RCI cabin selection promenade

TheVillager

As newer cruisers we are planning an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas Feb 22-March1. Since my wife was slightly sea sick in the balcony cabin we had I thought a promenade cabin would help and be less claustrophobic than the ordinary inside cabin. Any feedback would be appreciated and in regard to location, should be avoid being next to an elevator.

Thanks

If she was feeling ill in a balcony, not being able to see the horizon generally makes it worse. Bring Bonine or Meclezine...some sort of motion sickness med. Being near the elevator/stairway foyer is a huge plus.. not a negative at all!

Being by the elevator is a good thing.

its the only place where I will book now.

if people are being noisy they will be noisy going up the hall way too.,

becareful with the promanade deck== try more towards the middle. there is a bridge that obstructs some of the view.

if your wife got sea sick in a balcony cabin.

go as low as possible on the ship and stay as midship as possible

We had deck 7 midship promenade cabins on the Independence of the Seas last week. We were right in the middle of the corridor (and hence promenade, between the two bridges). We had a great view of the promenade and no seasickness (but it was a very calm cruise).

The downsides were as follows:

Noise from the promenade was loud when parties were happening, two evenings from about 10.30 to 11.30 in 14 nights, plus general lower level music etc at other times.

A good couple of minutes walk back from the elevator each time, which doesn't seem like much but was getting tedious by the end of the cruise (we have children and were back and forth to the staterooms fairly frequently) - the corridors are boring. Wherever you are there is quite a bit of walking though.

You have to keep your curtains shut every time you are changing clothes (which is the main reason most people go back to their staterooms I guess) otherwise the stateroom opposite you can see right in. They have nets as well as proper curtains.

There was intermittent noise from teenagers in the corridor they seemed to get up to full talking/running speed by the middle of the corridor.

No outside view (obviously), no idea whether you have docked or what the weather is like till you are up and out of the stateroom.

Last year we had rooms towards the aft of the promenade and a view of the guest services desk, which wasn't very interesting but was at least nearer the aft elevators which we used more than the forward ones.

Thanks for your experience 'WKW'. I see there's several PR available on deck 8 for the cruise I'm looking to book but they are at the ends. There's a lot available on deck 6 though and 1 on deck 7.

As far as noise in the halls or walking distances, that is true on any deck, just depends where your cabin is compared to the elevators or how vocal others are. Luckily, we cruise now (empty nesters) during school times so noises from kids running and yelling are not a problem.

One available on deck 8 is near guest services and elevators too. May take that one. I guess my question would be, Promenade or Inside? What may be an advantage of a PR cabin? Thanks

• 1 month later...
I'm very interested in the noise level also. Is the higher deck better?

We prefer the Promenade cabins on Deck 8 (highest) on the FOS because the windows slant out for a very good view of the Promenade and farther away from any noise below.;) Having said that, we have been on Deck 6 and 7 too, and have also enjoyed them! I would prefer a balcony but, for the cheaper prices, would much rather have a Promenade cabin vs an outside window. Just can't do insides with no window anymore!:o We are cruising this weekend on the FOS and will be in a Promenade on Deck 7.

• 2 years later...

No outside view (obviously), no idea whether you have docked or what the weather is like till you are up and out of the stateroom.

Never thought about that. We have always took a outside room but this time opted for a inside room. My girlfriend said what do we need a outside room save the money since we only sleep in the room. We took a promenade room because it was a slight upgrade. I always like a outside room with a window because I like to look out the window at the ocean when I am have a hard time sleeping. The point you made above is so true though and never thought of that.

Original posting is from 2014. Please check dates before posting a reply. It helps because a lot of information becomes outdated

At least with a promanade view room you get some kind of light. An inside cabin is extreme darkness 24/7

Edited by serene56

• 1 month later...

We stayed in Grand Suites, Jr. Suites and balcony cabins. We tried our first Promenade Cabin this past November. And, I have to be honest I did not like our Promenade Cabin even though the location was great. The cabin was so tight that if I was sitting on the edge of the bed putting on shoes my sister did not have enough room to pass in the front of me. So if your wife is claustrophobic you might want to reconsider this type of stateroom.