Transportation from Le Havre to Honfleur

PeggyCTB

We will be in LeHavre this September aboard Oceania's Marina and want to visit Honfleur, preferably on our own. Although the bus schedule I found online only goes through July the times do not appear to be good. Does anyone have any suggestions or know an approximate taxi fare? We do not want to rent a car.

Thanks.

Peggy

You are correct that the bus service between LeHavre and Honfleur is awful. Taxis in France are quite expensive and you are talking about a 16 mile taxi ride (each way). Not sure of the exact fare for that distance but would expect it to be at least 60 Euros each way. For us, the solution in this region is to simply rent a car for the day. A rental will actually cost less then a round trip taxi ride to Honfleur and give you the flexibility to go to some other places (Deuville is not far from Honfleur).

Hank

Here is an alternative.We are on your cruise and we have contacted a driver who offers a suggested full day tour of the area -Bayeaux (historic quilt, Calvados tasting, Etretat (B&B monastery and liqueur and scenic cliffs beach area). For the day he is $300 a couple for 2 couples. I am quite flexible about planning the day and of course if there were another couple (6 people) the price would go down. It is more expensive than a taxi to Honfleur but we would see a lot more. We could add time in Honfleur, a charming place.See my picture.It's one of my best.

IMG_0959resize-1.jpg

Cadreamer, we might be interested in this tour. Although we have not been to the places you mention we would like to add Honfleur. In all the times we have docked in Le Havre we have never made it there. Please e-mail me at PeggyCTB at aol dot com and give me some details. There are probably others interested if the size of the vehicle would be comfortable for six.

Thank you.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...
Here is an alternative.We are on your cruise and we have contacted a driver who offers a suggested full day tour of the area -Bayeaux (historic quilt, Calvados tasting, Etretat (B&B monastery and liqueur and scenic cliffs beach area). For the day he is $300 a couple for 2 couples. I am quite flexible about planning the day and of course if there were another couple (6 people) the price would go down. It is more expensive than a taxi to Honfleur but we would see a lot more. We could add time in Honfleur, a charming place.See my picture.It's one of my best.

IMG_0959resize-1.jpg

Cadreamer,

We are on the same Marina cruise and will be interested to join you on this tour.

We 'd like to include Honfleur as well.

Please email me:

osandomir@yahoo.com

Olga

• 3 months later...
What was the name of the driver that you hired in France - to take you to Honfleur' date=' etc. ? - How do we contact him ?[/size']

THANKS

We just got off the Caribbean Princess this week, and when we called at Le Harve, we just got a taxi at the port and arranged our day with him. They all seem to work with Radio Taxi Le Harve. They have several set tours, but they were flexible as we wanted to see both Rouen and Honfleur. Their web site is: http://www.taxis-le-havre.com

The above is the same company with whom I have arranged our tour. I am corresponding directly with Christophe and his email is christophe.dallet@orange.fr

He is not the driver but he does the correspondence for taxis-le-havre. We have chosen Tour 3 as the basic tour and then added a couple of stops(the Benedictine monastery and the Calvados area) to it. I hope this helps.

The above is the same company with whom I have arranged our tour. I am corresponding directly with Christophe and his email is christophe.dallet@orange.fr

He is not the driver but he does the correspondence for taxis-le-havre. We have chosen Tour 3 as the basic tour and then added a couple of stops(the Benedictine monastery and the Calvados area) to it. I hope this helps.

a little late but we also booked with taxi's le havre and corresponded with Christophe... we had Phillippe as our driver and he took us to Fecamp, eretrat, deuxville and honfluer.... we enjoyed our day despite the rain .... they also know how to handle that terrible constant traffic jam on the Ponte De Normandie

here is our blog there are 3 entries ... last one has the text

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

joanne

We are using them too - prices are quite reasonable - for just HonFleur - price is 125 euros for 1-4 people and 150 euros for 5 or 6 people.

Check the bus schedule. I know Hank said the bus service in France is awful. WOW - we must have been lucky. The buses were exactly on time as listed on the schedule. A group of us walked from the port to the into town (10/15 minute walk) and took the bus to Honfluer. It was inexpensive and took about 45 minutes ( If I remember correctly) When we got back into LeHarve we walked the beach area, had ice cream and walked back to the ship. It was a fabulous day. I have found Hank's posts to be right on - we didn't know any better, decided to take the bus and everything worked out perfectly for us.

