Day in San Pedro to Disneyland - Possible?

We are headed to San Pedro on the Star Princess this October - October 7th to be exact and we are trying to figure out what to do in port. We're thinking about Disneyland - Is it feasible? Google Maps says it's a 50 minute drive (of course needing to account for rush hour traffic). Is this roughly accurate?

Disneyland is open 8am-6pm; California Adventure Park is open 8am-8pm and Downtown Disney is open late. We are in port from about 7:30am-11pm.

We are coming from Vancouver, BC and are the understanding that we will clear customs in Vancouver. So we should be able to walk right off once given the all clear in San Pedro... right?

We looked at a crowd predictor for Disneyland and it's not supposed to be too busy - maybe all the Canadians are coming down later in the week - (gotta love Thanksgiving weekends). Are we crazy for considering this? I've also asked this question on our roll-call, but so far haven't gotten a response. Feedback and suggestions are gratefully appreciated!

Thanks!

I think that it would definitely be feasible, just make sure you have multiple ways to get there and back incase one mode of transportation falls through. The ride there will probably be closer to an hour. If I were you I would make sure to leave Disneyland/Downtown by 9PM to ensure that you can get back to port in time even if there is heavy traffic (which LA and the OC are known for) or car troubles.

Disneyland won't be that crowded on a Wednesday, especially if you go when the park just opens. I hope you have a great time! :)

The all aboard time is usually 30 minutes before sailaway, so 10:30.

I'd leave Downtown Disney no later than 8pm. That'll give you 2.5 hours to get back to the ship. Without traffic it's about 45 minutes, but there's almost always a bottleneck somewhere.

--- The freeway are like streetlights. You'll hit all the greens if you're not in a rush, all the reds if you are.

The all aboard time is usually 30 minutes before sailaway, so 10:30.

I'd leave Downtown Disney no later than 8pm. That'll give you 2.5 hours to get back to the ship. Without traffic it's about 45 minutes, but there's almost always a bottleneck somewhere.

--- The freeway are like streetlights. You'll hit all the greens if you're not in a rush, all the reds if you are.

I agree with SadieN that you should leave no later than 8PM, 9PM is too late. I didn't take into account sailaway time in my last post.

I just went to Disneyland yesterday (Sunday) and left around 7:30PM and there was already bad traffic coming out of the park and onto the freeway. :mad:

Thank you for the feedback - Please keep it coming!

Is traffic still that bad around 8pm in the evening? Even on the freeway midweek?

I found a car service that could transport us round-trip - at the moment it's just my husband and I, so loading the car should be pretty simple. (Although this may change if we can find someone from our roll-call who wants to join us).

Does anyone have any experience with visiting San Pedro as the first stop on a cruise, specifically a cruise that has departed from Vancouver? I know that if we were to stop in Victoria we would have to clear customs in LA before getting off the ship, and I know that can take forever!! A big part of our planning would hinge on the fact that we could get off the ship relatively soon after we arrive in San Pedro. We are debating whether to get a Park Hopper pass in order to maximize our time at Disneyland/California Adventure, so getting there as soon as we can is important to us.

I was just at Disneyland two weeks ago and the traffic is as horrible as ever, all hours of the day. You'll be right in morning rush hour on your way there. The trip is doable, just pad your travel time by a lot more than you think you'll need. I agree that I wouldn't leave Anaheim any later than 8 pm. A car service would make things much less stressful.

Make a list of the rides you most want to do. If they are mainly in one park, don't get a park hopper. If they are split and you won't visit again any time soon, get a park hopper. It's very quick walking back and forth between the parks.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

I live in the Anaheim area a frequenly cruise out of the San Pedro Area and worked there for 5yrs. Visiting Disneyland is very possible. The morning traffic will not be fun but in the evening it is much lighter. The return will be approximately 45 min. So the key is to be driving away from Anaheim no later than 9pm. If you are using a local driver he/she will check traffic and choose alternative routs, there are many. 1.5 hrs is more than enough time to get back.

