Beaches

negn

Have been to St Martin numerous times and always went to Orient. Looking for a change this time. Would prefer the Caribbean side as I think the water is less rough. Looking for chair/umbrella rental and a few cocktails. Suggestions?

Have been to St Martin numerous times and always went to Orient. Looking for a change this time. Would prefer the Caribbean side as I think the water is less rough. Looking for chair/umbrella rental and a few cocktails. Suggestions?

What month? At some beaches on the island the time of year matters.

Thank you for starting this thread! I'll be in port in St. Maarten in two weeks and we had been planning on spending the day on Orient Beach until we recently read about the construction. Does anyone else have any recommendations for a beach where 4 adults and no kids can grab some drinks and food at a place with plenty of lounge chairs? I read the comments about Karakter and Dreams and I'm keeping them in mind :)

Thank you for starting this thread! I'll be in port in St. Maarten in two weeks and we had been planning on spending the day on Orient Beach until we recently read about the construction. Does anyone else have any recommendations for a beach where 4 adults and no kids can grab some drinks and food at a place with plenty of lounge chairs? I read the comments about Karakter and Dreams and I'm keeping them in mind :)

Grand Case is really nice. There are 2 nice beaches with many options for water sports and many restaurants/beach bars for lunch. I love Grand Case it always makes for a great day.:)

October. Would need chairs and umbrella as well as a few cocktails

I would check here before you leave to see which beaches are in the best condition. There may have been recent storms or upcoming ones so check the weather forecast as well. Also seaweed has been an issue at some of the beaches so you will want to check this as well.

With that said I like Karakter on Simpson Bay beach, Dreams at Nettle Bay and so many places on Grand Case Beach. Of the 3 of them that I visited earlier this month. Grand Case was in the best condition but that can change.

Anything on the French side and most of the south will be free of the seaweed problem currently experienced on the east coast and many other islands.

I do not disagree with Karysa about Grand Case but going that far knowing the potential traffic tie ups can make one uneasy.

Having said that another great choice on that side of the island is Friar's Bay. Restaurant on site and amenities. There are so many great choices you really cannot go wrong!

Heading down there myself in 3 weeks!!! :D

Anything on the French side and most of the south will be free of the seaweed problem currently experienced on the east coast and many other islands.

I do not disagree with Karysa about Grand Case but going that far knowing the potential traffic tie ups can make one uneasy.

Having said that another great choice on that side of the island is Friar's Bay. Restaurant on site and amenities. There are so many great choices you really cannot go wrong!

Heading down there myself in 3 weeks!!! :D

My DH takes a way around Philipsburg so traffic is not an issue from Grand Case to the port. It works out to about $25 pp by taxi each way for distance but time wise it's pretty consistently 45 minutes.

Getting a taxi back from Friars would be a lot more stress inducing to me then taxiing from Grand Case where taxis are plenty due to the resorts and local airport. I also like Friar's and especially Happy Bay which is a 15 minute hike from Friar's.

Remember Orient is on the French side and its on the east side of the island which is the Atlantic side and this is the side that is experiencing more of the seaweed issues.