How glam do you go girls??

Munstergal22

Hey everyone

Quick one for the girls - how glammed up do you get in the evenings??

I'm 10 weeks away from my Adriatic cruise on the Jade and was bored in work today so started making a list of what I needed to pack.

Do you wear heels or flats? Straighten/curl hair? Full make up?

I know NCL is freestyle so pretty much anything goes but I'm just wondering what the rest of you do?

TIA x

Edited by Munstergal22

I know many people like to remain pretty casual throughout their cruise, but personally I enjoy getting dressed up nearly every night. When I go out for dinner at home, I rarely get the opportunity to wear my dressier skirts and tops.

You will see people wearing shorts, jeans, sundresses, sparkly tops etc. What I love about NCL is the real freedom to dress as you please.

Keep in mind some specialty restaurants require what they call "smart casual". Here is a link to NCL's guide: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

Enjoy your cruise!

Tracy

I wear dresses every day to work at home. I'm either dressed in a dress or jeans pretty much no in between. Usually when I cruise I bring a bunch of dresses to wear at night. I do wedge sandals/heels as I tend to wander & dance all night and need to be comfortable. For cruising solo I only packed 1 dress as I was worried I'd be eating alone in the buffet each night and semi-regretted not packing all my dresses! I did jeans/capris & nice tops. Every night full makeup.

I know many people like to remain pretty casual throughout their cruise, but personally I enjoy getting dressed up nearly every night. When I go out for dinner at home, I rarely get the opportunity to wear my dressier skirts and tops.

You will see people wearing shorts, jeans, sundresses, sparkly tops etc. What I love about NCL is the real freedom to dress as you please.

Keep in mind some specialty restaurants require what they call "smart casual". Here is a link to NCL's guide: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

Enjoy your cruise!

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Yes, I was thinking of going a bit on the dressier side too, like yourself I don't get much opportunity at home 😄

Like every holiday though im sure I'll drag my hairdryer, straightner and curler along with me and rarely use them, too much time spent having fun 😜

I'm 5-10 so I usually don't do a lot of heels. I do a lot of skirts and maxi dresses...usually with flip flops or ballet slippers. I will bring a pair of wedges for dressier outfits, usually the black ones so they match more things. I don't wear shirts or capris much to dinner, mostly skirts and dresses, but definitely more casual summery ones.

Hair and makeup always. Sometimes depending on the breeze and weather, I will just tie back my hair with a nice clip or bow. If dining in one of the specialty restaurants in the evening, I will definitely do more with my hair.

Resort casual all day and evenings when we do not have special dining plans. If we are headed to Le Bistro, I'll up things.

Sounds like you will look great so just relax and enjoy:)

Hey everyone

Quick one for the girls - how glammed up do you get in the evenings??

I'm 10 weeks away from my Adriatic cruise on the Jade and was bored in work today so started making a list of what I needed to pack.

Do you wear heels or flats? Straighten/curl hair? Full make up?

I know NCL is freestyle so pretty much anything goes but I'm just wondering what the rest of you do?

TIA x

I wouldn't take any formal wear again on a Norwegian cruise - however - I found most people made an effort in the evening - certainly wasn't sloppy -

Go with what YOU enjoy - like dressing up - do so, prefer being totally casual - your choice -

European cruise - most likely more will dress on the upside rather than down -

Wear what you would do for a night out in a club/pub or nice restaurant.

But for sure leave the tux and gown at home - we took my husbands kilt on our last NCL cruise - and I took gowns - bordering on the ridiculous!:eek:

Wore them one night and packed them away - lucky we had friends with us doing the same - and sure - it was "Dress up or not night" - we just should have "not" ;)

Edited by Blondie008

Hi Tracy,

Like every holiday though im sure I'll drag my hairdryer, straightner and curler along with me and rarely use them, too much time spent having fun

No hairdryer. One is provided, and I've read that the ones from home can blow a fuse - no power in your cabin or your neighbor's.

I've found European cruises tend to be a bit dressier than others.

That said, NCL is freestyle, so you can wear what you want. At the very least, though, we dress as we would going out to a nicer restaurant.

I always wear makeup, at least a little, so, yes to the makeup for me. Hair? I wouldn't go crazy - I wouldn't waste money for an up-do in the salon, for example, but if you want to fancy it up some, sure, go for it.

I don't bother with heels, if I can help it, but, let's face it, some dresses would look funny with flats.

Basically, whatever floats your boat.

I suggest using this for inspiration...

0f3ad1cfe69b56732181b404913fc29f.jpg

(thanks to whoever posted this a few months ago)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I can't help but wonder what the front of the dress looks like - assuming it has a front :eek:

All I know is I wear underwear with my dresses, whether they need it or not :D

Edited by galensgrl

I can't help but wonder what the front of the dress looks like - assuming it has a front :eek:

All I know is I wear underwear with my dresses, whether they need it or not :D

The guy just looks embarrassed. Seriously? Is this for real?

Enjoy your cruise!

Tracy

The minimum requirement for "smart casual" is a pair of jeans or khakis for men along with a collared shirt, like a golf or polo shirt, and a pair of shoes that are not open toe. Gym shoes will meet the standard. So not really difficult to meet that standard.

I am European (but in America since a child). I always dress up for dinner. I always take a pair of heels, wedges, a few flip flops and sneakers

For dinner I call it island dress up. I am not going to a wedding so you will not see that type of attire. Lots of sun dresses long and short, sleeveless or halter type style. I have rocked some modern versions of mrs roper (threes company tv show) type of dresses. I usually would use wedges or heels depending if the ship is stable.

The cruise that I just completed had a few days of rocking, so I stuck with dressier flip flop flats and cute modern mrs roper type outfit. It did look very cute

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/aa/18/88/aa1888c2c336328f33ac32a1458307e6.jpg Is an example of a similar dress I wore

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9f/7c/df/9f7cdf0113f785eb42bb368d55a3458c.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3d/4e/71/3d4e71c9ee4a34cae7dee1254c1623ee.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/94/4c/51/944c515ece9065eb4569e6d290429554.jpg

http://www.boomerinas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/this-not-that-pack-for-hawaii-trip-2.jpg

I suggest using this for inspiration...

0f3ad1cfe69b56732181b404913fc29f.jpg

(thanks to whoever posted this a few months ago)

Ummm okay although it's an interesting outfit. A cruise is not the place for that dress. Maybe a club in NYC or something.

Renata...I love that first dress. It is absolutely gorgeous!

To answer OP's question.. I love to dress up for dinner when we're cruising. Not 'prom' dress up but more resort smart wear.

The bling is also important! It's probably the only time I wear flashy accessories. I've also found that high wedgies cut it for dress up footwear. They have that stability that you need on a ship (for whatever reason;)).

It's such a personal choice. I don't really worry about what anyone else is wearing.

On NCL you can dress however you like..and I do!

Cheers..

I am European (but in America since a child). I always dress up for dinner. I always take a pair of heels, wedges, a few flip flops and sneakers

For dinner I call it island dress up. I am not going to a wedding so you will not see that type of attire. Lots of sun dresses long and short, sleeveless or halter type style. I have rocked some modern versions of mrs roper (threes company tv show) type of dresses. I usually would use wedges or heels depending if the ship is stable.

The cruise that I just completed had a few days of rocking, so I stuck with dressier flip flop flats and cute modern mrs roper type outfit. It did look very cute

I love these, but they look more like beach dresses or swim cover ups, and not something I'd wear to dinner (if I was intending to dress fancy). Perfect for a pool bar, or a beach or deck party though. The first one is my favorite.