Kuala Lumpur - please inspire me!

clairebearinaus

Hi,

Our first cruise will include a day visit to KL and even though we've never been before, we're struggling to find any attractions that interest us enough to leave the ship, which will be a considerable distance from the city.

We're a middle aged couple who've travelled a lot in Asia and the Middle East, and not really inspired by the big cities. We're much more looking forward to Penang and Langkawi on this voyage.

We also have 2 sons 10-12yo who think things like bird and butterfly parks are 'lame'. :)

Not interested in designer shopping, markets, or skyscrapers, Blue Mosque sounds vaguely interesting but I've seen a lot of mosques, is it alone worth the trip? We have already chosen tours at other locations which will include caves, temples, forests, monkeys so reluctant to double up on that kind of thing... Oh and we're going at the hottest time of the year.

I sound very negative don't I? Really, we love travelling and experiencing new places but a port day on the ship sounds lovely too, I might even get myself a sunlounge! Get the laundry done! It does seem a waste to go all that way and not see the place though.

What do others recommend?

My hubby feels the same about our stop in Bali. he has decided he will stay on the ship but as I don't ever expect to go there again, and it has never been on my bucket list then I have decided to take a driver and get out in the countryside. hopefully at the end of the day I will be glad I left the ship.

KL - we had a stop over both ways there when going to Europe. going over it was only a sleep in a bed and off to the airport again. coming back we had a bit over 24 hours and so did the hop on hop off bus. to be honest I am glad we did it as otherwise we wouldn't have seen anything other than the airport and hotel but we were so tired after an overnight flight from frankfurt. If we hadn't been so tired I am sure we would have really enjoyed the hoho bus even without getting off it, it was nice to see the city, it was much more modern than I had expected.

Edited by Tara Jane

We were there early in the New Year and didn't want a long tour as it was also very hot. We hired Blacklane Limousines and went to check out the Batu Caves. We really enjoyed it, left the ship at 9am and got back at 12.30pm. Had lunch on board by the aft pool and watched everyone come back on board totally pooped! A little bit of shore ex and a little bit of ship whilst hardly anyone on board, the best of both worlds we felt.

• 3 weeks later...

Batu caves is interesting but the stairs are truly a killer. Brickfields Indian sector is quite colourful and interesting. Have you had banana leaf meals before (eat with hands etc.), might be an experience for the kids.

I would also recommend Batu Caves. lots of stairs, but still..

you are right, It does seem a waste to go all that way and not see the place!! i am ALWAYS visiting all the places when cruising.

Edited by Rod64

• 2 weeks later...

We had two days in KL on a holiday cruise this year, on News Year's day and the day after.

So that we didn't have to make the trip back and forth to the ship, we booked a hotel room in the city using Hilton Honors points at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur -- and it fabulous (highly recommend, see photos here:)

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/01/29/a-look-inside-the-hilton-kuala-lumpur-hotel/

We liked our van taxi driver from the port (you have to request and pay extra for a van, totally worth it for 4 people) that we hired him to drive us to all of the places that we wanted to visit the next day. (We wanted to visit the Petronas Twin Towers, Batu Caves and the Sunway Pyramid shopping mall with its Egyptian-inspired sphinx architecture.) You could cover all of these in a single day from port if you got going early, and had an advance reservation for the Petronas Towers (make online). Here are photos and details from our day, which we really enjoyed: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/01/31/exploring-kuala-lumpur-by-taxi-from-port-kelang-malaysia/

We had two days in KL on a holiday cruise this year, on News Year's day and the day after.

