Lisbon Transport Qustion

We will be stopping at Lisbon in June and I assume it will be at the port half way between belam and Lisbon.

Can we purchase a ticket that is valid for the train to belam and back to Lisbon that also covers the metro and trams? We would prefer a day ticket if possible rather than buying individual tickets.

Can the tickets be purchased at the port? or at the train station or elsewhere

thanks

When we visited Lisbon in July, we docked at the location you are speaking of, almost below the bridge named "Ponte 25 de Abril". The closest train station is Alcantara-Mar and the station had no one working there until 9:30 am. The is an automated ticket machine there in the underpass that accepts credit cards. You can only purchase train tickets here, no day tickets. You must enter the underpass by taking the underpass entrance a few hundred feet outside of the terminal building you must enter and exit from when you get off the ship, just stay to the right on the sidewalk. Once you get to the Cais Sodre Train/Metro station, the automated machines where the day tickets are available are downstairs at the Metro entrance, not upstairs. There is also a small building outside called a "kiosk" is is an octagonal shaped, very tiny stall actually, where this ticket agent can sell you the all day ticket good for the buses, trams, and metro. It is where all the buses are.

There were no tourism agents of any sort to assist at this port, although we left the ship at 7am so maybe they showed up later. There were a couple of taxis in the vicinity if you prefer to grab one. I hope this helps...Good Luck!

Edited by BrenGina

If you want to know where your ship will dock in Lisbon, check the port site (http://www.portodelisboa.pt), although I'm not sure if they've posted cruise arrivals this early in the year.

We docked at Santa Apolonia, and there was a metro station with automated machines close to the port terminal. I picked up a day pass there. I think each metro station has machines you can use to purchase this pass. I also noticed that there was a machine at the tourist information center in Rossio Square.

Taxis in Lisbon and quite reasonable. If we're not walking, we're in a taxi when we visit there. You can buy a day pass at some metro stations, but the taxi is so much more convenient. And with the Euro so low these days, it's even more reasonable.

By the way, here is a great map of Lisbon showing the cruise docks.

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/PORTO_LISBOA/PORT_FACILITIES/CRUISE_LINER_TERMINALS/ALCANTARA_CRUISE_LINER_TERMINAL/Localiza%E7%E3o%20do%20Terminal%20de%20Cruzeiros%20de%20Alc%E2ntara.jpg

Edited by Steirisch

If you are docking at Alcantara, there is a news stand after you exit the underpass. The newsstand is located at the southwest corner of Ave. 24 de Juhlo. You can purchase a day ticket at this newsstand. Across the street from the newsstand is the stop for the 15E tram.You can take the tram west to Belem or east to Praca do Comercio.

Edited by dogs4fun

• 4 weeks later...
We will be stopping at Lisbon in June and I assume it will be at the port half way between belam and Lisbon.

Belém is IN the city of Lisbon. It's just another part of the city.

Can we purchase a ticket that is valid for the train to belam and back to Lisbon that also covers the metro and trams?

Each transport trip within the city of Lisbon costs the same depending only on the type of transport, since all have their own price. Belém's train station is just another train station in Lisbon, like Cais do Sodré or Santa Apolónia.

Within the city of Lisbon, all trains, and the metro buses and trams are valid for the Lisbon card (0,5€), not one ticket.

The tickets are purchased individually everytime you use one transport, that is, you buy a card that serves for all transports and you load some money into it (Zapping intermodal option), and everytime you use one individual transport the card automatically discounts the ticket's journey (you can use the bus for one full hour with one trip).

You can also buy one daily ticket for the bus/metro(6€). But not for the train. That is because Metro/Bus and Tram is the same company, the train is another one.

Can the tickets be purchased at the port? or at the train station or elsewhere

thanks

Yes, each train station has their own selling point. You can also purchase at ATM's or automatic machines.

If you have any other question...

Edited by Dom Peres

I don't know where you'll dock, but just keep in mind that the trains (regular CP ones, not the metro "trains") don't make a lot of stops along the riverfront (Alcantara, Santa Apolonia, etc.) and so if you don't know where you'll end up (even after looking at port site, and map), you may be confused by how to get to Belem and back. Often, you'll dock somewhere where a tram, bus or metro station is more convenient, particularly if you want to visit more than Belem (and you SHOULD!!). Yes, the train goes to Belem, but so do trams and some buses, so keep all options in mind. We docked at Santa Apolonia (close to Alfama) and used a ticket for the metro, trams, buses (but not trains, as Dom Peres explained). It got us where we wanted to go pretty well, with some walking, of course. The trams can be crowded, but several are geared towards tourists, which is a bit helpful.

I would find out where you're scheduled to dock (and it is not always the same for each cruise line or ship) and go from there.

Yes, the cabs aren't too expensive, but of course, as in many cities, there have been reports of cab drivers overcharging, especially around the ports.

