Question for Bonnie about Visas

Grandma Cruising

Hi Bonnie

We will be on the Quest in November from Singapore to Hong Kong. I have checked and as UK passport holders the only country that requires us to have a Visa is Vietnam. There seems to be a lot of confusion on these forums as to whether we will need to get out own visas or whether Azamara will do it for us whilst we are on board. Please can you advise us as to what is the position regarding visas for Vietnam.

(On our last cruise which finished in Mumbai we had to have obtained our own visas beforehand, but Azamara did not tell us that until 10 days before the cruise - luckily for us we had already got ours)

Thanks

Hi Grandma Cruising,

Visas are tricky because they are all different by destination and country of origin.

It's best if you or your travel planner contact the UK Customer service for the most up to date information on what's needed.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Bonnie

Not the aggravation of India fortunately! On my last cruise from Europe to Mumbai an American lady didn't have an Indian visa. Unwilling to get off in Dubai on her own she continued to Mumbai and stayed on the ship for the following cruise, only able to get off in the Maldives and eventually flying home from Sri Lanka before we docked back in Chennai, India. Her travel agent got it in the neck big time and once again when she was home no doubt.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Well, I have just rung a UK customer services number that I had and was told that Azamara do not get visas for people and that we need to get our own if one is needed. They suggested I use the Visa Central website to check if one is needed and it says it is for both UK and USA passport holders.

I think, despite many people saying Azamara will get it for us on board, we will get our own then we are sure.

It would be helpful Bonnie if Azamara could get its act together regarding Visa information - lots of people seem to be saying we will be able to get a Vietnam Visa on board, but the company says not!

We were also on a cruise to Mumbai where several people had to leave the cruise in Dubai because they did not have a visa for India. On that occasion Azamara did email people to say they needed a Visa for India, but only did so about 10 days before the cruise - far too late to get one.

Not the aggravation of India fortunately! On my last cruise from Europe to Mumbai an American lady didn't have an Indian visa. Unwilling to get off in Dubai on her own she continued to Mumbai and stayed on the ship for the following cruise, only able to get off in the Maldives and eventually flying home from Sri Lanka before we docked back in Chennai, India. Her travel agent got it in the neck big time and once again when she was home no doubt.

Phil

Phil, I am an American and the ship got at least 6 Visa's for us. .the new Visa on Arrival thing for India.. ended up no big deal and i got off on all three ports. The ship takes care of Nam. 10 weeks on ship and i only got China from home. Rules are different per country. but i get most info from gov't websites..

Most customers don't want to know whether they need visas, the question usually is can it be obtained by Azamara. I don't understand why there can't be some sort of list accessible on the web under the "once booked" tab that is periodically updated with such information. I have seen this from other cruise lines.

Well, I have just rung a UK customer services number that I had and was told that Azamara do not get visas for people and that we need to get our own if one is needed. They suggested I use the Visa Central website to check if one is needed and it says it is for both UK and USA passport holders.

I think, despite many people saying Azamara will get it for us on board, we will get our own then we are sure.

It would be helpful Bonnie if Azamara could get its act together regarding Visa information - lots of people seem to be saying we will be able to get a Vietnam Visa on board, but the company says not!

We were also on a cruise to Mumbai where several people had to leave the cruise in Dubai because they did not have a visa for India. On that occasion Azamara did email people to say they needed a Visa for India, but only did so about 10 days before the cruise - far too late to get one.

Guatemala? It's disappointing that they are giving out duff information. Vietnam visas are definitely done on the ship for a nominal fee, but for your own comfort you can arrange it yourself. Frustrating though.

Phil

I've spoken a couple of times to Guatemala and they do sound American too. I rang them about a Royal Caribbean booking I have (the only one not handed over to a travel agent) and they were hopeless. Tried to charge me an extra £3000 for switching cabin within a category. Until I guided them politely;)

Phil

I have now got a definitive answer from a member of Richard Twynam's staff as follows:

"Thank you for your email addressed to Richard Twynam dated 4th June 2015.

I apologise for the confusion caused regarding the Vietnam visas.

Please rest assured that you will be able to obtain a visa for Vietnam whilst onboard and it's not a necessity to purchase the visa prior to travel.

I have been informed the cost for the visa will be approximately $50 per person."

I now feel much happier and we will not get our own visas beforehand. Yet again Richard Twynam comes up trumps, and very quickly!

• 3 weeks later...

A CC member just posted the following information on the roll call for our November cruise, so thought I'd pass it on here.

This is from the Embassy of Vietnam website:

On 22 June 2015, the Embassy received the formal notification that the Government of Viet Nam decided to exempt visa for British, German, French, Spanish and Italian citizens travelling to Viet Nam (for all purposes) for a period of up to 15 days, and on the basis of meeting all conditions prescribed by Vietnamese laws.

The visa exemption period will start from 1 July 2015 and end on 30 June 2016.

(Note: According to Vietnam immigration law, to be eligible for visa exemption, your passport must have at least six months validity. If you wish to enter Viet Nam at least two consecutive times without visa, the next entry must be at least 30 days after the previous exit. If you enter Viet Nam the first time with visa, then the next entry without visa can be less than 30 days after your previous exit).

It has also been widely reported in the media:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...r-Britons.html