Vatican dress code for children

davedex

We are going to Rome in august 14 and whilst I know that we need to have shoulders and knees covered if we are intending to go into the Vatican, what is the situation for children. Our two are 15 and 12 and I did not know of the same rules applied to them. We do not want to have to carry long trousers I the august heat but if we need to I guess we will

Any help greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rules most definitely apply to children. The only exception would be a baby. The weather in August will be ok for long pant, capris or skirts. Jeans and a tshirt will be perfectly comfortable in Rome. It's not like you are going to the Equator. I've been there in summer. Inside the Vatican, Pantheon and Colluseum- it's cool and comfortable.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Here is the sign - shoulders, stomach and knees need to be covered. I have read that men (all regardless of age) need to be in long pants- long shorts won't suffice.

thanks for that, looks like i will become the sherpa for the day and will have to carry some long trousers for the boys!!!

I must be the ogre of the western world; when he was 13, our now 25-year-old wanted to go to Rome. At that point in his life he wore shorts every single day of the year, regardless of the weather. Before I booked the flights we sat down and I told him that he would be wearing long pants and looking respectful or we would stay home.

It wasn't worth the fight over his sartorial choices every morning at home, so he got away with it there. However, when I was paying thousands of dollars to give him this wonderful opportunity to see the world, I decided it was going to be on my terms, or not at all.

The really laughable part, for me, is that the US Navy now tells him what to wear every day. Revenge!

Linen pants would be so much better than jeans in the summer. We climbed st peters dome in September and were quite hot in linen pants. Jeans would have been awful! Zip off pants is a great suggestion too. Check out the Eddie Bauer outlet store or similar for bargains.

Here is the sign - shoulders, stomach and knees need to be covered. I have read that men (all regardless of age) need to be in long pants- long shorts won't suffice.

That is not true. I was there two weeks ago and saw many men admitted wearing shorts.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

That is not true. I was there two weeks ago and saw many men admitted wearing shorts.

It is true that knees, shoulders and stomachs should be covered, and that is most definitely the sign that explains it. The guards may not have been enforcing it the day you were there, but those are the rules. To say otherwise is a disservice to other posters who might rely on your advice and dress improperly on a day (most days) when the guards ARE enforcing the rules.

Agree. We were there last month and I wore shorts BUT they covered my knees completely. I saw many men wearing shorts but again they were the longer version. Our tour guide stated that she always checks the length of the shorts before leaving to insure that they meet the guidelines.

Edited by cruisingator2

Davedex, are you on the NA leaving Aug 4? If so, how old are your kids? Will they be in CLUB HAL? --whoops jus saw you said 12&15. Are the boys? I have a 5&9 yo who will be on the ship.

Yes we are in the NA from Barcelona and have joined / started the roll call for our trip - getting excited now and beginning to think that I may have to buy some zip off trousers for the day unless I can find a pair to borrow!

• 1 month later...

Well we returned from our trip! The queues to get into the Vatican etc were over 2 hrs long but can't be missed tours got our tickets in advance and we jumped all the queues! This was a blessing as it was 38 degrees c!! Once in the Vatican my eldest son unravelled his turn ups on his shorts and we did not have any issues. Once in the Cistine chapel I turned the recording lights off on my go pro and took some pics which came out fine! ( probably get sent straight to hell for breaking the rules) very busy in there but it was mid august!

You definitely see people with shorts covering the knees and kids are likely to get through but don't risk it. Convertible shorts/pants are a breeze. Any kind of light pants other than jeans work great. Jeans are hot...