Port Everglades--Terminal 29--Do something, RCI!

I keep reading horror stories about this terminal, and am now totally freaked out to board the Navigator there this Feb. Will be our first time on a ship larger than the Radiance-class. If this terminal is such a big problem, why isn't Royal doing anything to fix it? They can't have people standing outside in the hot sun for long periods of time, or whatever else is going on. This seems to be an on-going issue, not just a fluke thing.

I've read a number of posts from people that don't even want to book a specific ship if she's docked at 29! That is just unacceptable, really. The situation needs to be rectified.

I keep reading horror stories about this terminal, and am now totally freaked out to board the Navigator there this Feb. Will be our first time on a ship larger than the Radiance-class. If this terminal is such a big problem, why isn't Royal doing anything to fix it? They can't have people standing outside in the hot sun for long periods of time, or whatever else is going on. This seems to be an on-going issue, not just a fluke thing.

I've read a number of posts from people that don't even want to book a specific ship if she's docked at 29! That is just unacceptable, really. The situation needs to be rectified.

I guess you should show up dressed to stand outside in the hot sun. Maybe come dressed as if you were going to lay out in the hot sun by the pool while on your cruise? I still can't believe you would actually not sail on a ship because of the terminal it sails from. Maybe Royal Caribbean has no control over this? Is it a terminal issue or a cruise line issue? What are the issues exactly? Just delays? That has happened at every cruise I've gone on. I've even waited outside in the hot sun, but I knew I was going to so I was ready for it! Living in Michigan I'd wait out in the hot sun any day! :)

I guess you should show up dressed to stand outside in the hot sun. Maybe come dressed as if you were going to lay out in the hot sun by the pool while on your cruise? I still can't believe you would actually not sail on a ship because of the terminal it sails from. Maybe Royal Caribbean has no control over this? Is it a terminal issue or a cruise line issue? What are the issues exactly? Just delays? That has happened at every cruise I've gone on. I've even waited outside in the hot sun, but I knew I was going to so I was ready for it! Living in Michigan I'd wait out in the hot sun any day! :)

Um...did I say that I wouldn't sail a ship due to this? I'm booked on one, so...you must have me confused with someone else.

This is a serious problem that needs to be fixed, not just a normal delay.

I must have missed this one...what's the problem with terminal 29? :confused: just curious

Just several concerns/complaints about both the embarkation/debarkation processes at 29. Apparently it's been an issue for years, with serious organizational issues resulting in very long lines, having to stand outside for long periods of time (hour or more), etc. Someone who just boarded her yesterday had several of the same issuesl, however that very well could have been the huge amount of people in Port Everglades yesterday, who knows. Just seems like a pattern that really is just not acceptable, in my opinion. I realize things happen--inspections, illnesses, etc., but again this seems to be more the rule, not the exception.

I read somewhere that the sky was falling also. Maybe you should reconsider!!! What specifically would you like rectified about the situation? Or realize that the terminal time will be a very small percentage of you time during the week. Forget the reviews and have a great cruise.

I read somewhere that the sky was falling also. Maybe you should reconsider!!! What specifically would you like rectified about the situation? Or realize that the terminal time will be a very small percentage of you time during the week. Forget the reviews and have a great cruise.

You're probably right. I'll have a great cruise no matter what, not worried about that. Just would rather not stand in a 3 hour line prior to boarding.

Doesn't Navigator / Liberty always use #24?

Granted, 24 is not great either...embarkation is fine, but you disembark from deck 1 and must walk outside to a common arrival building shared with #23.

Seems funny that they would want to navigate a vessel that large all the way down the channel to #29...

I don't care what terminal Navigator leaves from at Port Everglades. What I hate is when the ship leaves from one terminal but returns to Fort Lauderdale at another terminal. Then anyone who has parked at the original terminal will have to take a bus or van back to it. The wait for such a van can take a lot of time. I hate when that happens.

In short, what ever terminal the ship departs from, please use that same terminal for the return. Of course, I know such arrangements may not be something RCI can control.

An advanatge of Oasis and Allure at Port Everglades is that they do always use the same terminal for departures and returns.

