Messina to Taormina via bus or train

Karen H

We will be in Messina from approx noon to 8:00pm on September 17, 2014. All we want to do is walk around Taormina as we have heard it is beautiful.

I read on Trip Advisor the train was convenient, but it doesn't go to Taormina, but rather some downhill distance away. From here we would have the option of waiting for a bus or taking a taxi to complete our trip. The writer further stated the buses tended to be full and the wait for room on a bus could be an hour. The taxi would be about 20Euro.

Anyone have recent experience with train or bus to this destination they could share? Are taxis also waiting around Taormina to take us back to the train station?

Thanks for the help.

We will be in Messina from approx noon to 8:00pm on September 17, 2014. All we want to do is walk around Taormina as we have heard it is beautiful.

I read on Trip Advisor the train was convenient, but it doesn't go to Taormina, but rather some downhill distance away. From here we would have the option of waiting for a bus or taking a taxi to complete our trip. The writer further stated the buses tended to be full and the wait for room on a bus could be an hour. The taxi would be about 20Euro.

Anyone have recent experience with train or bus to this destination they could share? Are taxis also waiting around Taormina to take us back to the train station?

Thanks for the help.

If you don't get a response and the Search button is working, use that. We did the train-bus-walk awhile back, but with your limited time, I would take a taxi. There were taxis at the train station, and some people formed groups to split the cost.

It would help to find out how much recent groups have been paying, as there was some negotiating going on.

Why don't you post something on your roll call and get a group together (or 4 for a taxi).

We hired an 8 seater. There were only 4 of us to start but another 4 Emailed to say they'd come. We had many people onboard ask what we were doing so getting the numbers wasn't a problem.

We used.

Mario & Ig****o Astone

email: info@sicilywithmario.com

They were great.

Edited by sayaguru

Because of the distance and your limited port time I also recommend a prearranged taxi from Messina. Post to your sailing thread and others will join you.

Taormina is absolutely beautiful!

Edited by LEtue

Because of the distance and your limited port time I also recommend a prearranged taxi from Messina. Post to your sailing thread and others will join you.

I agree, it is worth the effort!

Thanks for the advice - I will post on the roll call for this portion of the cruise. If I recall the ship excursion only allowed 2 hours in Taormina.

Karen

My last cruise to Messina was on Royal Caribbean. They offered a "Taormina on your Own" Excursion that I'm pretty sure gave us at least 3 hours in Taormina, which is about right in my opinion. It wasn't terribly priced, at least for one person (I was solo on that cruise). It drove us there and back with a "guide" who walked us into Taormina and showed us the meeting spot for later in the day. We met her there as a group before returning to the bus. You might see if they offer this if it interests you. It was easy, which is what I wanted that day.

For those of you who have had the pleasure of touring Taormina, is 2 hours enough to stroll the streets from one end to the other and see the Greek Amphitheatre?

It's definitely on the low end of time requirements. But it can be done, especially if you're not really interested in shopping. I just verified that the Taormina On Your Own excursion I took with Royal Caribbean offers "approximately 3 hours on your own". And that's what we had, I think. However.... I had seen what I wanted to see after about 2 hours. I leisurely walked from the drop off location to the Greek Amphitheater and toured the inside and took my pictures. Then I strolled back, stopping at a few scenic vistas along the way and bought some gelato. I actually sat in a little public square and people watched for about 45 minutes while I waited for the meeting time of our group for the return to ship. So, 2 hours isn't great. 3 would be better. But you can probably see the major views in 2 hours. However, if you're someone who wants to go into shoppes and look at things you might purchase, then 2 hours would be pushing it, in my opinion.

It's definitely on the low end of time requirements. But it can be done, especially if you're not really interested in shopping. I just verified that the Taormina On Your Own excursion I took with Royal Caribbean offers "approximately 3 hours on your own". And that's what we had, I think. However.... I had seen what I wanted to see after about 2 hours. I leisurely walked from the drop off location to the Greek Amphitheater and toured the inside and took my pictures. Then I strolled back, stopping at a few scenic vistas along the way and bought some gelato. I actually sat in a little public square and people watched for about 45 minutes while I waited for the meeting time of our group for the return to ship. So, 2 hours isn't great. 3 would be better. But you can probably see the major views in 2 hours. However, if you're someone who wants to go into shoppes and look at things you might purchase, then 2 hours would be pushing it, in my opinion.

If we can't find anyone to share a taxi, then at least we can do the ships excursion and get 2 hours of viewing in!

Karen, we were in Taormina last November and this past May and the weather was lovely both times. Taormina is very pretty but it's also super crowded and touristy. It's a bustling little place. There's an exquisite garden at the edge of town that I hope you will take the time to see. Here's the info about it from Trip Advisor. This garden was the highlight of our day in Taormina! http://http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187892-d2049280-r132732922-Giardini_della_Villa_Comunale-Taormina_Province_of_Messina_Sicily.html

Just to let you know I did take your advice and hooked up with two other couples for a trip to Taormina.

Thanks again,

Karen

Karen, we were in Taormina last November and this past May and the weather was lovely both times. Taormina is very pretty but it's also super crowded and touristy. It's a bustling little place. There's an exquisite garden at the edge of town that I hope you will take the time to see. Here's the info about it from Trip Advisor. This garden was the highlight of our day in Taormina! http://http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187892-d2049280-r132732922-Giardini_della_Villa_Comunale-Taormina_Province_of_Messina_Sicily.html

I read the trip advisor reviews and also made note of the comment regarding restrooms!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this valuable information.

Karen

Hi Karen, you said you are in Taormina 9/17. My wife and I are on HAL and there same day. We are looking for Taxi "Mates" if you might have the opportunity.

Please email me at hearttoheartcardio@yahoo.com if you have any thoughts...

Thanks and have a great trip, Gary

She said she found two other couples. If she doesn't answer, you could post on your roll call too.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Karen, you said you are in Taormina 9/17. My wife and I are on HAL and there same day. We are looking for Taxi "Mates" if you might have the opportunity.

Please email me at hearttoheartcardio@yahoo.com if you have any thoughts...

Thanks and have a great trip, Gary

Hello Gary, Were you by any chance on the Adriatic Dream cruise on Holland America?? If so, we just booked that one for Sept 15th of next year. Would love to hear about it! I fell in love with Taormina back some 29-30 years ago when I was stationed in that area during my navy days.