The bigger question is is it worth the cost. I love Disney but it is a pricey item. It will be full. There is virtually no slow season. If Disney is on your bucket list, then go for it. Otherwise there are many other great things to do. Knott's Berry Farm is a fun amusement park with good rides. That time of year you will have virtually no lines. Other options close to the port include the Aquarium of the Pacific, USS Iowa with a harbor cruise.

Just a suggestion. Check the cruiseline excursions to see if they offer an excursion to Disneyland. If they offer the excursion, you know you have time. If they don't you may be cutting it close.

Are you into theme parks, or just to say you've been to Disneyland? I think I would settle for the "original" Disneyland with the Downtown Disney and forget California Adventure. JMHO the cost of the two parks is outrageous for what you get.

My daughter and granddaughter had a pass so could go to either park. I only purchased Disneyland ticket, so I wandered around Downtown Disney while they went to California Adventure.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Just a suggestion. Check the cruiseline excursions to see if they offer an excursion to Disneyland. If they offer the excursion, you know you have time. If they don't you may be cutting it close.

Princess offers a Universal Studios on your own excursion - $65 for transportation, but you are only at the park for 4 hours - way to short of time for us to even consider it. We found it strange that they don't offer something similar for Disneyland.

We're still debating - we've been to Disneyland before and will probably go again, but just thought, we're in Southern California! Let' see if we can do this!

Please keep the feedback coming! And thank you to all who have replied so far! All opinions and suggestions welcome!

Lots of other options.

The USS Iowa is berthed in San Pedro. An easy walk from your ship.

Long Beach is very close. Take a taxi to the Aquarium of the Pacific, board the free Passport bus to the Queen Mary, grab a taxi back to the ship. Lots of restaurants in Long Beach.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...

...but you'll love it!

If your ship docks and departs at the times noted, you will have time to explore both Disneyland & California Adventure in addition to dealing with traffic. There's really nothing special about "Downtown Disney" (it's shops and restaurants, the same you'll find in any mall...except the Disney Store), so bypass it altogether, and just hightail it to the parks.

As for the cost, this would be one of those "excursions" you might view as a "once in a lifetime" and therefore one that you can't put a price tag on. It's a shame that Disneyland closes earlier than usual that evening, because I was going to suggest that one way to save some $ is to only do one park, and choose the original...Disneyland.

Because Disneyland will close earlier that day, I would suggest starting there. Find a list of the top 10 rides at both parks, and go for it. :)

Have a blast.

It's a shame that Disneyland closes earlier than usual that evening, because I was going to suggest that one way to save some $ is to only do one park, and choose the original...Disneyland.

Because Disneyland will close earlier that day, I would suggest starting there. Find a list of the top 10 rides at both parks, and go for it. :)

The reason Disneyland closes early is because of Halloween. You can buy tickets for the experience. It is very fun. There are "candy" stations all around D-land. The cast members are wonderful and you can get enough candy to last you a life time and then some. It is one of the few times adults are allowed to wear costumes. Great atmosphere.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/mickeys-halloween-party/

Thank you for the feedback - Please keep it coming!

Is traffic still that bad around 8pm in the evening? Even on the freeway midweek?

I found a car service that could transport us round-trip - at the moment it's just my husband and I, so loading the car should be pretty simple. (Although this may change if we can find someone from our roll-call who wants to join us).

Does anyone have any experience with visiting San Pedro as the first stop on a cruise, specifically a cruise that has departed from Vancouver? I know that if we were to stop in Victoria we would have to clear customs in LA before getting off the ship, and I know that can take forever!! A big part of our planning would hinge on the fact that we could get off the ship relatively soon after we arrive in San Pedro. We are debating whether to get a Park Hopper pass in order to maximize our time at Disneyland/California Adventure, so getting there as soon as we can is important to us.