You're probably right. I'll have a great cruise no matter what, not worried about that. Just would rather not stand in a 3 hour line prior to boarding.

Is that what you want to avoid ? (posted by another cruiser in another post #25 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522789&page=2 )

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390790_10150975445495352_617355351_21864391_1039463376_n.jpg

Is that what you want to avoid ? (posted by another cruiser in another post)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390790_10150975445495352_617355351_21864391_1039463376_n.jpg

Ha, it sure is! I have been on over 30 cruises with Royal and I have never seen anything like that in my life. That would be pure hell to me!

Ha, it sure is! I have been on over 30 cruises with Royal and I have never seen anything like that in my life. That would be pure hell to me!

I will not like that either ...... and I will be there on the 10th of Dec ..... I hope it will improve ........ one thing that was good on that day - it did not rain ..... imagine how much worse it could have been if it did rain hard ?

I will not like that either ...... and I will be there on the 10th of Dec ..... I hope it will improve ........ one thing that was good on that day - it did not rain ..... imagine how much worse it could have been if it did rain hard ?

Oh, boy, you're right...didn't even think of that.

Enjoy your cruise, it's almost here!!

OMG, that pic did sum up the visions I had after reading what has been posted lately about the Liberty. Not sure about the Nav, but there's been lots of chatter of the long delay/lines being outside in that snake after the Liberty returns to port.

This will be my first Liberty cruise, but not my first Ft. Lauderdale embark/debark, and can also say I've not seen anything like this (all cruises were RCI) and I so hope it gets better.

Remember that the poster who took that pic said they were informed that there was an inspection going on that day and that's why everything was delayed and backed up. The easiest way to avoid this, it seems, is to get to the terminal at 2:30 or 3PM and avoid the intial rush and any delays that happen.

We still plan to go early to our NOS February sailing since we're trying to coordinate with about a dozen people and want to make sure everyone gets onboard (a lot of first time cruisers!). Otherwise I've realized it's best to just wait a little later and board after that first rush. I'll be sure to let everyone know to dress to stand outside. Though I doubt my MN family will mind that too much!!

Remember that the poster who took that pic said they were informed that there was an inspection going on that day and that's why everything was delayed and backed up. The easiest way to avoid this, it seems, is to get to the terminal at 2:30 or 3PM and avoid the intial rush and any delays that happen.

We still plan to go early to our NOS February sailing since we're trying to coordinate with about a dozen people and want to make sure everyone gets onboard (a lot of first time cruisers!). Otherwise I've realized it's best to just wait a little later and board after that first rush. I'll be sure to let everyone know to dress to stand outside. Though I doubt my MN family will mind that too much!!

From posters -- it's the delays getting off too (Liberty) then heading outside to another terminal is also very much a problem and also out in the elements. De-barkation is also taking longer than normal.

DH and I are on the 12/10 sailing of Navigator. As far as I can figure out there will be only 4 ships in that morning. Navigator isn't always going to be at 29.

We always arrive very early so for us this wouldn't be problem anyway. We arrive while others are still disembarking and just sit on the wood chairs or whatever and read.

Its sad to see people so upset about something that more than likely will not be a problem.

I have a cruise booked and paid for on the Nav. for January 2012. Those pics sure do look alarming to me. I sure do hope this was a one time occurrance. I sailed on a Celebrity cruise in 2005 just after a hurricane passed through Ft. Lauderdale and Port Everglades just got power restored and opened the morning we boarded and the ship (Century) had just returned from a TA. The ship had a full Coast Guard inspection and it was a mess. The pics and report of the 11-20 Nav was much worse. Our terminal was full but most people had a seat and did not have to stand in a looooooong line outside in the weather. We finally boarded about 2:00 pm, we arrived at about 1030 am. The location of terminal 29 in relation to the parking is also not the best but if the terminal is organized otherwise you can live with the shuttle. I will be interested in hearing how it goes this weekend on the turn around. I am confident that RCCL will straighten out the issues and it will be OK. I do understand the concern by the original poster.

Archived