Family beach recommendations please

momme224

Hi!

Cruising in April and traveling with our three young children (8,7,3). Looking for a clean beach with NO nudity at all--is that possible? Not even topless. Can someone suggest an area?

We also want to see maho beach. Should we head there first and then to the 2nd beach where we can swim and relax?

What is the best way to get to two beaches after we dock?

TIA!

Hi!

Cruising in April and traveling with our three young children (8,7,3). Looking for a clean beach with NO nudity at all--is that possible? Not even topless. Can someone suggest an area?

We also want to see maho beach. Should we head there first and then to the 2nd beach where we can swim and relax?

What is the best way to get to two beaches after we dock?

TIA!

I would say Little Bay is the best chance to avoid all nudity and being a resort beach it is kept clean. It's a 10 minute taxi ride from the port.

You may very well see topless ladies at Maho, especially at the bar at Sunset Bar and Grill. I don't find Maho to be a clean beach as many folks go to the grocery store across the street for beer and drinks and leave their garbage strewn around.

Take a taxi.

I'd suggest stopping at Kim Sha which is before Maho. There's places there for food. drink and to rent loungers and umbrellas. Then go on to Maho, a short distance away, as the planes really don't start coming in until early afternoon.

You can look up the flight arrivals at http://www.sxmairport.com/

The other beach to look at is Mullet which is just past Maho, It's one of the nicest beaches but no real facilities, a food stand that also rents chairs andk and umbrellas. Both of these are on the Dutch Caribbean side and not "clothing optional". Orient Beach, on the French Atlantic side, is the one you want to stay away from.

There are some other beaches between Phillipsburg and Maho, like Pelican Key and Simpson Bay but mostly they cater to homes and condos there. Not real sure if they have tourist facilities.

Take a taxi.

I'd suggest stopping at Kim Sha which is before Maho. There's places there for food. drink and to rent loungers and umbrellas. Then go on to Maho, a short distance away, as the planes really don't start coming in until early afternoon.

You can look up the flight arrivals at http://www.sxmairport.com/

The other beach to look at is Mullet which is just past Maho, It's one of the nicest beaches but no real facilities, a food stand that also rents chairs andk and umbrellas. Both of these are on the Dutch Caribbean side and not "clothing optional". Orient Beach, on the French Atlantic side, is the one you want to stay away from.

There are some other beaches between Phillipsburg and Maho, like Pelican Key and Simpson Bay but mostly they cater to homes and condos there. Not real sure if they have tourist facilities.

Are you certain that the rules have not changed for Dutch St. Maarten in regards to topplessness or are they just more relaxed now?

I have seen toppless women at Maho, Simpson Bay and Mullet and nude men and women at Cupecoy.

Are you certain that the rules have not changed for Dutch St. Maarten in regards to topplessness or are they just more relaxed now?

I have seen toppless women at Maho, Simpson Bay and Mullet and nude men and women at Cupecoy.

I'm pretty sure that the official rules have not changed, but topless seems to be usually tolerated on the Dutch side. Cupecoy is a different, and very special place. :)

Don't remember any topless at Great Bay, but spend very little time there.

gary

Are the beaches free or are they part of a resort/private?

All of the beaches on the island are public.

Resorts may make it difficult to get access to the beach (think Westin or La Samanna) but they are public.

Resorts and vendors may, of course, charge for extra value offerings.

Parking, chairs, umbrellas, etc.

gary

Are the beaches free or are they part of a resort/private?

Personally I think of Little Bay as a "resort" beach but as mentioned before all beaches are free, it's the access that is difficult to some beaches. Little Bay along with Dawn are 2 beaches with resorts that are public and have easy access. Great Bay is another but I don't swim there due to the ongoing pollution concerns.

Edit: parking Dawn could be an issue but if you are talking a taxi it limits that

Edited by Karysa

Oh thanks, didn't realize that on more "public" beaches on the Dutch side. I can see Cupecoy having some nudity as in the past it's been less accessible to "public" and thus a bit more "private". Maho at Sunset Grille, I can understand.

We're heading to Little Bay and Divi in January. DW will freak if there are nudies there. She shutters every timeIi even mention trying Orient and Pinel Island. I like Dawn Beach, personally, always had good snorkeling there and enjoy Mr. Busbys. But since it's on the Atlantic side the water could be a bit rough especially for younger children.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone! I have been reading traffic can be bad getting back to the port. To help

Narrow it down for me: what beaches with what I am looking for are good with traffic? Should I avoid any that require using the bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like Karakter. It's on the right side of the Simpson Bay bridge as well. I have only seen women topless on loungers but not walking the beach or in the water myself.

This is not correct. You still have to deal with the Simpson Bay Bridge when going to Simpson Bay Beach.

Can you walk to maho from Simpson or little bay?

Yes from Simpson Bay to Maho. It's pretty far to Karakter though. There is a nice little hotel/beach bar down at the Maho end of SBB. It's actually quicker than walking to Mullet from Maho.

A BIG no to or from Little Bay.

Ok cool. I saw pictures on google of what I thought was Simpson and it showed airplanes flying in but in a little distance away. I wonder if I will be able to get my fix that way rather than bringing my little children to maho as it is busy there and pretty much right on the road. I never realized how great this island is! So many nice places and not enough time. Thanks for all the tips so far!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been reading this thread for my upcoming trip next week - wondering if anyone has an opinion about Kim Sha beach vs Dawn beach? And does Kim Sha require the crossing of the Simpson bridge or is it on the "right" side with proximity to the Phillipsburg port? For years we've gone to Great Bay right in downtown Phillipsburg but since reading about the issues with pollution I am very concerned! And now I have to find a new beach! Any and all suggestions helpful. Like the originator of this thread, we are a multi-generational family travelling with ages 9 - 69 so no nudity or craziness! Thanks in advance!!

I've been reading this thread for my upcoming trip next week - wondering if anyone has an opinion about Kim Sha beach vs Dawn beach? And does Kim Sha require the crossing of the Simpson bridge or is it on the "right" side with proximity to the Phillipsburg port? For years we've gone to Great Bay right in downtown Phillipsburg but since reading about the issues with pollution I am very concerned! And now I have to find a new beach! Any and all suggestions helpful. Like the originator of this thread, we are a multi-generational family travelling with ages 9 - 69 so no nudity or craziness! Thanks in advance!!

Kim Sha is an ok beach on the "right" side of the bridge and Simpson Bay is a lovely beach on the "wrong side of the bridge".

Dawn should work for your group. Little Bay is another suggestion. There is a water sports booth at Little Bay which is a bonus.