Tour from Naples Port to Almalfi Sorrento & Capri.. 2 people? First timers!

Debzee

We are sailing on Allure Of The Seas on May 21, 2015. We wish to tour these places; however, the cost is quite expensive unless you go as a group. What is a good tour company?

Robert & Debra

I am sure you will get some replies,but in the meantime do some reading on this board...there is a lot of info here on DIY re train,boat,car etc. as well as general info on both places. Use the search function or scroll through the pages. I am assuming you are not interested in Pompeii which i real easy to do from Naples.There is info here on that in case you change your mind.

I am sure you will get some replies,but in the meantime do some reading on this board...there is a lot of info here on DIY re train,boat,car etc. as well as general info on both places. Use the search function or scroll through the pages. I am assuming you are not interested in Pompeii which i real easy to do from Naples.There is info here on that in case you change your mind.

Agree, just read down the board...there are many recommendations, including the wonderful Rome in Limo.

I see you are active on your Roll call. Per board rules, that is where tour shares are arranged.

Agree, just read down the board...there are many recommendations, including the wonderful Rome in Limo.

I see you are active on your Roll call. Per board rules, that is where tour shares are arranged.

Yes, Rome in Limo is the way to go. Our day in Naples was outstanding thanks to them.

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and you will see why they were awarded Certificate of Excellence.

Robert and Debra there are several good tour companies. Some have been mentioned already and others are noted on various threads. This is another one that I would recommend.

http://www.joebananalimos.net

I would look at a few of them. Read reviews here. Read reviews on trip advisor. Go to their web sites and see what they offer and then write to a couple of them and see how they respond which also helps to give you an indication of each of them.

My view is that several are good and that because of that you will get more than one recommendation as you have already.

Keith

Just returned from 2 weeks in the Mediterranean and our favorite day was on the Amalfi coast with Carmine from seaamalficoast.com. He is a native of the area and has such a passion for showing it off. He customized our day to our needs and was an excellent guide. We started our day in Pompeii and then he drove us along the amalfi coast. We ate at the most wonderful organic, farm fresh place you could ever imagine all overlooking the beauty of Positano. He stopped at all the great photo spots along the way, drove us to Sorrento, gave us time to shop and then took us to a family operated olive grove where we could fast the different oils, learn about the process and (no pressure at all) buy very well priced and high quality olive oil.

Thank you so much for your review on seeamalficoast.com. My husband & I just booked thru them yesterday & we requested Carmine! We are doing Tour 3 which includes Ravello, Amalfi , Positano & then for ( 40 euros hr), we added on an hour stop at Sorrento for some shopping. I understand shopping is a lot cheaper in Sorrento?? This is our first time EVER to Europe ( Italy- Western Mediterranian) . Can you tell me more about the restaurant, LaTagliata??? Is it all u can eat & what is the cost? From Naples port, how far is it to the first stop? Did you stop at any beaches? All info is greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Robert & Debr

La Tagliata was my favorite travel experience, not because of the food, which was good, but the views are unbelievable! It's family style. I think apps, salad , main and wine was $35 dollars. It was arranged by RIL. NOT TO BE MISSED !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Its funny how we all have different experiences.

We were terribly disappointed in La Tagliata. On our fourth cruise visit last year we finally visited for lunch while on our private tour.

While the views were really nice, if you aren't in a large group you will be seated back away from them since the larger tables are placed in a better location for the best view. It was just my dh and I and we were placed back by a wall with no view whatsoever and by the kitchen door :(

The food was pretty good but not spectacular in my opinion. I am not a serious foody - but I love to cook and truly enjoy experiencing familiar foods as well as trying new things when traveling. Ate some pretty unusual things while in Egypt for 15 days :eek:

But it was the service that I was truly disappointed in. I had heard so much about the family run restaurant and the service that comes with an establishment such as that. We found the restaurant extremely crowded, chaotic and the service was so incredibly slow and rushed - it was almost as if they threw the plates on the table and rushed off. In fact, it took so long to get our food etc that our driver/guide intervened on our behalf.

