Bar Harbour Trolley Tour

raiderette

The Trolley tour offers two different tours, one is only an hour and the other is two and a half hours. The second one adds thunder hole and sieur d mont. I was wondering which one to do. Anyone done this tour in the past I would appreciate your input.

The difference between the long and short tour is not only visiting Thunder Hole and Sieur de Mont but to get to Thunder Hole, the tour travels on the very scenic Ocean Dr and includes driving on the Park Loop Rd where the tour stops at the Jordan Pond House Restaurant http://www.thejordanpondhouse.com/ . All of these stops are inside Acadia National Park. The short tour is only in ANP for the drive up Cadillac Mountain.

I would recommend the long tour.

SBtS

I wasn't sure if the longer tour was worth the time. Thanks for the input. Will do the longer tour. Did you use the trolley's as well? It looks like a better tour than the one through the ship. I was going to get tickets in advance.

I wasn't sure if the longer tour was worth the time. Thanks for the input. Will do the longer tour. Did you use the trolley's as well? It looks like a better tour than the one through the ship. I was going to get tickets in advance.

The longer tour is definitely worth it. Good idea to reserve tickets but don't pay for anything ahead of time (Oli's Trolley will hold tickets for you). If the weather is bad (rough seas) the ship won't stop here since it is a tender port.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year we did Oli's Trolley the 2 1/2 hour tour and it was wonderful

however, we did not go to Jordon Pond Restraunt. I would love to go there. It was a very nice tour and well worth the money. I don't know if

it was a fluke that they did not go there or not. We were there in September. I have read in other places too that they go there but we didn't, might be worth a phone call if you want to go there.:)

Oli's Trolley just called me after I booked a tour and said they're now using a new reservation system that requires paying in advance.

What is their policy if the ship doesn't make the port? Total refund?

Oli's Trolley just called me after I booked a tour and said they're now using a new reservation system that requires paying in advance.

What did they actually say regarding procedures should the ship not be able to dock? We want to pre-book our seats but are relunctant if it means we will lose all of our money (4 pax)? Would appreciate any information they provided you with. Thanks.

What did they actually say regarding procedures should the ship not be able to dock? We want to pre-book our seats but are relunctant if it means we will lose all of our money (4 pax)? Would appreciate any information they provided you with. Thanks.

I made reservations but have not received a phone call for payment. I guess I should e mail and ask. Thanks for the information will keep you informed.

What is their policy if the ship doesn't make the port? Total refund?

I sent an e-mail to Oli's Trolleys and this was their response:

"If the Captain decided not to come into to port is delayed or does not allow tendering we are aware of that and we will offer a full refund (no refund will be offered if you are not on a tender boat in time,to make the tour), but it will be your responsibility to call us and let us know that you are on that ship. If you need to cancel the tour for any other reason a 24 cancellation policy is required"

We used Oli's Trolley and did not make reservations in advance. We were on one of the first tenders into port and reserved a tour when we arrived. We spent the time before the tour walking around the city. It worked out fine.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on an Oli's Trolly tour. I called the number on the website and asked about just reserving a tour without paying. I was told you MUST pay for the ticket and do not just "reserve". I would definitely book ahead. I was told the morning tours are just about full and the afternoon tours were 1/2 full for the day we are in Bar Harbor.

If you wait until you get there, you may not get what you want and you won't have to wait in any lines. I was told there is a 24 hour cancellation policy.

I just want to clarify what is written in post #15. He/she wrote "the park service tour". I want it to be clear that the park service tour is NOT a tour sponsored or supported by the National Park Service. The tour company referred to is Acadia National Park Tours which is an independent tour company.

The only difference (I'm aware of, excluding price) between Oli's and ANPT is that the former uses a modern trolley and the latter an upgraded type of school bus.

SBtS

• 2 months later...

Can anyone advice what the options will be for tours if we do NOT book ahead. I will obviously check with Olli's Trolley first, but if they are sold out, are there any other tours available?

I will not book and pay ahead due to the fact that this is a tender port. I see where Olli's cancellation policy is 24 hours - time which we probably won't have before we are advised by the Captain that we are not stopping there.

If we are unable to get a tour through the park, what would be a good Plan B? Or is the town easily accessible with lots to see, shops, restaurants, etc?

TIA! :)

There are 2 independent tour companies plus a taxi service that provide tours of Acadia National Park from Bar Harbor. You know Olie's; the other is Acadia National Park Tours http://www.acadiatours.com/ . The taxi company is At Your Service Taxi Company http://atyourservicetaxi.com/ .

I know that I have read on the current forum that prepaid tickets were refunded if the port was canceled.

Bar Harbor has many small shops and restaurants but I don't think you would want to stay there for your entire visit.

There is an option to see some of the ANP. There is a seasonal free public bus service, Island Explorer http://exploreacadia.com/ that has 9 routes to various locations on Mount Desert Island. All routes except for one start at the BH Village Green. The IE does not go to the summit of Cadillac Mountain and there is no tour guide on board.

SBtS

There are 2 independent tour companies plus a taxi service that provide tours of Acadia National Park from Bar Harbor. You know Olie's; the other is Acadia National Park Tours http://www.acadiatours.com/ . The taxi company is At Your Service Taxi Company http://atyourservicetaxi.com/ .

I know that I have read on the current forum that prepaid tickets were refunded if the port was canceled.

Bar Harbor has many small shops and restaurants but I don't think you would want to stay there for your entire visit.

There is an option to see some of the ANP. There is a seasonal free public bus service, Island Explorer http://exploreacadia.com/ that has 9 routes to various locations on Mount Desert Island. All routes except for one start at the BH Village Green. The IE does not go to the summit of Cadillac Mountain and there is no tour guide on board.

SBtS

Thanks very much, SBtS. We will see what we can join up with when we arrive. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Bar Harbor on Oct. 24, and I'm trying to decide between the two companies. I know that I was frustrated on our Denali bus tour by foggy windows that barely opened enough to take a picture.

Does anyone have feedback on whether the trolley or the Acadia buses have windows that you can open readily to snap photos? Or any other strong feelings pro or con about either

Oli's Trolley or Acadia Park Tours?

• 2 weeks later...

We are arriving in Bar Harbor on October 19 and I was going to book the 2-1/2 hour tour ahead of time on line and pay for it. I see there are 2-1/2 hour tours that day at 11, 1, 1:15, 1:30 and 2:00. I see the 1:30 is noted as OPEN AIR Trolley. Thinking of doing that one. Will we freeze? We are bringing heavy clothes and will dress warm and I just thought we might see more being in an open air trolley. Has anyone done the open air trolley? Does it have any kind of protection from the elements? Thanks for any info.

Archived