Waterproof camera?

That sounds like just what I need. I know you get what you pay for, but has anyone actually used one? How did the pics look? I don't necessarily care about going underwater, but I need something that can get wet. I want to take pics in Belize while cave tubing and I don't want to worry if it gets wet or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The average price for an above-average waterproof camera these days is around $99. And yes, if you do a lot of cruising, I would invest in a digital underwater camera for anything but scuba. If you are going to do scuba, you must invest in a digital that can do the depths since most underwater cameras will do only 15'

Steve

Do not buy a disposable. The quality sucks.

You can find plenty of waterproof digital cameras for $100 or less.

I personally love my Olympus Tough camera.

I know Fuji has something cheaper than $100.

I use it at the pool when we go on beach vacations and I bring it to the beach too.

• 3 weeks later...

Several years ago we bought a disposable underwater camera from Wal-Mart, rated for 10 feet or so. We ended up taking it scuba diving down to about 80-100 feet. Pictures turned out just fine, little dark and blue, but fine. I thought it cool.

• 5 weeks later...
Anybody know if target or similar makes a disposable waterproof camera? Just want something cheap to take when we swim with stingrays in cayman is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

cheap gives cheap pictures, I used a disposable ate stingray city and the pics were too blue, with a digital camera it can adjust for it

I'm seriously considering buying a Nikon Coolpix AW120 - it's waterproof to 59ft, shockproof from almost 7ft and can shoot in temps as low as 14F. 5x Optical zoom and built in flash make it a nifty little camera I can toss into the drink at any time.

Has anyone used one of these on your water-bound adventures?

NzOdy, I recently bought one. Haven't tested it underwater, but it was out in the rain. I'm keeping it, really like it so far. It's going to Alaska with us and I'll take it snorkeling there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Fog123 - Cool - I hope you enjoy it! I'm a long time Nikon photographer with D-SLR's - but the AW120 looks like a very capable point and shoot - particularly for in the water.

I'm really impressed with the macro function, and some of the other features like smile detect and glamour shots are fun to play with. I'm using the in camera crop feature a lot.

The last digital camera we bought was a Canon Power shot something or other, about 5 years ago. We still love that camera, the AA batteries are great.

Well take both on the cruise. We had several near camera catastrophes when we were in Iceland last year, so we've learned our lesson.

1400637828571.jpg.c7d587921b602c30348417e7f08e3649.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

The first cruise we went I bought a couple disposable cameras (Kodak) and the pictures came out great. Only problem is to get them correct had to send the camera off to a lab in Flordia that does special processing (which can be now done with Photo software) but the pictures were really nice. The problem was it cost almost $30 dollars a roll to develope. Next cruise had an underwater digital camera. no cost to develope and can take as many pictures as I want. Which I do, usally get a couple hundred during a 1 hour snokel then use Photoshop to adjust color and all afterward.

The Ump

John

The first cruise we went I bought a couple disposable cameras (Kodak) and the pictures came out great. Only problem is to get them correct had to send the camera off to a lab in Flordia that does special processing (which can be now done with Photo software) but the pictures were really nice. The problem was it cost almost $30 dollars a roll to develope. Next cruise had an underwater digital camera. no cost to develope and can take as many pictures as I want. Which I do, usally get a couple hundred during a 1 hour snokel then use Photoshop to adjust color and all afterward.

The Ump

John

Hi, I was wondering which camera you chose? :confused

Hi, I was wondering which camera you chose? :confused

Right now I have a SeaLife Mini with a 1GB card. But looking to change to something else before next cruise. Camera is good but shutter speed is a little slow when you are trying to take a lot of pictures.

The Ump

John

Right now I have a SeaLife Mini with a 1GB card. But looking to change to something else before next cruise. Camera is good but shutter speed is a little slow when you are trying to take a lot of pictures.

The Ump

John

Thanks John, I appreciate any information I can get, but I think I'll go with a Fuji FinepixXP70, as it is on sale (in my budget) and all the reviews I've read on it, I've liked. Now can't wait for my birthday surprise next month! Nicole

I agree the disposable camer i bought was terrible. snorkeling it was just blue water, you could not hardly see the fish. with the snorkel lens on i tried to do the best, but the pictures all looked the same. the Walmart employee just charged me a 1.00 instead of the 20. plus they charge because of the quality of the pictures.

After doing LOTS of research for U/W cameras in the $200 price range, I have the following dilemma. Of the three cameras in the finals:

1. Olympus TG-830 ihs - issue is a f3.9-f5.9 aperture.

2. Pentax WG-3 - most expensive of the three; f2.0 low aperture

3. GoPro Hero 3 white - no zoom, f2.8 aperture, VERY wide angle lens

Other issue: The GoPro has an external waterproof housing that is VERY solid. The Olympus and Pentax are waterproof cameras. There has been some comments about leakage around the seals. So, am leaning towards the GoPro because of the housing; but the Pentax because of the other capabilities as a camera.

As an aside, I have been using a Canon A560 with a DicaPac. Good solution but the camera is not in tight and the lens every now and then moves, getting the lens cap in the way. Plus, where I put my fingers to hold and shoot, I have hit the function/menu buttons.. :(

Please provide your comments... all are appreciated...

Steve

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here because I've used a couple of different brands of the waterproof digital cameras. For several years I used the Canon Powershot D10 until it finally gave up the ghost. It took great pictures but was slow. I then bought the Canon Powershot D20 (faster but pictures were not as sharp) and after only a couple of months I decided to buy the Olympus Tough TG-820. It takes much better pictures than the Canon PS D20.

Here's the rub. I've gotten spoiled using my land camera (Canon EOS Rebel T3) and I compare all of my TG-820 pictures to it. I know I shouldn't because it's designed to do something that my Rebel can't. That being said, the TG-820 photos are good, but lose a lot of detail on the zoom (to be expected.) All-in-all, if I could only have one waterproof camera it would be the Olypus Tough.

Beverly

Beverly,

Thanks for the input. I too have a really nice "land" camera (Canon SX50) which does a fantastic job. It is the cross between a point/shoot and a DSLR. I like the capabilities of the DSLR but don't want to have to drag around all the lenses since most of the pictures are taken during hiking.

I am looking for a waterproof underwater camera, so how does the TG-820 do with that, since the TG-830 is one of my choices.

Steve