Uber in Europe?

cruisegal415

My sister just returned from Budapest, Prague and Munich and said she used Uber everywhere. I didn't realize Uber was in Europe! Does anyone know if Uber is in France, or other ports in Europe? (Rome, Barcelona, Marseille, St. Tropez, Monaco, Ibiza, or elsewhere?) I'm going to also post this on the Spain and France boards.

I wonder how their prices compare to cabs? Or if we get stuck and need transportation back to the ship in one of these ports? Or just to get around if we don't have an excursion booked like in St. Tropez or Ibiza and we want to go to one of the nicer beaches?

Anyone have experience using Uber in the Med?

I don't know about the rest of France, but Uber is extremely controversial in Paris. When my wife and I were there last year, there were near-riots over the service; taxi drivers were attacking and actually burning Uber cars (http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/25/french-anti-uber-protest-turns-to-guerrilla-warfare-as-cabbies-burn-cars-attack-uber-drivers/). I don't know if things have calmed down since then, but here's a newspaper article from February: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/11/top-uber-executives-on-trial-in-france-over-illegal-taxi-charges

Edited by Langoustine

Uber is in Europe and you can find the cities it operates in on their web site - http://www.uber.com/cities/ and using the "Get a fare esitmate" you can see how much it will cost in comparison to a cab.

As someone who works in London, I use it there frequently, but have also used in France and Ireland.

For cruisers, the likely cities for it be used -

- Amsterdam

- Athens

- Copenhagen

- Dublin

- Edinburgh

- Florence

- Genoa

- Gothenburg

- Istanbul

- Lisbon

- London

- Marseille

- Nice and Cannes

- Porto

- Rome

- Stockholm

When I last used it in Nice, it was a very nice ride in a C class Mercedes from the Airport to the hotel for €16, against €6 each to ride the bus to town and then walk 1/2 mile to the hotel.

Mostly the way Uber operates in Europe is using the minicab (i.e. prebooked) legislation rather than the taxi (i.e. hail on the street) legislation. Some countries have taken deeply against Uber, and for example they have effectively shut down their operation in Spain.

As for having a phone with phone data, free wifi is fairly ubiquitous in Europe, so I just used the free wifi in the airport and hotel to order the Uber and then stepped outside to where I asked them to meet me.

However data roaming charges in Europe for people with European sims is plummeting from May and disappearing altogether from 2017, so for visitors to Europe travelling to a number of countries, another reason to get a local PAYG sim.

If you already have an Uber account, then you can use it in any other country. If not, it is quick and easy to set on up, and a code such as uber10creditfree will get you a £10/€10 discount to try on the first ride.

Edited by insanemagnet

• 1 month later...

We used Uber in Paris a lot in March.

Tons of cars, very quick to arrive and cheap!

For 4 of us it was really good value and much more pleasant than using the Metro - which we renaimed "the sewer".

The iPhone app worked fine.

Hoping to use in Nice next week - if there's any fuel......

What do you mean "if there's any fuel?" Will be in Nice next week! Are there issues we should be aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's France, so always issues somewhere.

6 of 8 French refineries have been on 100% shutdown and the other 2 were limited in production due to strike action.

Situation is improving though with fuel availability getting better everyday.

Colleagues at work who commute from France report things are 'not bad'.

Here is latest updates: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36423834

• 2 weeks later...
We used Uber in Paris a lot in March.

Tons of cars, very quick to arrive and cheap!

For 4 of us it was really good value and much more pleasant than using the Metro - which we renaimed "the sewer".

The iPhone app worked fine.

Hoping to use in Nice next week - if there's any fuel......

Thx for your input. Question for you & anyone else with direct experience.

Is Uber working in Paris. We have a US acct it appears that it works the same way in Europe-does it really?

Thx

Carole

Thx for your input. Question for you & anyone else with direct experience.

Is Uber working in Paris. We have a US acct it appears that it works the same way in Europe-does it really?

Thx

Carole

Yes it works in Paris and many other European cities, it works the same way it does in the US.

Here is a list of where in the world Uber works, from their own website:

https://www.uber.com/cities/

It's why the Parisian taxis are quite upset with Uber and there have been bold demonstrations against it. Uber isn't perfect, but it works.

Edited by Host Bonjour

I've used Uber in the following cities:

Paris

Prague

Vienna

Budapest

Rome

Bratislava

Actually, my Uber is used so much in foreign countries I keep getting emails for uber in foreign languages and it won't stop!!! lol Paris is the best Uber city ever...Rode around in Jags for four days!

• 2 weeks later...
I've used Uber in the following cities:

Paris

Prague

Vienna

Budapest

Rome

Bratislava

Actually, my Uber is used so much in foreign countries I keep getting emails for uber in foreign languages and it won't stop!!! lol Paris is the best Uber city ever...Rode around in Jags for four days!

Many thx. Just one more loose end to cross off the list

Carole