Ferry from Seattle to Vancouver

Hello we are taking the Alaska cruise in April 2017, and are considering visiting Seattle. Has anyone ever used a ferry from Vancouver to Seattle.

thank you, John

There are no direct ferries from Vancouver to Seattle. There is a ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island. Then you have an option of a ferry from the island to Anacortes Washington . The other options is Victoria (Vancouver Island) to Seattle on a high speed passenger only ferry.The third possibility is the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles and then a bus to Bremerton and another ferry to Seattle.

Otherwise no simple ferry ride from Vancouver to Seattle.

There's possibly going to be a slightly more efficient ferry operating by your visit - both Clipper (the folks running the Seattle-Victoria route) and another company plan to offer downtown Vancouver-downtown Victoria routes. Initial claims were for this summer, but I haven't heard any progress since springtime when ships needed extensive refurbishment that was delaying the launch.

Even with those in place though, if you want to see Seattle the most efficient way is by land or air, depending on budget. The train is very pleasant (and cheap at $32pp Saver); buses cost the same or less for Bolt/Greyhound, while QuickShuttle adds the convenience of a pier pickup and airport dropoff while jacking the price up to $50-60 depending where you want dropped off.

A one-way car rental is often the cheapest solution, especially for small groups - in advance hefty drop fees are common, but as the date approaches those start to disappear with total rates of US$70 or less being frequently reported. Total flexibility in routing then too.

Flying is obviously the fastest way, but the most expensive as always per person pricing and various government fees ensure that you cannot find a ticket as cheap as bus or train even if the airlines are not making any profit.

Unless you also plan to spend a lot of time up here though, don't forget the most important factor about time in Seattle - every day down there is a day lost up here! Not that Seattle isn't worth visiting, it's just not as nice as Vancouver;-)

Unless you also plan to spend a lot of time up here though, don't forget the most important factor about time in Seattle - every day down there is a day lost up here! Not that Seattle isn't worth visiting, it's just not as nice as Vancouver;-)

I agree. There are tons of things to do in Vancouver and seen more easily. Seattle is okay but it can't top Vancouver.

Hmm... the Prince of Whales offers a variation over water from Vancouver to Seattle...

http://princeofwhales.com/tours_van/vancouver-to-seattle/

I agree.... Vancouver offers lots to do....

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]0JpSCQUe9_k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

The tour from Vancouver to Victoria doesn't have room for luggage.

If you mean the 'whale-watching tour + clipper' that xlxo mentioned above, they actually do take luggage - the new vessel used on that tour is a larger catamaran, the Salish Sea Dream, so they allow up to a 50lb suitcase plus a carryon per person for no charge. Details on their FAQ. Certainly not a cheap way to do it, but luggage no longer prevents folks booking transfers to Victoria with PoW.

If you mean the 'whale-watching tour + clipper' that xlxo mentioned above, they actually do take luggage - the new vessel used on that tour is a larger catamaran, the Salish Sea Dream, so they allow up to a 50lb suitcase plus a carryon per person for no charge. Details on their FAQ. Certainly not a cheap way to do it, but luggage no longer prevents folks booking transfers to Victoria with PoW.
It's certainly the longest way to do it.

Convoluted but possible...

Tsawassen (Vancouver) to Swartz Bay on Vancouver IS. (near Victoria). Then two options:

1. Cab to Victoria and take Victoria Clipper to downtown Seattle.

2. Cab a few miles to Sydney and take Washington State Ferry to Friday Harbor on San Juan Is. and Victoria Clipper to Seattle from there.

Linking up the schedules either way might make for some long waits for connection. Possible - yes. Practical - maybe not.

WSF-Sydney Sched

Victoria Clipper Sched

BC Ferries (from Tsawassen) Sched

EDIT- Saw other post in West Coast Departures - just reverse the above. I'll post in correct order over there.

Edited by Sequim88

• 4 weeks later...

A one-way car rental is often the cheapest solution, especially for small groups - in advance hefty drop fees are common, but as the date approaches those start to disappear with total rates of US$70 or less being frequently reported. Total flexibility in routing then too.