So that we didn't have to make the trip back and forth to the ship, we booked a hotel room in the city using Hilton Honors points at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur -- and it fabulous (highly recommend, see photos here:)

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/01/29/a-look-inside-the-hilton-kuala-lumpur-hotel/

We liked our van taxi driver from the port (you have to request and pay extra for a van, totally worth it for 4 people) that we hired him to drive us to all of the places that we wanted to visit the next day. (We wanted to visit the Petronas Twin Towers, Batu Caves and the Sunway Pyramid shopping mall with its Egyptian-inspired sphinx architecture.) You could cover all of these in a single day from port if you got going early, and had an advance reservation for the Petronas Towers (make online). Here are photos and details from our day, which we really enjoyed: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2015/01/31/exploring-kuala-lumpur-by-taxi-from-port-kelang-malaysia/

Really enjoyed your pictures of Batu caves, etc. We will be on Celebrity Millenium Jan 2016, one of the stops will be Port Klang but not overnight, we dock at 8:30 and leave at 5:30. Want to see the Batu caves, you mentioned that you must request a van, do you need to request ahead of time and if so how does one go about that? We are traveling with another couple so there will be 4 of us. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Our first cruise will include a day visit to KL and even though we've never been before, we're struggling to find any attractions that interest us enough to leave the ship, which will be a considerable distance from the city.

We're a middle aged couple who've travelled a lot in Asia and the Middle East, and not really inspired by the big cities. We're much more looking forward to Penang and Langkawi on this voyage.

We also have 2 sons 10-12yo who think things like bird and butterfly parks are 'lame'. :)

Not interested in designer shopping, markets, or skyscrapers, Blue Mosque sounds vaguely interesting but I've seen a lot of mosques, is it alone worth the trip? We have already chosen tours at other locations which will include caves, temples, forests, monkeys so reluctant to double up on that kind of thing... Oh and we're going at the hottest time of the year.

I sound very negative don't I? Really, we love travelling and experiencing new places but a port day on the ship sounds lovely too, I might even get myself a sunlounge! Get the laundry done! It does seem a waste to go all that way and not see the place though.

We used a driver from the recommended driver list on TripAdvisor for Kuala Lumpur for our stop in early April this year. Zaidi was great and took us to the places we wanted to see. When the traffic got too crazy (on a Saturday) we all decided an early return for an early departure was a good idea. I contacted a couple of drivers on the recommended list and chose Zaidi because he was one of the most frequently reviewed and because he does a little bit of guiding in addition to driving and was the best regarding communication - . The price was the same KL Ringgets 400, which was about $110 from the ATM that day (BTW - Port Kelang has an ATM right outside the exit on the sidewalk).

We went to Batu Caves even though we knew we could not climb this stairs this time around - there was lots to see without the climb.

See the Batu caves. They are amazing. I don't know your level of fitness, but to give you an idea I was 57 when I visited and it was 7 months after minor knee surgery and made up the steps (and down) just fine. Your boys will also be amused by all the monkeys that hang arong the area.

It was extremely hot when we were there, close to 100 degrees and the humidity wasn't far from it, but if you take a lot of water and a wet rag behind your neck and you will survive. That's everywhere in SE Asia. I remember pouring a cold bottle of water over my head after we decended the steps. Great memories, hope you decide to go, I think you would have an enjoyable time there.

Have fun planning!

• 1 month later...
See the Batu caves. They are amazing. I don't know your level of fitness, but to give you an idea I was 57 when I visited and it was 7 months after minor knee surgery and made up the steps (and down) just fine. Your boys will also be amused by all the monkeys that hang arong the area.

It was extremely hot when we were there, close to 100 degrees and the humidity wasn't far from it, but if you take a lot of water and a wet rag behind your neck and you will survive. That's everywhere in SE Asia. I remember pouring a cold bottle of water over my head after we decended the steps. Great memories, hope you decide to go, I think you would have an enjoyable time there.

Have fun planning!

This has been a great thread with links and suggestions so thank you... i am taking my first ever cruise in Sept and having limited funds cannot afford some of the ships tours. I love bloggs and other peoples real life experiences. cheers DEb:)

• 2 weeks later...
We used a driver from the recommended driver list on TripAdvisor for Kuala Lumpur for our stop in early April this year.

