Help with hotel near Central Park

We are going to a wedding in Central Park, then some sight seeing in NYC, and then a cruise.

I know hotels are expensive, but was hoping someone could give some advice on a hotel in Manhattan that is more in a moderate range and/or what areas on NYC are safe and are close to mass transit. Would like to pay $300 or less if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Define "close". Hotels near Times Square and in Midtown East are "close" for me, and there are plenty in both locations. I'd have to look, but someone posted a mid-tier hotel near Columbus Circle a few months ago that was a very nice deal. Any of those areas would be near public transportation. And safe.

What do you want to see while you're in town? How many nights? When?

Define "close". Hotels near Times Square and in Midtown East are "close" for me, and there are plenty in both locations. I'd have to look, but someone posted a mid-tier hotel near Columbus Circle a few months ago that was a very nice deal. Any of those areas would be near public transportation. And safe.

What do you want to see while you're in town? How many nights? When?

This would be mid October for 3 nights - would like to see 911 memorial as well as Statue of Liberty. I have been to NYC but it was over 30 years ago.

As far as close, anything that wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to get to Central Park.

Thanks.

This would be mid October for 3 nights - would like to see 911 memorial as well as Statue of Liberty. I have been to NYC but it was over 30 years ago.

As far as close, anything that wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to get to Central Park.

Thanks.

Any chain preference?

The usual resale sites are pretty good if you don't have a preference. The hotel I was thinking of before was a Garden Inn by Hilton that a member found. I would search Times Square, Midtown East, and Midtown West for options. You're fine in any of those areas. I personally prefer Midtown East, and there's a Marriott, Hyatt, W, and Doubletree all in a row on Lexington around 50th. October may be a shoulder season, so you may get a good deal at a name brand hotel through their own web site.

Manhattan is generally a very safe place. Do a little research, and let us know if you find any specific hotels you'd like information on. Any of the areas I've listed are close to the subway for travel to the Battery Park/WTC area.

As far as proximity to Central Park, it is pretty big (spans 50 blocks). It would be helpful if you know where in the park they plan to have the wedding.

I would recommend considering splurging on a cab to get as close as you can (often the roads through the park are closed to traffic) for the actual wedding. The subway is otherwise great but it's not always the best for formal wear.

As others have said, the city is very safe. So no need to stress about that.

It is VERY bare bones,rooms are not much bigger than a minimum cabin on a ship, but the beds are clean, en suite bath, and it's about $140 a night. The Hotel Astor is at approx 104th St on Central Park West. Not too difficult to get back into midtown (and lower) by subway, and it's right on the park. If it were in Europe it would be a "Pensione"

Edited by marco

Holiday Inn Express Manhattan West Side

538 West 48th Street, New York, NY 10036

Oct 14, 2014 to Oct 17, 2014 - 2 Adults

Standard - 2 Beds Refundable $219 + $37 taxes/fees $768

Standard - 1 Bed Refundable $239 + $40 taxes/fees $837

Picked 3 nights mid Oct, don't know your exact dates.

Get another $35 off for signing up with Travelpony and an extra $50 off on 500 or more with promo code MEMDAY14 (book by Memorial Day '14).

Booking.com, Travelo, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Expedia charge over $1000,- for the same dates.