Marseille and Monte Carlo in Jan

rjdcruises4fun

My husband and I have a cruise scheduled in Jan 2017 that goes to these ports and others. Is there anyone that has been in January that could give me a good idea of what they wore and if they weather was cold. We are from NC and I hate being cold. :)

Thanks in advanced.

Rachel

That time of year you will likely find the temps in the high 40s (if you are lucky). Not sure a Med cruise in the winter is a good prescription for folks who do not like cold weather. There is a good reason why very few cruise ships are cruising these waters in the winter. That being said, the good news is that there will not be big crowds of tourists that time of the year. But also be advised that many tourist-oriented places (i.e. Capri, Santorini, etc) will have many closures that time of the year.

Hank

My husband and I have a cruise scheduled in Jan 2017 that goes to these ports and others. Is there anyone that has been in January that could give me a good idea of what they wore and if they weather was cold. We are from NC and I hate being cold. :)

Thanks in advanced.

Rachel

Sometimes I have traveled just to visit friends - so that meant any month, any time it worked for everyone which equaled January or November, you get the idea :eek: Guess what? I've been in Paris, Scotland (the Highlands!) London and the English countryside to name a few places during those months and found myself managing the weather just fine...even on days when the clouds might have been out and it drizzled - I was still in exciting new places that were still fascinating, historic and beautiful :D

I dressed in layers so it was always easy to adjust to what was going on that day and how the temperature went up/down throughout the day. Also, I was generally on the go, walking quite a bit and so that helped to keep me warm too although to be honest, it wasn't ever really quite cold - no deep freeze, maybe just lucky during the January visits...but, I was further north than you will be! In the Mediterranean region it doesn't typically ever get as cool as it does further up north - recent historic weather maps/charts will show these trends. If there is day time sunshine - and there ought to be - things ought to be nice enough for touring. Expect evenings to be chillier of course - and they'll come by 5ish at night - but again, toss in a thin, but warm cashmere or silk 'underneath' and you'll be cosy the entire trip...maybe too warm.

Don't worry - just enjoy. It's more about WHERE you are and much less about the weather - the experiences will be so worth it. Also, it's easy to pop in for a cup of tea anytime - take time to enjoy the culture/people, look around, take some photos. Have fun :)

If being cold is an issue, then maybe the Med in the winter is not the right place for you. It can be quite mild, but if you get an unlucky week the temperatures can drop.

We live a bit further south than France and we are wearing jackets and boots well into March. Buildings are not planned for the cold weather and central heating is non-existant so we do rely on layers to keep us warm.

As long as you are wrapped up, it is probably a lovely time to explore cities that are overrun by tourists in the summer, but bring layers in case you are lucky with the weather and an umbrella and boots in case the sun decides not to shine.

We still remember Feb 2012 when it surprisingly snowed in Rome. A very rare thing..but it happened. And back in Dec 2009 it actually snowed along the French Riviera which is probably more rare then snow in Rome. On the other hand, the last time we were in Barcelona in early December the temps were balmy (mid 60s F). If traveling to the Med in the winter one must be prepared for just about anything.

Hank

We still remember Feb 2012 when it surprisingly snowed in Rome. A very rare thing..but it happened. And back in Dec 2009 it actually snowed along the French Riviera which is probably more rare then snow in Rome. On the other hand, the last time we were in Barcelona in early December the temps were balmy (mid 60s F). If traveling to the Med in the winter one must be prepared for just about anything.

Hank

In 1984 there was a two-foot snow fall in the Riviera in January. My kids were making snow angels on the beach. The snow didn't melt for over a week. It killed all the flowers and the fronds of the palm trees. It took them a couple of years to recover. They said it was the largest snowfall in 500 years.

Normally, it is cold and often rainy that time of the year.