Hi all, I was wondering about getting a driver for KL or maybe a taxi. I've been to KL a couple of times and need to go to a couple of shops where I buy my clothes from. I am concerned about getting back if there is a traffic jam and missing the boat. The cruise's bus trip is $49.95 per person. I thought that $100 for a couple wasn't too bad and it comes with a guarantee, not to miss the boat that you don't get with a private driver.

Just wondering people's thoughts and also how much it is for a taxi from the port and how long did it take, did you get held up getting back to the boat, is it a bit risky? Any other time I would do my own thing, but this one port has me a little concerned.

thanks for any help.

We used a driver from the recommended driver list on TripAdvisor for Kuala Lumpur for our stop in early April this year.

Hi all, I was wondering about getting a driver for KL or maybe a taxi. I've been to KL a couple of times and need to go to a couple of shops where I buy my clothes from. I am concerned about getting back if there is a traffic jam and missing the boat. The cruise's bus trip is $49.95 per person. I thought that $100 for a couple wasn't too bad and it comes with a guarantee, not to miss the boat that you don't get with a private driver.

Just wondering people's thoughts and also how much it is for a taxi from the port and how long did it take, did you get held up getting back to the boat, is it a bit risky? Any other time I would do my own thing, but this one port has me a little concerned.

thanks for any help.

We were there a few weeks ago on Princess and we took the ships' transfer. It is the only time in our lives we have ever taken a ships' transfer, and we used to live in Malaysia. I can tell you for certain that that road into KL is very unpredictable and traffic jams can sometimes last for hours. For the likely price difference of $30 we didn't think it was worth the risk. I can't believe I'm saying that because I really dislike the scaremongering about missing the ship, but in this instance I thought it was actually possible .

We were there a few weeks ago on Princess and we took the ships' transfer. It is the only time in our lives we have ever taken a ships' transfer, and we used to live in Malaysia. I can tell you for certain that that road into KL is very unpredictable and traffic jams can sometimes last for hours. For the likely price difference of $30 we didn't think it was worth the risk. I can't believe I'm saying that because I really dislike the scaremongering about missing the ship, but in this instance I thought it was actually possible .

Hi Iahore,

thank you so much, I am just like you, hate the threat of missing the boat, but KL is one place where I have heard someone like yourself mention it. it is just that I don't have as much time to shop as I would like as I have a bit of a run from the drop off point at KLCC to BB Plaza. We are also on a Princess line, we are on the Dawn. If you have any helpful info about ports at Penang, Langkawi, or Phuket would love to hear about it. I have been to all but Penang. email is eastry@iinet.net.au if it is easier to email me. I don't normally like to put my email address up on a forum, but I don't know of any other way to do it.

kind regards,

• 1 month later...
Hi,

What about a taxi to Klang. You could then either take the train to KL or stay in Klang to poke about. A friend stays there regularly with their partner's famiy and told me that Little India is worth a look. Tripadvisor has more info about Klang.

We arrive in KL on 23/10 on Mariner of the seas the ship has 2 organised tours, the first is BAtu Caves and then some Pewter factory which I'm not interested in and then onto to twin towers, was thinking of getting the cheaper Diy KL city trip and then catching the train from KL city to Batu Caves has anyone done this ? like many others I am concerned about the traffic issues and the risks of going totally independant. the ships arrives at 8am and sails at 5pm . Any advice appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

while I was browsing some Asian destinations for my cruise in January, I stumbled over this thread. Just wanted to let you know what I found on a german cruise forum. Public transport is only a 10 min taxi ride away from the cruise terminal. The station is called Port Klang - . The trains are called KTM komuter. They're modern trains with aircondition etc. They're leaving every 15 mins and the ride into KL takes 1 hour 15 minutes. I've heard they are very reliable - and there'll be no issues with taxi/ traffic. They're stopping at KL sentral. In the heart of KL. A ride costs 3,40 EUR (return). A taxi ride to the station should not be more than 8 Euros- but of course they will try to get more from you. Just in case anybode is interested to explore the town on their own.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

My subscription to this thread dropped off and I didn't realise there'd been so many more helpful replies. Thank you!