I am not saying this will be your experience - but beware that this restaurant has become so popular with tourists and thus suffers from the consequences.

We are returning next May for another visit but will stick to our original plan of finding a small "hole in the wall" place for lunch that will not "eat" into so much time on a very limited schedule to begin with. BTW: we have found quite a few of those with REALLY great authentic food !

Anyway, Just another side of the story …...

That's ok Texancruiser. I'm wondering if my experience was better because I was with a group from Rome In Limo, and the driver clearly knew the restaurant family. Is there another place where you can take such spectacular photos? The food was pretty good, too, and I enjoyed being with six Cruise Critic members whom I had just met.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's ok Texancruiser. I'm wondering if my experience was better because I was with a group from Rome In Limo, and the driver clearly knew the restaurant family. Is there another place where you can take such spectacular photos? The food was pretty good, too, and I enjoyed being with six Cruise Critic members whom I had just met.

I almost didn't post our experience…. so many have given such glowing recommendations for this restaurant that I thought perhaps others would think I was somehow not being honest or have some other motive for a bad review. I do not. I always try to post it as I see it - and I am pretty much a relaxed traveler - not too picky but still with standards.

Believe me - our driver knew the staff/family also. The larger tour companies all know them since they take so many tourists there. He actually came in to see what was taking us so long and we told him we were still waiting on our main course……. he immediately went to the kitchen - things sped up a bit after that but then it was just a rushed not-so-great experience.

I would imagine we would have had a much better experience had the restaurant not been a total zoo that day. But it was - and is most days there are cruise ships in port anywhere nearby. I just think it has become more of a tourist destination than a "get a real Italian experience" destination.

I agree the views are spectacular. But it took so long to get and eat our food that we didn't really have much time to take photos ! Again, we were back by the wall and didn't have those views while seated.

If we were staying in the area (not on a day visit) I could see having a nice LONG meal there ……. but for us - we would rather have more time to enjoy the villages, the drive and other things. It just took too long and became stressful.

Again, just my experience. Others have had very different one.

Thank you so much for your review on seeamalficoast.com. My husband & I just booked thru them yesterday & we requested Carmine! We are doing Tour 3 which includes Ravello, Amalfi , Positano & then for ( 40 euros hr), we added on an hour stop at Sorrento for some shopping. I understand shopping is a lot cheaper in Sorrento?? This is our first time EVER to Europe ( Italy- Western Mediterranian) . Can you tell me more about the restaurant, LaTagliata??? Is it all u can eat & what is the cost? From Naples port, how far is it to the first stop? Did you stop at any beaches? All info is greatly appreciated.. Thank you

Robert & Debr

The shopping in Sorrento is not cheap but it is for sure less expensive then along the Amalfi Coast! I don't know how long will be your time in Naples, but if you decide to visit Sorrento too you need to optimize you time along the Amalfi Coast in order to be back to the ship on time for the departure. Usually the best way is to set 3 stops of 1 hour each, but if you plan everything in advance you could be able to catch time for a quite lunch and a fast look in Sorrento!

• 1 month later...

When we were there last year we used cant be missed tours. The we prompt, nice, spoke English and took care of everything. We did not have to worry about anything and had a fantastic time. We had 3 and the tour had about 20 people. We had out own bus. They arranged lunch in Sorrento. I wish they had more cities but they are limited to rome and naples. I am not connected or related to them, so this is a real recommendation.

• 1 month later...

We had planned on doing Mt Vesuvius and Pompeii on our own, but while on the train back from Rome a man walked through handling out leaflets for Cant Be missed tours. After hubby looked at it decided we would get to see so much more than going on our own.

We stopped at Positano, Sorrento for shopping or eating on our own for 2 hours, rode along Almalfi coast, and did Pompeii.

For 65e a person we thought that was pretty good compared to some of the prices I had seen with other providers and as I was paying for 5 really made a difference!

We were really happy with our experience with them.

On the royal Caribbean forum I have a review of our trip in Sept with pictures if you are interested "our families viewpoint of our Med cruise"