Grand Turk Whale Watching?

torwa

Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I've searched and can't find anything. We are sailing the Breeze Feb 13, 2016. I'm wondering if anyone has done a Whale Watching tour in Grand Turk at that time of year? I've checked Carnival's excursions and they don't offer one:confused:

Humpbacks can be found offshore of Grand Turk late January to early April with bottlenose and other dolphins sometimes seen close to shore. Whale watching during the winter months is actually quite popular in the Dominican Republic.

The port after GT is La Romana, DR. I didn't see any Whale Watching excursions on Carnival's site for that port either. Of all the ports we are going to, I think La Romana is the one I wouldn't want to stray from a Carnival excursion. I've read too many bad things about that port.

The port after GT is La Romana, DR. I didn't see any Whale Watching excursions on Carnival's site for that port either. Of all the ports we are going to, I think La Romana is the one I wouldn't want to stray from a Carnival excursion. I've read too many bad things about that port.

And that is a very wise decision. You know it's bad when even the locals tell you to not book a shore excursion outside a Carnival sponsored excursion. Unfortunately, if you want a whale watching excursion, I am afraid you will have to take an Alaskan cruise. I don't think the Caribbean cruises offer them. You may be lucky to see some whales when you are coming into or leaving port.

And that is a very wise decision. You know it's bad when even the locals tell you to not book a shore excursion outside a Carnival sponsored excursion. Unfortunately, if you want a whale watching excursion, I am afraid you will have to take an Alaskan cruise. I don't think the Caribbean cruises offer them. You may be lucky to see some whales when you are coming into or leaving port.

I know that whales are seen in winter in Samana in Dominica Republic, but that's on the North shore and La Romana is on the south side of the island. I do not know of any area that they congregate on the south side like they do in Samana Bay.

I've cruised many times in the Caribbean in winter and have never seen a whale. Puerto Vallarta is an almost 100% sure sighting area in Winter if you are cruising the Mexican Riviera, but I would not plan on seeing whales in the Caribbean. I know they are there, but other than Samana Bay, do not know of any place that they are a sure bet.

Lots of whale watching opportunities in New England, Hawaii, and Iceland, among other places

• 2 weeks later...

We saw whales in Grand Turk on a snorkeling excursion in 2012 with Grand Turk Diving - just dumb luck though...

I agree with the comments on this thread about La Romana, DR - it was dicey there. We never take Carnival excursions but we did there.

• 1 year later...

There was 1 company in GT that advertised whale watching and I emailed them months ago and never heard back. 1 time several yrs ago, pulling into port we saw 2 whales!! They were swimming right at the top of the water right past the ship. Also have seen several turtles while pulling in. All in GT. Keep your eyes open and hopefully you'll get lucky!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...