We've decided on the ship's excursion to Batu Caves. It's a full day and includes some other stops of less interest, but as a cruising and KL novice I'm sticking with the security of the ship's tour rather than a private one.

There are mixed reviews about the caves, especially the condition they're kept in, so it was really reassuring to read here that they're worthwhile seeing.

Thanks again

Claire

while I was browsing some Asian destinations for my cruise in January, I stumbled over this thread. Just wanted to let you know what I found on a german cruise forum. Public transport is only a 10 min taxi ride away from the cruise terminal. The station is called Port Klang - . The trains are called KTM komuter. They're modern trains with aircondition etc. They're leaving every 15 mins and the ride into KL takes 1 hour 15 minutes. I've heard they are very reliable - and there'll be no issues with taxi/ traffic. They're stopping at KL sentral. In the heart of KL. A ride costs 3,40 EUR (return). A taxi ride to the station should not be more than 8 Euros- but of course they will try to get more from you. Just in case anybode is interested to explore the town on their own.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

Link to KTM Komuter

http://www.ktmb.com.my/index.php/subsidiaries-komuter-page

N.B. After 7 am, trains leave every 30 mins from Port Klang Station (Pelabuhan Klang).

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all the insightful info. We will be in KL for Christmas/New Year's on Mariner. We normally use private tour companies (mostly for more comfort away from the masses, but also for value), but KL is somewhere we will use the ship's excursion due to the many comments I've read about traffic.

Thank you for all the insightful info. We will be in KL for Christmas/New Year's on Mariner. We normally use private tour companies (mostly for more comfort away from the masses, but also for value), but KL is somewhere we will use the ship's excursion due to the many comments I've read about traffic.

Great idea. You surely won't want to be caught in KL infamous traffic. The ship will wait for you if you take their ship's excursion. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Is the market open during the day or is does it only operate at night?

What is the closest train station?

How much would a taxi charge from the port to the market?

I am a Malaysian, so may be I can help a bit on your doubts.

Regarding market - I am not sure which "market" you were talking about. I assume you were talking about "Central Market" located in Kuala Lumpur town center. Please refer links below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Market,_Kuala_Lumpur

http://www.centralmarket.com.my/reach-us.php

You can find the operating hours of Central Market in second link.

Regarding closest train station - As mentioned by SimBaSunset in earlier post, the closest train station at Port Klang is locate in Port Klang town. See Google location here:

https://www.google.com.my/maps/place/Pel+Klang/@3.002417,101.3979691,16.21z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x31cdab00ff58c5e5:0xa95766216964229d?hl=en

The train station is operate by KTM Komuter. Using this train you can drop off at Kuala Lumpur Station (https://www.google.com.my/maps/place/Kuala+Lumpur/@3.2390344,101.6835102,16.21z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x31cc49c51714cdaf:0xea75cd62562731f6?hl=en) where a few famous hot spots are just within walking distance from there, such as Central Market and Petaling Street (China town).

Or, by using KTM Komuter you can straight go to Batu Cave station and visit Batu Cave from there.

However, it is important to note that the KTM Komuter station has a distance from the port where the cruise park. You may need to check or ask the workers at the port to understand how to get to KTM Komuter station.

Regarding the taxi charge - sorry I have no idea. It is sad to admit that Malaysia has one of the worst taxi service among the world, and the taxi driver will simply charge whatever price they think is right. I recommend you check with your travel agent on this.

Second, if you decided to take a taxi, avoid peak hours such as morning 7:30am to 9:30am, and evening 5:00pm to 7:30pm. The traffic jam is a nightmare during these hours.

I hope the above helps you.

Enjoy your cruise trip!