Marion

Check the bus schedule. I know Hank said the bus service in France is awful. WOW - we must have been lucky. The buses were exactly on time as listed on the schedule. A group of us walked from the port to the into town (10/15 minute walk) and took the bus to Honfluer. It was inexpensive and took about 45 minutes ( If I remember correctly) When we got back into LeHarve we walked the beach area, had ice cream and walked back to the ship. It was a fabulous day. I have found Hank's posts to be right on - we didn't know any better, decided to take the bus and everything worked out perfectly for us.

Marion

OUCH! Have to correct your misquote as I said that bus service between Le Havre and Honfleur is awful......not that bus service in "France is awful." In fact, we often love to use public buses in France....but just not between Le Havre and Honfleur. They do run on schedule....but just do not run often enough which means you either need to be lucky to time it right of plan your day around the bus schedule. But certainly glad it worked-out well for your port day :)

It takes me about 25 min to drive between Le Havre and Honfleur. If using local buses one can find themselves spending 1 1/2 hours on the bus (round trip) plus waiting time for the bus (and the buses do not run very often). Suddenly what is a relatively short 15 mile ride can take several hours which does not suit some folks on port days.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Wondering how long it took for Christophe to respond. I wrote him 2 days ago and have not received a reply.

Thanks for any assistance or insight.

Terry :)

He responded promptly as I recall. I contacted him during the off season and this would be their busy season . I expect he will reply in a day or so. Have you checked your spam folder? I will be interested to hear if you have a problem.

He responded promptly as I recall. I contacted him during the off season and this would be their busy season . I expect he will reply in a day or so. Have you checked your spam folder? I will be interested to hear if you have a problem.

That's what I am thinking. I'll give him a few more days and then write again. I do check my spam folder everyday as well. I have things "held" until I can verify addresses and senders. Thanks so much for your response.

tt

What a beautiful picture!! I would love a copy of it as a screensaver. Maybe I'll get a great one too when we are there again in September but the last time it was a bit overcast. Would you be open to sharing this with me?

• 2 months later...
You are correct that the bus service between LeHavre and Honfleur is awful. Taxis in France are quite expensive and you are talking about a 16 mile taxi ride (each way). Not sure of the exact fare for that distance but would expect it to be at least 60 Euros each way. For us, the solution in this region is to simply rent a car for the day. A rental will actually cost less then a round trip taxi ride to Honfleur and give you the flexibility to go to some other places (Deuville is not far from Honfleur).

Our cruise ship will arrive in Le Havre on Saturday May 19, 2013. We understand from reading most of your posts that the bus service is awful but is a taxi really as much as 120 Euros round trip? We do not want a tour. Just transport to and from the ship.

Our cruise ship will arrive in Le Havre on Saturday May 19, 2013. We understand from reading most of your posts that the bus service is awful but is a taxi really as much as 120 Euros round trip? We do not want a tour. Just transport to and from the ship.

The short answer is yes. You can probably get a taxi to do it round trip (including waiting time for a couple of hours) for about that 120 Euro price. But trying to get a taxi to take you one-way does not save much money since the taxi would have to come back to Le Havre empty. And then you would still have the problem of finding another taxi to later get you back to Le Havre. Unlike countries like Itay where you can often find a taxi...it is not so easy in France (most telephone for taxis).

One irony about France is that we have found its often must less costly to simply rent a car for a day then use taxis. For example, on one recent trip to Le Havre we rented a car for about $100 (which included our gas) and drove to Honfleur and Deauville in the morning. In the afternoon we went all the way out to both Fecamp and Etretat which is on the opposite side of Le Havre then those first two towns (so it was a long drive). If we had hired a taxi for this same journey it would have easily cost us over 300 Euros.

Hank

• 9 months later...
We will be in LeHavre this September aboard Oceania's Marina and want to visit Honfleur, preferably on our own. Although the bus schedule I found online only goes through July the times do not appear to be good. Does anyone have any suggestions or know an approximate taxi fare? We do not want to rent a car.

Thanks.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

We are also on your cruise and are wanting to travel to Honfleur? Have you found any good method of transportation. If so, could you please e mail me at idamae@davida.ca. We are also looking for a trip to Dinan from Saint Malo?

We used Radio Taxi LeHarve. They have a web site with their base fares, but they also have a taxi line right at the port. We hadn't lined one up in advance, but we talked to a driver once we got off the ship and told him what we wanted to do and that was it. Not inexpensive, but we split it with another couple that we met on the ship and it was one of our best days.

• 1 year later...

Marion

Hi Mparis 184,

Would you kindly let me know how to take bus to Le harve from Honfluer.

Thanks.

Edited by ahlanmak