Help me with the FREE Beaches from port in Nassau, please

turning40withMickey

I need to go by taxi or water ferry to Paradise Island, right?

From what I understand there are two completely free beaches, Junkanoo and Cabbage Beach.

What can you tell me about them? If I want to go to either, do I just tell the taxi driver that? "Drop me at Cabbage Beach".

Is it easy to get a taxi BACK to the port later in the day?

Cost of taxi? $4 per person (right?)

Amenities (if any) on either beach (rental costs, anyone?)

Which would you choose?

I am not interested in a day pass, there are five of us (teens, not babies)and we will just enjoy the beach ;) Thanks for the help!

Just talking to myself:p

Junkanoo beach is close to the port, you can walk to it. It has restrooms and some concessions. I haven't heard anything about Cabbage Beach, other than it is on Paradise Island, you need to take a taxi there, and there are no public restrooms.

anyone have anything to add?:)

There are 2 public beaches near port.

Cabbage Beach is on Paradise Island near Atlantis/RUI. It has a public access path next to the RUI. Take a $4 cab from the port, taxi's will lbe waiting to take you back as well. You can also take the ferry across to PI, then a 10 minute walk to the beach entrance. There are signs pointing the way.

It's a long stretch of beautiful beach, but can get a strong current and undertow during some seasons and when winds are from the north. There are no amenities here. No restrooms, lifeguards or gov't sponsored vendors.

You'll find locals renting chairs, umbrellas, jetskis, parasailing, t shirt, drinks, water, hair braiding etc. Some are annoying, some are friendly.

The beach had an erosion problem last year, so it drops off quickly a few feet from the beach. This is NOT a good beach for little ones, but good for those who have some swimming skills and can manage being knocked over by waves occasionally.

This beach is red flagged often in the winter months, as there can be rip tides and other dangers. No life guards.. we've had some near misses with people getting caught in the rip tide not be able to get back in.. so head the flag warnings.

Junkanoo beach is just outside of town, about 15 minute walk, or a quick cab or jitney ride. #10 Jitney is $1.25 pp.

It's in calm waters, crystal clear and turquoise. There are consession stands, restrooms, chair rentals, hair braiding and sometimes even local music. The beach itself is a bit rockier that cabbage beach, but safer for the little ones by the waters edge.

No life guards. There are a limited # of vendors on the beach as well as small shacks selling local goods.

There are generally no jet ski's unless a couple of vendors find their way into the harbour, but there is no jet skiing in the harbour, so you have to take it out into open water. Jet ski's are 18 years and older with a drivers license. So this is hit or miss.

There are 2 public beaches near port.

Cabbage Beach is on Paradise Island near Atlantis/RUI. It has a public access path next to the RUI. Take a $4 cab from the port, taxi's will lbe waiting to take you back as well. You can also take the ferry across to PI, then a 10 minute walk to the beach entrance. There are signs pointing the way.

It's a long stretch of beautiful beach, but can get a strong current and undertow during some seasons and when winds are from the north. There are no amenities here. No restrooms, lifeguards or gov't sponsored vendors.

You'll find locals renting chairs, umbrellas, jetskis, parasailing, t shirt, drinks, water, hair braiding etc. Some are annoying, some are friendly.

The beach had an erosion problem last year, so it drops off quickly a few feet from the beach. This is NOT a good beach for little ones, but good for those who have some swimming skills and can manage being knocked over by waves occasionally.

This beach is red flagged often in the winter months, as there can be rip tides and other dangers. No life guards.. we've had some near misses with people getting caught in the rip tide not be able to get back in.. so head the flag warnings.

Junkanoo beach is just outside of town, about 15 minute walk, or a quick cab or jitney ride. #10 Jitney is $1.25 pp.

It's in calm waters, crystal clear and turquoise. There are consession stands, restrooms, chair rentals, hair braiding and sometimes even local music. The beach itself is a bit rockier that cabbage beach, but safer for the little ones by the waters edge.

No life guards. There are a limited # of vendors on the beach as well as small shacks selling local goods.

There are generally no jet ski's unless a couple of vendors find their way into the harbour, but there is no jet skiing in the harbour, so you have to take it out into open water. Jet ski's are 18 years and older with a drivers license. So this is hit or miss.

Very informative, thank you very much!

Scubagirl,

Your posts are SO informative, thanks for your contributions to this forum! We've been to Nassau a few times and are going again in March. On our last visit, we considered following your advice and catching the #10 Jitney to Junkanoo but we were not able to figure out how to do this.

In the past, you've posted about how Junkanoo goes through periods of being kept up and then it tends to get trashed. How's it doing now? Is March a time when its more likely to be kept clean or become trashed?

Can you please post exact instructions on where to go from the cruise ship terminal in order to catch/find the Jitney #10?

Also, what exactly is a Jitney, is that another word for a bus or is it something else?

Do you know how often it arrives/leaves the cruise terminal?

How long of a ride is it to Junkanoo?

How long of a rid is it back?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Here's some general info I found:

Jitney buses: These run between the downtown area to Cable Beach and Paradise Island from early morning until about 7 p.m. at 30-minute intervals. Fares vary (though they're generally about $1.25 per person, each way), depending on the route. Exact change is required.

The Nassau Water Taxi departs every 30 minutes from behind the Festival Market to Paradise Island, operating daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The roundtrip cost is $6. Notes: Though the trip takes just 10 minutes, the water taxi may not depart on time. Since the operators tend to give you a bit of a "tour" along the way, expect to be approached for a gratuity.

Yes, a jitney is just another name for a public bus/van. We took the jitney to the zoo the last time we were there. As I recall, we walked to the downtown shop area and just asked someone where the bus stop was. Very easy. Can't answer your other questions about times, etc.

