Belize City or Harvest Caye

RKel32

Apologies if this is a widely discussed topic. I've seen a lot of negative (and some positive) things discussed about Harvest Caye. However, I've also seen some negative things posted about Belize City. We're looking at two itineraries and the only difference in ports is Belize City vs. Harvest Caye. Can you tell me which you prefer and why? We are an early 30's couple with no kids and like doing active things at most ports but also can deal with a day in port just shopping or relaxing if that's the best option.

Thanks in advance!

Harvest Caye is a much nicer and man-made port. Very safe and they offer a lot. I would definitely prefer Harvest Caye over Belize City. I have ventured all around Belize City and always enjoyed my time there but most people are turned off by the very poor area and they feel unsafe there. With that said, Shark Ray Alley and Island excursion is amazing. It takes you to Caye Caulker island and also get to snorkel the great Hol Chan Reserve and Coral Gardens. Amazing time!

If Harvest Caye doesn't offer that excursion or a Barrier reef snorkeling excursion, then go with Belize City.

With all of that said, we always enjoyed our time in Belize City and at the port area. It is how you make it.

Edited by BrotherCraig

most people are turned off by the very poor area and they feel unsafe there.

Is it safe to say that getting the most of your time out of Belize City would require an excursion? If the snorkeling is as good as I've been reading, I'd hate to miss it just to go to a touristy island with little character, but I know that the onboard excursions can feel overly touristy, be overly crowded, and overpriced as well.

Is it safe to say that getting the most of your time out of Belize City would require an excursion? If the snorkeling is as good as I've been reading, I'd hate to miss it just to go to a touristy island with little character, but I know that the onboard excursions can feel overly touristy, be overly crowded, and overpriced as well.

(edited my initial post above)

Belize City is definitely a excursion port. Not a place to really wander around except for the port (inside the gates) itself... would get boring after a couple of hours. The Shark Ray Alley excursion never feels overcrowded. Well worth it. The only drawback is that it only gives you a couple hours of Caye Caulker but the whole excursion is amazing. We actually stayed on Caye Caulker for a week because we loved it so much.

Coral Breeze Tours also offers this excursion.

Belize is such a wonderful country with a rich Mayan history. It also has amazing lush jungle, mayan pyramids and ruins, tiny islands with incredible beaches. Get out, do an excursion or visit a beach, snorkel or something. Just don't sit on the ship.

Edited by ABQrobin

According to reviews, harvest Caye is either stay on the caye or take an excursion. Not sure if NCL is offering too many excursions to mainland. No private vendors and no general access from the caye to the mainland. Only via ship excursions. HC is further away from ruins and cave tubing than Belize City and Caye Caulker or San Pedro are inaccessible from there. Palcencia should be close enough but you can't get there on your own.

We've been to Belize City and did a cave tubing tour there, which was great.

We were at Harvest Caye in December. While it is brand new and very nice, it's also just a kind of generic private island experience, with limited excursions and no chance to do private tours, our usual choice.

I personally would rather go to the mainland and either go to the Mayan Ruins or snorkel the reef; I would not feel comfortable spending time on our own in Belize City, but there are many great tours to take.

Thanks for the responses. We ultimately decided on the itinerary that included Harvest Caye due to some other scheduling factors. Really hoping to make it back to Belize on another trip, as the snorkeling there sounds right up our alley. We'll make the best of Harvest Caye!

• 2 months later...
We've been to Belize City and did a cave tubing tour there, which was great.

We were at Harvest Caye in December. While it is brand new and very nice, it's also just a kind of generic private island experience, with limited excursions and no chance to do private tours, our usual choice.

I personally would rather go to the mainland and either go to the Mayan Ruins or snorkel the reef; I would not feel comfortable spending time on our own in Belize City, but there are many great tours to take.

Hello, did you go to the mainland from Harvest Caye in December? I'm going in August and dont see how to book a tender and some of the higher rated tubing companies have disclaimers stating they dont service NCL passengers....I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. :)

Hello, did you go to the mainland from Harvest Caye in December? I'm going in August and dont see how to book a tender and some of the higher rated tubing companies have disclaimers stating they dont service NCL passengers....I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. :)

As far as I know, it's just not possible or realistic to get to the mainland from Harvest Caye. NCL does have one excursion that goes to ruins which I assume is on the mainland though--but not to Belize City where the tubing companies start out from.

It was an ok day there, just not what we wanted. Harvest Caye is a long way from the mainland.

Cave tubing is not possible from Harvest Caye.

If you want to experience cave tubing you have to take a cruise that stops in Belize City.

Also, the Maya temple sites in southern Belize are not as impressive as the ones in central/northern Belize: Lamanai, Altun Ha, Xunantunich.

There are No independent excursions available from Harvest Caye.

The only way to get to the mainland from Harvest Caye is to book a ship excursion.

No competition from independent operators means you'll pay too much for excursions.

• 4 months later...
I was interested in the excursion I attached to this message (Belize cave tubing) but Norwegian stops at Harvest Cay. Is there anyway to get to Belize City for this excursion from harvest Cay and if so is it worth the effort?

As far as I know this is not feasible/possible. We really enjoyed our cave tubing but Harvest Caye is too far from Belize City and when we were there no private excursions were available; this was last December. I think there was one NCL excursion to the ruins on the mainland.

While Harvest Caye is beautiful, it's kind of just a beach stop with no chance to see the real country.

You are able to escape the manufactured island of Harvest Caye by taking a ferry over to Placencia... It costs $20 round trip, and can be booked at shore excursions on board.

That's what I was afraid of, I really didn't want the tourist town, but oh well I guess we will take what we can get. Thanks for responding

• 1 month later...