St Thomas from 1:30-10pm

canadarocks

We'll be in St Thomas on the Caribbean Princess in January as a result of a change of ports. I'm presuming we'll be at Havensight; the change is so new that it's not yet showing on vinow dot com

Any recommendations for private excursions within the 1:30-10pm time frame? I know that the beaches will be crammed. Are there catamaran sails that would work? Sunset cocktail or dinner cruise perhaps?

We'll be in St Thomas on the Caribbean Princess in January as a result of a change of ports. I'm presuming we'll be at Havensight; the change is so new that it's not yet showing on vinow dot com

Any recommendations for private excursions within the 1:30-10pm time frame? I know that the beaches will be crammed. Are there catamaran sails that would work? Sunset cocktail or dinner cruise perhaps?

Cindy, keep it mind that it will be be about 2 PM before we'll actually be able to get off the ship in St. Thomas plus the time getting to a beach... sort of late to even think of doing that.

Have you found anything yet on a Sunset Catamaran Sail?

LuLu

Cindy, keep it mind that it will be be about 2 PM before we'll actually be able to get off the ship in St. Thomas plus the time getting to a beach... sort of late to even think of doing that.

Have you found anything yet on a Sunset Catamaran Sail?

LuLu

Yes I know it's late for the beach and with 3 other huge ships there, they'll be packed anyway. I've read mixed reviews on New Horizons' sunset dinner cruise, but that's about all I've come up with for now. Any suggestions?

ps - Off topic, but please know that my comment about people not caring about ports wasn't directed at you. :)

Yes currently there are 3 other ships with ~13k fellow cruisers there, 1 ship from 11:30 - 7 and 2 from 8 - 6 so the beaches will be busy until 4. But if you want a simple beach day I'd suggest Sapphire and maybe a stop at Paradise Point for a cocktail and evening view.

How many in your party? If less than 6 check your roll call to see if you can find another couple or two and book an independent operator like High Pockets or Yacht Nightwind for a private day sail. Beautiful way to see the island and water, especially when the island is busier. They may accommodate a 2:30 - 6:30 sunset sail if you have enough ppl.

St Thomas is frequented by so many ships, and so many people have been before so I'll bet you can find someone on your roll call interested in doing something different.

I would also take advantage of this late departure by having a nice dinner at one of the restaurants with a view of the harbor like Mafolie or Room WIth a View or , or perhaps Oceana in Frenchtown.

Blue Water ....

Thanks for the good & accurate information you always provide.

Just letting you know the situation.

Caribbean Princess has experienced technical issues which keeps the ship from going at full speed.

We just received more itinerary changes a few days ago so everyone on our roll call is in the same situation.

Canada Rocks had several tours with independents (as did others) in places we will not be going which had to be canceled.

Knowing the situation, hopefully, you can give more detailed info on how to get to the places you recommended and the independents you like.

LuLu :)

Blue Water ....

Thanks for the good & accurate information you always provide.

Just letting you know the situation.

Caribbean Princess has experienced technical issues which keeps the ship from going at full speed.

We just received more itinerary changes a few days ago so everyone on our roll call is in the same situation.

Canada Rocks had several tours with independents (as did others) in places we will not be going which had to be canceled.

Knowing the situation, hopefully, you can give more detailed info on how to get to the places you recommended and the independents you like.

LuLu :)

Hi Lulu!

That's really a shame, you're looking forward to a certain itinerary and then this news...

I like the day sails mentioned and they both accommodate cruise ship passengers. They typically go out earlier of course, but If Canadarocks is interested (and lucky) one of them may be available to go by their port time if they have enough people to cover the cost. Worth a shot I think...YN takes up to 18 people, but HP takes only 6 so may be doable. The roll call is a good place to find other interested parties.

http://www.sailhighpockets.com/NewFiles/Questions%20&%20answers1.html

http://www.stjohndaysail.com/cruise-ship-excursions/

And a nice, romantic dinner at one of the better restaurants with a view of the harbor lights is a great way to enjoy a late departure, something you don't get to do on most STT cruises! ;)

http://www.mafolie.com/restaurant.html

http://roomwithaviewvi.com/

http://www.oceanavi.com

Lulu I asked for your input on a question on the Tortola forum when you have a sec - thanks!

Paradise Point isn't usually open on Tue night but maybe they'll make an exception since your ship will be in late and they have plenty of advanced notice.

Of those bluewater listed, Room With A View is a good choice. They have a great happy hour with small plate specials so you could enjoy the sunset from there at a great price.

Most of the night activities are Wed thru Sunday, but there may be something new coming for the 2018 season but probably nothing will be announced until December.

The Fury sunset sail may still be an option, though.

I've decided to wait and see what Princess comes up with in the way of shore excursions before we decide what to do. But great suggestions here to consider as well. Thanks so much! :)

I'm doing the same. Checking the Princess site a couple times a day!

Debr

Thanks, canadarocks. I have learned so much from these and other forums so I want to return the generosity. I used to bug the people on the computer forums and could never answer a question. Finally, forums where I can actually answer questions!

Ditto. Have you noticed that the St Maarten excursions haven't been updated either? Hopefully people aren't reserving them, because they'll be changing for sure.

I didn't really look at St. Maarten because we booked a private tour with Captain Bob when the time in port changed. You'd think they could get the excursions updated by now. Not like they didn't know this change was coming! I'm keeping my fingers crossed we still get to go to Barbados and Bonaire. One of the other trips (Oct. or March?) had Barbados cut.

Debr

Yes there's no reason to make plans now if you are not looking for something special, but if you do want something unique like an uncrowded day sail and not an excursion through the cruise line you will want to act now.

if just looking for something through the ship the champagne cat to STJ that Lulu often recommends is one of the very few excursions it makes sense to book through the ship.

Another great excursion through the ship on SXM is the Golden Eagle cat sail, one of our favorites. You have time to see Philipsburg and can enjoy the rest of the day sailing. We also enjoyed the full day sail while staying in St Martin, great crew and a very enjoyable day!

http://sailingsxm.com/