Overnight in Lisbon

We will be overnighting in Lisbon on our way home after cruising the Greek Isles from Venice. We arriving in Lisbon at 3pm and leaving at 1pm the next day. We want to maximize our time there and are wondering what part of the city we should stay in. We were thinking of Belem.

Also, any suggestions as to an itinerary for the afternoon/evening would be greatly appreciated. We'd definitely love to eat an authentic meal while we are there.

Thanks!

We will be overnighting in Lisbon on our way home after cruising the Greek Isles from Venice. We arriving in Lisbon at 3pm and leaving at 1pm the next day. We want to maximize our time there and are wondering what part of the city we should stay in. We were thinking of Belem.

Also, any suggestions as to an itinerary for the afternoon/evening would be greatly appreciated. We'd definitely love to eat an authentic meal while we are there.

Thanks!

Hi Lin

This was my day in Lisbon

[YOUTUBE]z8KoKa6I7y0[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]zxEg6kwlF6Y[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]brr-bT0D7fQ[/YOUTUBE]

I only had just over an hour in Belem, but really liked the look of it, and as it's only about 15 mins by bus or tram from Lisbon centre I would think that was a very good place to stay over in. All the best, Tony

Lisbon it not that big so if you are comfortable using public transit then you can get to Belem pretty much from anywhere. It's about 15-20 min from center by tram#15. This link http://www.booking.com/district/pt/lisbon/belem.html gives some hotel suggestions in Belem area. Atlas is a very nice hotel & close to the monastery but quite pricey (by Lisbon standards anyway). Hotel Jerominos & Royal Garden are also close & cheaper.

Edited by hkto

Tony, that was awesome! :D Thank you for sharing.

What month were you in Lisbon. It looks rather warm.

Thanks Lin (and m sacho) for your kind words. We were in Lisbon on August 15 last year. It was a lovely day, maybe 22C, but I don't recall anywhere on that cruise being scorching hot. I've just seen your itinerary (which is superb) and in case it's of interest, somewhere in my signature link are vids from Venice, Corfu, Santorini, Olympia and Mykonos.

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

Hi,

It was only 22C in Lisbon in August?!? :eek: That's chilly for me... LOL

I did check out some of your other videos. It's great that you do that for each place you visit.

Did you happen to go to the Olympic site?

Thanks Lin (and m sacho) for your kind words. We were in Lisbon on August 15 last year. It was a lovely day, maybe 22C, but I don't recall anywhere on that cruise being scorching hot. I've just seen your itinerary (which is superb) and in case it's of interest, somewhere in my signature link are vids from Venice, Corfu, Santorini, Olympia and Mykonos.

Since you are doing an overnight you might want to consider going to a "Fado" dinner show. Our own personal favorite is a place called Senor Vinho (http://www.srvinho.com/) but there are plenty of other options. If you are not familiar with Fado you can do some online research. But it is an important part of Portuguese musical culture.

Hank

Thanks Lin (and m sacho) for your kind words. We were in Lisbon on August 15 last year. It was a lovely day, maybe 22C, but I don't recall anywhere on that cruise being scorching hot.

You must not have gone to Sevilla. It was 38C the day we were there. Did you visit the Alhambra? It was 39C. We were on the same cruise.

You must not have gone to Sevilla. It was 38C the day we were there. Did you visit the Alhambra? It was 39C. We were on the same cruise.

Thinking back, you're right ! To be honest I never thought I'd be quizzed about this 8 months later :) Maybe Lisbon wasn't killer heat, or there was plenty of shade there but even though I didn't go to Seville, Cadiz was very hot even on the beach. And as I'd been to the Alhambra before we stayed in Motril (worthy candidate for the lousiest port ever ?) and enjoyed the ship, where we fried.

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

Since you are doing an overnight you might want to consider going to a "Fado" dinner show. Our own personal favorite is a place called Senor Vinho (http://www.srvinho.com/) but there are plenty of other options. If you are not familiar with Fado you can do some online research. But it is an important part of Portuguese musical culture.

Hank

a very good suggestion. Fado shows (real ones) start late - so since you have an overnight on the ship you are in an ideal situation to see a genuine one.

• 2 weeks later...

Assume you don't need a hotel, but if so, I found a quirky place if by chance you're into something a bit different. It's called Lisbonaire Apartments, and it's basically an apartment building with rooms decorated by different local artists. It's in the Baixa area, close to Restauradores and Rossio Metro stops, buses, taxi stand and one of the "elevators" of Lisbon. There are lots of restaurants a few blocks away.

Cornishpastyman, you were lucky. I asked if that light show at Augusta Arch was a one-time thing or likely to be continued, and apparently it is no more. I was really hoping we'd see it this summer. (We will also be in Lisbon on August 15. It is the Feast of the Assumption. Sure wish they'd put on a show at the arch - I'm still thinking it's possible. Were you on Oceania? Did you dock at Santa Apolonia, the dock location up near the metro of the same name?)

Heat doesn't bother me much, so I'm prepared for August heat in that part of the world. It will just feel like I'm at home in August!

Edited by roothy123

Thanks Roothy. Actually, we are not going to be in Lisbon on a cruise. We are cruising the Greek isles from Venice and on the way home and flying from Venice to Lisbon for a short visit. Thank you for the hotel suggestion, but we are already booked at the Heritage Av. Liberdade. However, the Lisbonaire Apartments sound really cool.

Assume you don't need a hotel, but if so, I found a quirky place if by chance you're into something a bit different. It's called Lisbonaire Apartments, and it's basically an apartment building with rooms decorated by different local artists. It's in the Baixa area, close to Restauradores and Rossio Metro stops, buses, taxi stand and one of the "elevators" of Lisbon. There are lots of restaurants a few blocks away.

Cornishpastyman, you were lucky. I asked if that light show at Augusta Arch was a one-time thing or likely to be continued, and apparently it is no more. I was really hoping we'd see it this summer. (We will also be in Lisbon on August 15. It is the Feast of the Assumption. Sure wish they'd put on a show at the arch - I'm still thinking it's possible. Were you on Oceania? Did you dock at Santa Apolonia, the dock location up near the metro of the same name?)

Heat doesn't bother me much, so I'm prepared for August heat in that part of the world. It will just feel like I'm at home in August!

No problem; just wanted to get the name of the hotel out there in case you or others are looking for something a little different. I always like the slightly quirky places, and was happy to find this one!

Enjoy that cruise. Venice plus Greek isles sounds fantastic!