Just a sec...is San Pedro a port stop or is your cruise concluding there? If it is simply a port stop, you WILL NOT have to consider customs in any way. The ship clears the entire manifest (accounts for all passengers) as a group and passengers are free to come and go as they please. Only if the US is your final destination are you required to clear customs at the port.

Do bear in mind though that even without that delay, it can take some time to get off, depending on a lot of factors. Say your ship docks at 7:00 a.m. - there may be a delay in the Port Authority allowing the gangway to be opened. Once the gangway is opened, there may a period of time reserved for priority-only groups (i.e. elite loyalty status cruisers, suite passengers, ship-sponsored excursions). After they clear there will perhaps be quite a line of people trying to leave - your spot in this line will determine how quick you get to shore. Since you don't mention what ship you're sailing I can't even guess what, if any of these factors might affect you. Have you checked to see if your ship is offering an excursion to Disneyland? If so, that would be the easiest route to take.

As for your question about buying a ParkHopper? I say yes, even though the rate for a 1-Day Hopper is ridiculous. The reason I have done it before is that it allows you to maximize your limited time - if one park is extremely busy at a certain time of day you can "hop" to the other one. Whatever you decide to do - have a great trip.

Edited by ronandannette

We're on the Star Princess, leaving in 18 days! San Pedro is our first port, so I have been assured that customs will not be an issue. We found 2 people to share the car with us (yay!) and I think we decided against the Park Hopper - with Disneyland closing at 6pm, we figured everyone without the special event tickets will be heading over to California Adventure for those final two hours. Also, we figured we'd be pretty wiped from all the Disney craziness!

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I will let you know how it goes!

We're on the Star Princess, leaving in 18 days! San Pedro is our first port, so I have been assured that customs will not be an issue. We found 2 people to share the car with us (yay!) and I think we decided against the Park Hopper - with Disneyland closing at 6pm, we figured everyone without the special event tickets will be heading over to California Adventure for those final two hours. Also, we figured we'd be pretty wiped from all the Disney craziness!

Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I will let you know how it goes!

We are on the same cruise leaving later in the month. As we've never been to Disneyland, we'd love to see it. May I ask what transport service you are using, cost, and what times you are being picked and dropped off? We arrive on Sunday 1st November. I guess a Sunday will be very busy!

We are on the same cruise leaving later in the month. As we've never been to Disneyland, we'd love to see it. May I ask what transport service you are using, cost, and what times you are being picked and dropped off? We arrive on Sunday 1st November. I guess a Sunday will be very busy!

I found a car service: http://affordabletowncarcompany.com/ - I just put in the times we wanted pick up/drop off and I was sent an quote. Initially the quote was $160usd, but when I booked the car this morning, it had gone up to $170usd roundtrip plus tip.

We asked to be picked up at San Pedro at 7:30am and then picked up at Disneyland at 8pm in the evening to go back to the ship. If something should happen, and we are not able to get into San Pedro, we will be calling the car service to cancel - there's a $25 cancellation fee with 24 hours notice. We don't plan to pre-buy Disneyland tickets just in case the ship is delayed. (As far as we can tell there is no advantage to pre-buying tickets for a single day).

Like I said, I'll let you know how it goes!

I found a car service: http://affordabletowncarcompany.com/ - I just put in the times we wanted pick up/drop off and I was sent an quote. Initially the quote was $160usd, but when I booked the car this morning, it had gone up to $170usd roundtrip plus tip.

We asked to be picked up at San Pedro at 7:30am and then picked up at Disneyland at 8pm in the evening to go back to the ship. If something should happen, and we are not able to get into San Pedro, we will be calling the car service to cancel - there's a $25 cancellation fee with 24 hours notice. We don't plan to pre-buy Disneyland tickets just in case the ship is delayed. (As far as we can tell there is no advantage to pre-buying tickets for a single day).

Like I said, I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks for the information :)