Book air thru Princess upgrade thru airline

MacBraces

Wondered if anyone has booked economy thru Princess and then

upgrade to premium economy direct thru airlines?

Prices for econ vs. prem econ is double going thru Princess.

Just trying to get the premium econ as cheap as possible. :o Yes,

I admit it, I want better for cheapest.

Anyone have real experience with this??

Mac

Where are you wanting to go? You are not going to get Premium Econ on domestic flights in the US. Assuming you are going to Europe, Asia or Down under (and planning on using an airline that has a Premium Econ cabin) what was the price of buying a premium econ ticket direct from the airline compared to the cruise air? What were you planning on using to upgrade with? You have way to many questions unanswered before anybody can even begin to help you. No to mention the many threads about the pos/neg of buying tickets via cruise line vs direct from the airline.

Wondered if anyone has booked economy thru Princess and then upgrade to premium economy direct thru airlines?

This may be a "non-starter". The cruise lines usually purchased tickets in advance and in bulk from the airline. These are the "specially negotiated fares" they tout. Airlines sell off bulk inventory at a discount to stop any further marketing, sales, and admin expenses....the fare restrictions are there to ensure this, and to make you the cruise line's customer and *not* the airline's. If you read the airline's upgrade rules (which vary), in many cases only published fares can be upgraded and the lowest published fare tiers are ineligible. In addition the "fare rules" governing the bulk ticket from the cruise line will often state "not upgradeable".

The other glitch is the cruise line doesn't issue tickets until closer to your travel date. Despite a paid reservation through Princess it's all subject to change by the time of ticketing....and you don't know the fare rules and aren't sure of the flights, routing, or even airline until that happens. If the airline allows an upgrade purchase based on the reservation only, should the actual ticket render the upgrade unusable you may receive a credit for future travel and not a refund. There's a current thread with this very issue, though it concerns a seat upgrade and not a class upgrade.

Hope this helps understand the calculated risk if the airline accepts an upgrade payment in advance of Princess providing actual ticket numbers. Good that you're asking *pre*purchase.

Edited by kenish

This may be a "non-starter". The cruise lines usually purchased tickets in advance and in bulk from the airline. These are the "specially negotiated fares" they tout. Airlines sell off bulk inventory at a discount to stop any further marketing, sales, and admin expenses....the fare restrictions are there to ensure this, and to make you the cruise line's customer and *not* the airline's. If you read the airline's upgrade rules (which vary), in many cases only published fares can be upgraded and the lowest published fare tiers are ineligible. In addition the "fare rules" governing the bulk ticket from the cruise line will often state "not upgradeable".

The other glitch is the cruise line doesn't issue tickets until closer to your travel date. Despite a paid reservation through Princess it's all subject to change by the time of ticketing....and you don't know the fare rules and aren't sure of the flights, routing, or even airline until that happens. If the airline allows an upgrade purchase based on the reservation only, should the actual ticket render the upgrade unusable you may receive a credit for future travel and not a refund. There's a current thread with this very issue, though it concerns a seat upgrade and not a class upgrade.

Hope this helps understand the calculated risk if the airline accepts an upgrade payment in advance of Princess providing actual ticket numbers. Good that you're asking *pre*purchase.

For what it's worth, a couple years ago I bought a domestic ticket via Priceline's "Name your own Price" program. To my surprise and delight, I was offered the opportunity to upgrade to First Class when I checked in on line 24 hours prior. I realize this is different than trying to upgrade a highly restrictive ticket in advance before the check-in process kicks in, but I was still surprised given that this type of Priceline ticket was very highly restrictive.

Thanks for the reply's everyone, I just was hoping

to out smart the system and get a bargain.

Should know better..

I'll stick to the normal, safe way and go directly with airlines.

That way hopefully can also get seats reserved when we make

the reservations.