So how soon will US cruiselines be allowed to dock in Cuba?

sej67

It’ll be years before cruise ships start going there. Most of the cruise companies are already releasing their 2016 / 2017 deployments. Not saying they wouldn’t change one of them to include Cuba should the tourist restrictions be lifted but I don’t think they’re going to. It takes time. While POTUS might think it’s a great idea, he still has to get it past a Republican led Congress and there’s already hell being raised by Rubio and a few other Cuban-Americans who are in US Congress. Time will tell but don’t hail it as a vacation destination any time soon.

Only Congress can overturn the law barring widespread commerce with Cuba, and there's almost no chance that will happen anytime soon.

In order to travel to Cuba, you have to enter through a gateway, or a third country, I believe that Cancun, Mexico is the most popular as a US Citizen doesn't have to pre-clear US Customs.

I think Mr. Obama is trying to "normalize" relations with Cuba, but he can't reverse the law (Helms-Burton Act).

To read about Cuba's abuse of gays, read Armando Valladares book, Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag. Also watch the movie Before Night Falls which also depitcs the human rights abuses of gays by the Cuban government.

I don't see the organizers of gay cruises giving their business to the Cuban government. It's hard enough to get gays off the ship in places like Jamaica...I can't imagine these people would want to go anywhere near Cuba.

Related but slightly off-topic: I wonder what would happen if an all-gay cruise announced it was going there? Would it be allowed? What’s Cuba’s take on the GLBT population there?

Brand G has a small all gay cruise going there next February. It was announced long before the latest developments.

I've heard Cuba has improved a lot over the past 20-30 years with regard to gay rights. Remember, the US wasn't (and in some case still isn't) all that gay-friendly in many respects 30+ years ago.

In todays NY Times there is an interesting article referencing Fidel Castro's niece & her involvement in Gay rights causes in Cuba.....amazing to read a bout her backers(other gov'ts) and the start of the Gay Pride parade in Cuba including Drag Queens.

• 2 weeks later...
To read about Cuba's abuse of gays, read Armando Valladares book, Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag. Also watch the movie Before Night Falls which also depitcs the human rights abuses of gays by the Cuban government.

Before Night Falls-based on the memoir of Reinaldo Arenas.

• 3 weeks later...

There is and has been a 7 day cruise to Cuba for two years now, set up between the Greek line of Louis Cristal and Canada's YourCubaCruse. The ship capacity is 1,200 passengers but it has been sailing prior to the recent lifting of restrictions at half capacity at best. It travels around the island stopping at four Cuban ports plus Montego Bay. One can board in Havana on Mondays or MoBay on Fridays and fares are all in Canadian dollars. We completed a back-to-back last season then decided to travel with the line, pre-charter, from Athens to Havana (25 days) arriving just before Christmas. So back we go again in late February for another b2b because it's a great deal and a great way to escape our winters.