Good info, thanks. We will be flying into Seattle and our cruise departs from Vancouver. My initial thought was to rent a car in Seattle and drop off in Vancouver. When I tried to book the rental, I wasn't able to. Do you know of rental agencies that allow this?

Thanks!

Good info, thanks. We will be flying into Seattle and our cruise departs from Vancouver. My initial thought was to rent a car in Seattle and drop off in Vancouver. When I tried to book the rental, I wasn't able to. Do you know of rental agencies that allow this?

Thanks!

Try Enterprise. I just tried a sample booking from SEA to YVR and it brought up all sorts of cars and rates. I picked a car and went all the way through the booking - I cancelled after I completed it.

Thanks!

Try Enterprise. I just tried a sample booking from SEA to YVR and it brought up all sorts of cars and rates. I picked a car and went all the way through the booking - I cancelled after I completed it.

Try Alamo as well . Just did a test booking for June 2017 from Seatac to Vancouver Int'l. Sometimes trying to do a booking to an off airport location doesn't work.

Thanks so much. Enterprise would not accept Vancouver for me but Alamo did.

Originally I was using the Car Rental option on USAA and I couldn't get past the first screen. Looks like I'll have more luck just going to the individual websites and booking that way.

Thanks so much. Enterprise would not accept Vancouver for me but Alamo did.

Originally I was using the Car Rental option on USAA and I couldn't get past the first screen. Looks like I'll have more luck just going to the individual websites and booking that way.

Sometimes sites like USAA or Costco aren't allowed to do cross border rentals due to the agreement they have with rental companies. Downtown Vancouver location might not work but the airport should .

Thanks!

As mentioned already, try all the major agencies (we have downtown Alamo, Enterprise, Thrifty, Dollar, Hertz) and check for both their airport and downtown locations in both cities. This is the kind of circumstance where a site like Kayak is invaluable as you can do it all in one place and see who's offering the best price. They all do one-ways - they just may not at any particular time or via certain restricted deal sites.

The ideal is obviously an airport pickup and a dropoff in whichever part of Vancouver is closest to your hotel - or at the pier if you're driving up same day. But Vancouver is very compact - all downtown offices are within a mile or two at most from the pier, walkable if you drop bags and passengers first. Some offer a shuttle to/from the pier, or $5 credit toward a cab fare. Even airport locations are only approx 30mins away by SkyTrain - if the office is not actually on Sea Island this can actually work to your advantage as there would be no inbound extra fee so only $4 at most to get back downtown.

As mentioned already, try all the major agencies (we have downtown Alamo, Enterprise, Thrifty, Dollar, Hertz) and check for both their airport and downtown locations in both cities. This is the kind of circumstance where a site like Kayak is invaluable as you can do it all in one place and see who's offering the best price. They all do one-ways - they just may not at any particular time or via certain restricted deal sites.

The ideal is obviously an airport pickup and a dropoff in whichever part of Vancouver is closest to your hotel - or at the pier if you're driving up same day. But Vancouver is very compact - all downtown offices are within a mile or two at most from the pier, walkable if you drop bags and passengers first. Some offer a shuttle to/from the pier, or $5 credit toward a cab fare. Even airport locations are only approx 30mins away by SkyTrain - if the office is not actually on Sea Island this can actually work to your advantage as there would be no inbound extra fee so only $4 at most to get back downtown.

Very helpful, thanks. Once I figure out hotel, I'll have a better idea of drop off locations. We are arriving a day early. I'd like to see at least a little bit of Vancouver.

Keep in mind that many hotels in downtown Vancouver charge for parking. Rates are anywhere from $15 to $25 per night. If you want Go to the airport and return the car there. Then take a fixed rate cab to your hotel.

Many downtown locations close around 6PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen downtown parking higher than that. After you check-in.... get rid of the rental car. If you need to move luggage... taxi will be cheaper than parking for the day.

Another option is the airport suburb for free parking. My preference with a rental car...

https://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information