Best place to go snorkeling

Nuchi15697

Roatan.... the reefs and therefore the fish are very close to shore. You can shore snorkel anywhere away from a sandy beach or take the catamaran boat tour. Lots of easy snorkeling.

Belize.... boats take you out around some of the tiny islands off the coast. Great easy snorkeling and lots of fish, coral, shallow.

Cozumel... not the best snorkeling as the coral reefs are farther out. You need a boat tour to see lots of fish and coral. There is some shore snorkeling (Chankanaab park, Money bar, etc) but it is coral rubble, not as many fish.

Costa Maya.... never been there, so can't tell you.

If I wanted to do excusions to snorkel.... MY choices would be the Catamaran snorkel at Roatan, and one of the tours to snorkel in Belize. Use Cozumel and Costa Maya for other activities.

The short answer is... it all depends on the conditions. ;)

If you have to pick one port today, I'd say pick Roatan. From Coxen Hole, West Bay Beach is easy to get to and has fantastic snorkeling right at the beach. It's a little harder to get to from Mahogany Bay, but I'd still rather go to WBB. We use Bananarama, but there are quite a few options, including simply taking a cab to the public beach and renting gear from any vendor there. Once again though... it all depends on the weather. If the surf is up on that side of the island, you'd be better off somewhere like Little French or Maya Key. :cool:

In Belize, snorkeling is a chore to get to from the ship... unless you take the ship's tour. Either way, you snorkel along an offshore reef and its very weather dependent. Conditions can get quite rough and people have died there, more than once, while snorkeling in "acceptable" conditions. I wouldn't call it "easy snorkeling", but they do have a nice reef... just a boat ride away from the outlying islands. :rolleyes:

Snorkeling in Coz can be worthwhile. It's cheap and easy from the Money Bar, and both it and Chankanaab have comparable shore snorkeling. I've seen some nice-sized coral heads at both places... but, once again, it all depends on the conditions. The coral is found scattered along the shore in patches, and the bigger stuff tends to be in deeper water, so without good visibility you won't see much.

• 2 weeks later...

In Cozumel I highly recommend Cozumel H20. You can do a google search and find their website. It's a small group of maybe 8 people max. They take you to 4 different locations. These locations are not where the typical cruise tour will take you. The tour guides are awesome and will accommodate any skill level. I just booked my second tour with them.

There really isn't any good snorkeling in Costa Maya. The beaches have a lot of sea grass. One is exception is Almaplena Eco Resort. You can purchase an all-inclusive beach day. The resort is beautiful and they only allow 20 cruise passengers max. The water can be choppy, and if so the snorkeling is not so good. But the beach at this resort and the service they provide is awesome. Highly recommend.

Belize does have good snorkeling but like someone else has said, it can be a chore to get to unless you take the ship excursion that will pick you up right at the ship rather than having to tender into port and catch the tour to head back out.

Roatan has excellent snorkeling. I recommend Tabayana Beach.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

1st cruise; RC; hope to snorkel for the 1st time.

Plan on Mayan Ruins tour, then day at Playa Palancar. Looking at reviews but confused; does anyone know - do we need to reserve a snorkel tour or can we do that right at the beach whenever we arrive, since we are not sure how long we will be at ruins?

Belize is truly amazing and snorkeling over there is really like being in paradise. I remember being there on a vacation years ago (not by cruise) but it was truly amazing. We spent several days at several locations and I must say that almost every single location we have been snorkeling at were all just as amazing as the other ones.

1st cruise; RC; hope to snorkel for the 1st time.

Plan on Mayan Ruins tour, then day at Playa Palancar. Looking at reviews but confused; does anyone know - do we need to reserve a snorkel tour or can we do that right at the beach whenever we arrive, since we are not sure how long we will be at ruins?

When we have been to Playa Palancar, you sign up for the snorkel tour at the dive hut once you get to the beach.

Belize is truly amazing and snorkeling over there is really like being in paradise. I remember being there on a vacation years ago (not by cruise) but it was truly amazing. We spent several days at several locations and I must say that almost every single location we have been snorkeling at were all just as amazing as the other ones.

