SELF embarkment at Port o Miami

Savlamara

Has anyone here done it?

Since we have a little one we have one carry on size spinner suitcase full of just diapers and food, but we also have half of my suitcase full of baby clothes & necessities too which I really cant wait til its on board. Nor can we deal if it gets misplaced til the late evening, the next day or worse. I am NOT worried about the hassle, the large suitcase and the smaller carry on are both spinners, one of us can push the baby in an umbrella stroller and the other handle the spinner luggage.

If you HAVE self embarked at Port of Miami or any other port, how was it? Did the port authority or your cruiseline (in my case Carnival) frown on you for doing it?

You shouldn't have a problem unless your luggage is too large to fit through the scanner (a bit larger than the airport ones), in which case they will make you go back and check it.

I would put enough baby stuff in one smaller bag, to get me through until bedtime...check everything else.

Cross-packing (something of everyone's in each bag) is a good way to assure that you will have something, in case a bag goes awry!

I would put enough baby stuff in one smaller bag, to get me through until bedtime...check everything else.

Cross-packing (something of everyone's in each bag) is a good way to assure that you will have something, in case a bag goes awry!

I would do this. It's very rare that your luggage arrives after 6pm. Have your carry on's with a few extra diapers and a change of clothing for baby, your valuables, IDs for everyone, that type of thing. If the stroller has a storage compartment (that was a necessity for me even when on land), use that. We used a nice light umbrella stroller that had a compartment under her seat, as well as a canopy. I used that exclusively until she didn't need a stroller.

I certainly wouldn't want to cause a logjam by trying to carry and push too much and cause a major line in back of me. As a parent, I know that many people will jump all over any inconvenience to them as a reason that little kids need to stay home, which I know is nonsense if parents act responsibly.

Check in as much as you can and make it easier for yourself. I don't remember if Carnival has the cabins ready when you board (our last Carnival cruise was back in 2002) as Princess does. If you can't go straight to your cabin, you'll be schleping all this stuff for an extra hour or two. Not a relaxing start to a vacation.