We took the water taxi to Paradise Island and walked on the nearby beach.

Scubagirl,

Your posts are SO informative, thanks for your contributions to this forum! We've been to Nassau a few times and are going again in March. On our last visit, we considered following your advice and catching the #10 Jitney to Junkanoo but we were not able to figure out how to do this.

You could walk, it's only 15 minute from port, just go west (right) along the wharf and follow the sidewalk around the Hilton property to the other side.. The beach is just past the fences.

In the past, you've posted about how Junkanoo goes through periods of being kept up and then it tends to get trashed. How's it doing now? Is March a time when its more likely to be kept clean or become trashed?

So far so good.. beach and area is clean and safe during the daylight hours

Can you please post exact instructions on where to go from the cruise ship terminal in order to catch/find the Jitney #10?

From theh port exit, just go straight up one block to Bay Street (rawson Square), make a right, go 2-3 short blocks, on the left you see jitney's lined up heading up george street. Someone will direct you to the next jitney. Tell the driver where to drop you. he'll let you know when you arrive. Pay $1.25 pp as you leave the vehicle.

Also, what exactly is a Jitney, is that another word for a bus or is it something else?

Is's a 24-30 seat bus, middle seats fold down for add'l seating.

Do you know how often it arrives/leaves the cruise terminal?

It leaves george street every few minutes.. around 3-7 minutes depending on time of day. they run from 6am - 6:30pm

How long of a ride is it to Junkanoo? about 4 minutes - up the hill and down the hill, past the hilton.(most streets downtown are one way)

How long of a rid is it back? Even shorter

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Hope this was helpful!

I took scubagirls advice last year and went to Junkanoo. It was great. The beach was clean and with 3 ships in port i was suprised to find only a few people there. Im cruising this weekend to Nassau and will be going back to Junkanoo. Wish i could post some pictures but Im at work:rolleyes:

GREAT info on the beaches, thanks so much! We're going to Nassau in May and I'm looking for somewhere to just chill and enjoy the beach for the day. My last cruise had 4 port days in a row and felt so GO, GO, GO that I'm looking forward to some relaxation this time. :cool:

I took scubagirls advice last year and went to Junkanoo. It was great. The beach was clean and with 3 ships in port i was suprised to find only a few people there. Im cruising this weekend to Nassau and will be going back to Junkanoo. Wish i could post some pictures but Im at work:rolleyes:

;)Post us some pics when you get home!

(I am blocked from any discussion boards at work, jealous that you can even read them!)

Scubagirl, You mentioned that Junkanoo is a bit rocky. Can you see anything if you take your own snorkel equipment. I love to snorkel and am happy even if it's not "great" snorkeling. What is your opinion on that? Thanks so much.

Nothing to speak of, but there is always something interesting swishing by.

There's a couple of jetties, I would think you could find some juveniles feeding off the walls.

Scubagirl, You mentioned that Junkanoo is a bit rocky. Can you see anything if you take your own snorkel equipment. I love to snorkel and am happy even if it's not "great" snorkeling. What is your opinion on that? Thanks so much.

Nothing to speak of, but there is always something interesting swishing by.

There's a couple of jetties, I would think you could find some juveniles feeding off the walls.

I wondered about snorkeling too, we also have our own gear and I am sure my kids will have fun even if there isn't all that much to see!

Edited by turning40withMickey
Thanks for all of your help, Scubagirl! You are a wealth of information :)

It will be my third time in nassau and we always go at that beach:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=25.081595,-77.339373&daddr=25.079101,-77.349157&hl=en&geocode=Ffu2fgEdE-Vj-w%3BFT2tfgEd275j-w&mra=ls&sll=25.078994,-77.348087&sspn=0.002118,0.004128&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17

It's like a 15min walk through the city. It's free, nice and close!

Edited by destinet

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of amenities does the beach have? Do they have lockers? Can you get alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages? Is it safe for 2 women to go alone? I'm traveling with my DD, 18. Thanks for any info you can give me:)

cabbage beach is like legendary. i went in october 2009 with dh and another couple. there are like NO facilities. i saw a couple of beach bars but didn't notice any bathrooms to speak of. we just asked a cab driver to take us there and that i had heard tell of drinking out of a coconut. he parked the cab and walked us through a wooded area (which made dh a bit nervous) and out onto this beautiful beach.

now you can just set up on the sand if you want, or you can have your driver introduce you to one of the gents along the beach who will rent you a lounge chair for $10. they also gave us a boatload of alcohol for $20 a person. our new friend hacked open a coconut, made the men drink some of the milk because it was good for 'later tonight' (lol) and said he'd refill it with rum and juice SIX TIMES. and we're talking like a shot of juice, just enough to color it, and all rum. GOOD rum. the term 'three sheets to the wind' would be highly appropriate here.

there were families there, but i opted not to go when it was just myself and my mom. i don't know that i would go again with myself and my husband - we met up with people through online message boards on the cruise and formed a group to go to cabbage beach. i would recommend that if you wanted to check it out.

if you want amenities, you might want to check out one of the hotels beaches, many will allow you to use their facilities for free or a small fee. or you could go for one of the big packages that includes lunch and drinks. i know we just walked into a hotel at freeport, used their bathrooms, and walked out to their beach to hang out.

• 6 years later...
are there locker rentals there? if not how do you guys protect your bags from being stoeln or gone through while in the water?

No locker rentals, it's just like beaches at home, have someone watch it, get a waterproof pouch, or a bag that locks to a chair. We live on the east coast, have gone to the beach hundreds of time here and on vacations, and have never had anything taken.