Am I crazy to consider flight from FLL at 11:55 porting in Miami?

Algebralovr

Greetings all!

We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection in February, and Southwest has decided to no longer offer the flight home that I've used the last few years. Previously, I've flown a non-stop from FLL to STL that left FLL around 1:30 or 2pm. The one I've found doesn't leave FLL until 7:05pm. My other option is 11:55 am, but since I'll need to transfer from POM, that makes me nervous.

We're considering just renting a car and hanging out at Hollywood Beach or somewhere like that for the day, but part of me wonders if we could make the 11:55 flight. We have pre-check, and should be traveling fairly light, but after the experience we had last February coming off the Equinox on a Friday afternoon, when we were supposed to leave the ship at 8am, were held until after 9am on the ship, then didn't get past Customs until nearly 11, the 11:55 flight makes me nervous.

The idea of not flying until 7pm means I'll need to get lunch and dinner, or at least one of these, before boarding the flight, then we will get to STL around 9pm, but it will feel like 10pm, and we will still have a 2 hour flight home after getting our luggage and car.

Might as well book a room and start out the next morning.

Thoughts?

Could you make the flight? Sure. Will you? Well, as your own experience shows, things happen, and there's really not much margin in that timeframe.

Personally, I'm a big fan of overnighting after disembarkation and flying home the next day. I don't want to have to deal with stress throughout my cruise.

Edited by Twickenham

Take this in a helpful and not a snarky context. Re-read your own post, and you've answered your own question. :)

- You're nervous you won't make the flight.

- Personal past experience supports your worry.

- You dislike taking this type of risk (no problem with that).

- Hanging out all day, then arriving home late is an added dislike.

- You've offered yourself a good solution, and cost or time don't seem to be an issue since you don't mention either as a negative.

Hope this self-realization helps!

'll just keep my 7 pm flights. I mainly wanted a second opinion. I considered flying home the next day, but the price is $100 per person higher, and the hotel in STL if we decide to overnight there is a lot less than FLL will be. Probably $100 less for the night in fact!

I found a car for $43 for the day, picking it up just outside POM and returning to FLL.

Since I've made the decision I have, we'll end up off the ship and through customs by 8....

Now to figure out where to leave my car in STL.