So true in Belize! Going out to the Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) and snorkeling is awesome!

If you love to snorkel, don't miss this doing this in Belize! :) .. :)

So true in Belize! Going out to the Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) and snorkeling is awesome!

If you love to snorkel, don't miss this doing this in Belize! :) .. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've snorkeled all four ports, all more than once.

1. Hands down, clearest water and most fish is West Bay on Roatan. The best snorkeling is on the back side of the coral but it can be a bit tricky getting behind it so if you really want the easy way to get there, you will find some fellas in kayaks willing to work for tips. They will tow you out there and wait for you and tow you back. If you're not a strong swimmer, you still could snorkel from the beach (without the kayak help) and have some great waters and fish.

2. Belize. It's a boat trip, and I've always been picked up and dropped off back at the ship when booking an excursion through the cruise line. Otherwise you will have to pick up a tour on shore (it's a tender port). Depending on the weather and the waves, it can be a rough swim. Lots of fish, though.

3. Cozumel. I've only gone from the Money Bar. But I've also taken a ferry over to Playa del Carmen and did some snorkeling with the turtles at Akumal Bay. I've also snorkeled the Dos Ojos Cenotes (underground caves) at Tulum. Snorkeling with stalactites and stalagmites and bats. A unique experience.

4. Costa Maya. I've snorkeled from the Almaplena Beach Resort. Snorkeling is a ways off the shore and really depends on the weather. Seagrass gets churned up after the storms and makes snorkeling not so great. Costa Maya is a bit diving port, not so much snorkeling-wise.

Edited by idahospud

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just returned yesterday from a Royal Caribbean cruise that included Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel.

For Roatan, we did the "Tabyana Beach Snorkel and Lunch" excursion. I have to think it is the same excursion that NCL uses; the buses are apparently ones owned by Tabyana, and both Carnival and RCL were at this beach the day we were there. After arriving at the beach via provided buses (which were air-conditioned!), the plan of the day and the layout of the place were explained. Those of us with the snorkel package (designated by a wristband of a color different from those without the snorkel package) were sent over to the "dive shop" where we had an explanation of how the snorkeling worked. Then one handed over a cruise card (one per family/group) which was held until you returned the equipment. We had brought our own masks and snorkels, so needed only the fins and life vest - no problem; you get as much equipment as you need. We then went down to the water to select our loungers (in shade or sun) and met the security person who would be watching our stuff while we played. Once we had gotten our things settled, we were directed to a group on the beach who were being given instruction. It is mandatory that your first outing be with a guide. We were split into smaller groups (5 in ours) and the guide takes you out. He points out stinging coral and interesting aquatic life, shows you where the dropoffs are, helps with problems, and is willing to accompany you later in the day for another outing. (Of course, a tip is expected for his services.) The variety and quantity of fish we saw was AMAZING. Be sure to take an underwater camera (with float)! Lunch was served buffet-style (they serve you, though) and there is free iced tea and lemonade available all day. The buses back to the ship run every half-hour or so. Our only complaints were: no clocks, and too many tipping possibilities. The sales people on the beach were not a problem for us, but some have complained of them. Note: wear your swimsuit off the ship; we didn't find changing rooms and the restrooms are small.

Just returned yesterday from a Royal Caribbean cruise that included Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel.

For Roatan, we did the "Tabyana Beach Snorkel and Lunch" excursion. I have to think it is the same excursion that NCL uses;

Those of us with the snorkel package (designated by a wristband of a color different from those without the snorkel package) were sent over to the "dive shop" where we had an explanation of how the snorkeling worked. Then one handed over a cruise card (one per family/group) which was held until you returned the equipment. We had brought our own masks and snorkels, so needed only the fins and life vest - no problem; you get as much equipment as you need.

Great thank your for your review. Answered all my questions. We have booked the NCL Tabyana Beach Snorkel and are really looking forward to it. Have read lots of great reviews about this beach area.