I don't know where you'll dock, but just keep in mind that the trains (regular CP ones, not the metro "trains") don't make a lot of stops along the riverfront (Alcantara, Santa Apolonia, etc.) and so if you don't know where you'll end up (even after looking at port site, and map), you may be confused by how to get to Belem and back. Often, you'll dock somewhere where a tram, bus or metro station is more convenient, particularly if you want to visit more than Belem (and you SHOULD!!). Yes, the train goes to Belem, but so do trams and some buses, so keep all options in mind. We docked at Santa Apolonia (close to Alfama) and used a ticket for the metro, trams, buses (but not trains, as Dom Peres explained). It got us where we wanted to go pretty well, with some walking, of course. The trams can be crowded, but several are geared towards tourists, which is a bit helpful.

I would find out where you're scheduled to dock (and it is not always the same for each cruise line or ship) and go from there.

Yes, the cabs aren't too expensive, but of course, as in many cities, there have been reports of cab drivers overcharging, especially around the ports.

in Lisbon, Belém is mandatory :D

eat some "pastéis de belém" near starbucks

• 2 years later...
If you are docking at Alcantara, there is a news stand after you exit the underpass. The newsstand is located at the southwest corner of Ave. 24 de Juhlo. You can purchase a day ticket at this newsstand. Across the street from the newsstand is the stop for the 15E tram.You can take the tram west to Belem or east to Praca do Comercio.

Hi dogs4fun, we did this a few years back and it worked well, the only problem was the newsagent only spoke Portuguese so we struggle to get him to understand that we wanted a day ticket, but a passer-by helped out and we got our day ticket and headed to Belem with no problems, that was the start of a really lovely day in Lisbon.

Wondered if you could help out again, we are going back to Lisbon by ship in August and are hoping to get to the St George Castle this time and then work our way back down into the town. Have you any idea if you can catch a bus/tram from nearby newsstand that goes direct to the castle-if so what number bus/tram, if not any ideas best and easiest way to get to the castle please?

Hi dogs4fun, we did this a few years back and it worked well, the only problem was the newsagent only spoke Portuguese so we struggle to get him to understand that we wanted a day ticket, but a passer-by helped out and we got our day ticket and headed to Belem with no problems, that was the start of a really lovely day in Lisbon.

Wondered if you could help out again, we are going back to Lisbon by ship in August and are hoping to get to the St George Castle this time and then work our way back down into the town. Have you any idea if you can catch a bus/tram from nearby newsstand that goes direct to the castle-if so what number bus/tram, if not any ideas best and easiest way to get to the castle please?

I'm not dogs4fun, but saw this and decided to post in case others don't see it/respond. (It's an old thread.) If I remember correctly, one of the trams goes up to the Alfama section, near or at where the castle is locate (St. Jorge or whatever it is in Portuguese). Carris.pt is the public transportation site you could try for more information. I'm thinking the tram is the one that goes all over the place and can be crowded - possibly the 15? However, check to make sure. Also, as someone posted before, ship assignments aren't always the same from cruise to cruise, so you might want to determine where you'll be docking or embarking before you look at any maps on the Carris site.

Also, I don't know if there's a subway station near where you'll dock, as we docked at Santa Apolonia, different from Alcantara. However, if there is, I believe they have machines (with English) that sell day passes for the trams/buses.

I would have to spend more time on the Carris site, but based on the Carris route diagrams, perhaps you can take the 12E tram, or possibly the 28E tram, to Castelo Sao Jorge or a bus (believe it was 767), but you may have to transfer to one of these from another form of transport if you'll be at Alcantara. You could try the Carris "Route Simulator" function and put in something like "Doca de Alcantara Lisboa" as the "From" location and "Castelo Sao Jorge Lisboa" as the "To" location to get ideas. However, I did that, and the results weren't what I expected (gave me instructions to walk, pick up a bus, walk some more). I'm thinking the 28E tram will get you close, but since I don't know exactly where the castelo is located, I would need to research more. Once you dock, if you could find a tourist info center or rail station, someone may be able to give you better information. We docked at Sta Apolonia, and there was a man there who was helping tourists figure out how to get where they wanted to go. Of course, if things are too complicated, maybe a taxi is best.

I returned books to the library today (yes, some of us use libraries instead of downloading books) and made a pass-through of the travel section. I didn't find much on Alaska but did remember your question about Lisbon and decided to take a look. If you haven't looked at it, Rick Steves has a book on Lisbon, and it has a suggested walk around Alfama which starts at the castle.

I'm not sure how you'd get to Praca da Figuerira from wherever you dock, but Steves says from there you can get to the castle gate by taxi - about 6 euros in 2017, although his starting point is unclear - although later he says beware dishonest cab drivers at the port - try for Uber instead. You can also take mini-bus 737 from the Praca. Also you can take 2 free funiculars/elevators [my opinion - do one of those while in Lisbon - fun!] and then he gives instructions for how to find/use those. He says you can also take tram 28E or 12E, but you'll then have a steep hike of a couple blocks uphill to the castle, at least from one of the trams.

He says from Alcantara port location, to use nearby transportation, hop on trolley (tram) 15E (use pedestrian underpass to reach stop) or bus 728, both of which go to Belem in one direction, and not-specified place in center city Lisbon in the other direction!

Hope that helps.