koper and found a lot more than we saw last time. We had just missed the hoho bus, so we were directed to an area where there was a chocolate and sweet fair :) We found a cafe for a drink a wifi, then back to the ship. We went to the dining room again that night,but didn't let on about our anniversary ;)

Time to get the dinner! so end of part two :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

I'm enjoying this review.It's years since we went on this ship

so am i :cool: ... we are going on celeb at christmas (its been a while on celeb for us too)... sounding all good so far

welcome back linda.... hopes you had a good one:cool:

Part three - Day four was Venice. We did the trip Secret Corners with the ship and it was very good. We sailed to St Marks in water taxis, then were taken round by a guide to various nooks and crannies, that we would probably never have found, then taken back to the ship in a launch. It was an early start and we were in St Marks Square by 9am, lovely and quiet. By the time we had finished at noon it was heaving with people! Good trip, but a lot of walking and quite hot.

We were all back on board for sail away when the captain announced we could not go to Sibernik due to high winds, which was strange as the sea was calm the whole week, so we stayed overnight and left at 3pm the next day for Korcula. I think a lot of people stayed on the ship on the second day, but we went off, intending to get a vaporetto into Venice, when we saw the hoho boat (like a hoho bus) and were told it was a BOGOF so we did a complete circuit for €27 for the two of us. No commentary, but if we go again, we shall probably do that again, but get on and off (no time this time as had to be back by 2.30pm)

Sailed away (beautiful) had our dinner in the buffet and went to the show (more about the shows later)

Day six - Korcula was a tender port. Tendering went well. Tickets were issued for a while, but by the time we were ready, it was open tender. Korcula is a gorgeous place. We had a walk round, went in the cathedral, stopped for a beer, chatted to other people from the ship, then had a pizza and got some free wifi. Back to the ship for a 5pm sail away. Dinner in the buffet again, then saw the show.

Day seven - Bari. We had intended to meet up at the port gates with some others from Facebook for a free walking tour, but unfortunately we didn't realize how far away the port gates were, so missed them. We saw a tour bus and got on. €10 each. There was a live guide doing commentaries in English and German. They dropped us off at the old town, so we had a wander and a beer and met someone else from the ship.

Caught the bus back to the ship, packing :(sunbathing :) dinner and watched the show

Day eight home on the Dreamliner - brilliant plane.

Going out now, so last bit tomorrow :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

CL how do I look these up? may be useful as we always do a snapfish album of every cruise we do, sorry not very good with computers:confused:
You have to Join Facebook. Thomson cruises is a closed group. Julesmiles is the best person to help you with this. I will private mail her if you like :)

I have only put pictures of the cabin on so far, but will put some more on tomorrow.

You have to Join Facebook. Thomson cruises is a closed group. Julesmiles is the best person to help you with this. I will private mail her if you like :)

I have only put pictures of the cabin on so far, but will put some more on tomorrow.

Hi I'm here! There are various 'unofficial' Thomson groups on FB - one for each ship & a couple of Thomson Cruises groups - lots of info on there & some lovely members. You just need to sign up to FB then request to be added to the Groups!

Thanks for the clear review and the photos. Looking forward to our first cruise just 25 days to go. Been looking at reviews, what to take and questions and answers, my husband thinks I am possessed by this cruise! But I want to be prepared so great to have some info from your review and photos.

I have read conflicting reviews about taking on alcohol, we have not booked a drinks package as rather expensive and although we really like our alcohol I don't think we would be able to justify the cost especially when you have to pay a surcharge for most drinks. Anyway back to my question can you take on alcohol if yes how much. Many on here say yes but Thomson say no, do you have to hide it if you can take it.

Linda, thanks for posting. It was an interesting read as we are on the same itinerary mid-October.

We hope to make it into Sibenik as only Venice will be a repeat for us.

When we were onboard in the summer, on only one of our 7 day sectors was there duty free alcohol, cigs, etc available onboard in the shop on the first sea day. This because there was a non EU port in the first week. The second week there was no duty free sold and we were told it was because there were no non EU ports that week.

We think all ports on this itinerary are EU, but could you please confirm that there was no duty free available on the first sea day.

Thanks.

Sorry I can't answer the questions about duty free or bringing drinks on board. We only drink beer and wine and always buy in the bars on the ship. The drinks are very reasonable so never bother with duty free.

edinburgher - I shall be interested to see if you make it to Sibenik. I am well known for being a conspiracy theorist ;) but DH and I felt we were not being told the whole truth as the weather was so good for the whole trip, we found it hard to believe that it was so windy that we could not get in. But, I believe it is a very narrow entrance, so who knows?

white lady - I bet you are excited about your first cruise :) Celebration was our first cruise and got us hooked! Have a great time.

all-afloaty - according to the website that tells you which plane you are going on (forgot what it is again :o) we were supposed to have the Dreamliner both ways, but when we booked in on line, we could see from the seat plan that going out was a 2-4-2 configuration (Boeing 767) and on the way back 3-3-3 (Dreamliner)

all-afloaty - according to the website that tells you which plane you are going on (forgot what it is again :o) we were supposed to have the Dreamliner both ways, but when we booked in on line, we could see from the seat plan that going out was a 2-4-2 configuration (Boeing 767) and on the way back 3-3-3 (Dreamliner)

Thanks Linda will have to try to find the website you refer you to [emoji57]