China RMB in Hong Kong

dalgirl

Due to some counterfeiting early on, Hong Kongers do not like to accept RMB.

The mainlanders would go clean out an Louis V store, pay cash RMB, which later turns out to be counterfeit :eek:

About counterfeit RMB. I got a counterfeit note in a small village in the middle of nowhere from an old lady. Luckily, the young vendor in the next store noticed and her boyfriend helped me change it back. Big discussion and my mad face did it. :)

Traveling onward from mainland CN to HK, you can easily exchange remaining unused RMB in Hong Kong for HKD at local bank's regular teller and/or designated foreign exchange counter or at licensed Currency Exchanges all over HK, (rates are posted & any fees disclosed) - upon proper ID, i.e. Passports - and easily withdraw extra funds needed from your US bank (i.e. Citi, HSBC) via ATM debit cards - PINS with 4 digits. There is a small exchange/conversion fee for most ATM cash withdrawl but reasonable & quick - always wise to alert your home bank about travel & possible withdrawl as fraud prevention could block it & never "fun" to call 800#'s from abroad to resolve it.

sent from Google Nexus 5/7 via Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

We decided to just get some HKD before we leave . Usually don't bother in Europe , the ATM is fine , but I am not sure how tired I will be to fool around with money exchanges at the airport . But I will keep the counterfeiting in mind when we reach China .

We decided to just get some HKD before we leave . Usually don't bother in Europe , the ATM is fine , but I am not sure how tired I will be to fool around with money exchanges at the airport .
ATMs have reached Hong Kong.

Including machines in the exit corridor after customs and before you reach the public meet-and-greet area, so there's no need to fool around with money exchanges.

As Hong Kong is a major financial hub, ATMs everwhere are expected . It really is my exhaustion that has me arriving with cash in hand . I'm not getting currency from the other 4 countries we will visit - ATMs all the rest of the way . A little local currency is just a convenience .

It really is my exhaustion that has me arriving with cash in hand.
Fair enough - but as I said, there are ATMs even before you reach the public area of the airport on arrival. They're the ones I use on arrival if on the previous trip I left Hong Kong with very little cash remaining.