Marigot with Preschooler

chemjenny

My husband and older children will be off on an excursion. So, I'm contemplating taking my 4 yr old by myself to Marigot. She and I are excited to experience the French side.

Any concerns, safety or otherwise? If we take a taxi to Fort Louis, how far is the walk to the open air market?

Thanks!

I have few concerns about safety, but I'm pretty sure that this is not a great idea.

When you arrive Marigot, it is most probably going to be hot and relatively humid. Even if you have your taxi drop you nearest the Fort, it's still quite a hike up to the Fort, itself.

th_DSCN4256.jpg th_DSCN4335.jpg

I guess the good news is that it is all downhill from there, and when you reach the bottom the Marketplace is very close.

You appear to be there on a Monday, so the Market is not as strong as Wednesdays and Saturdays, and by the time you reach there the stands will probably be mostly closed up.

Many Marigot shops close between 1:00 and around 3:00.

Perhaps consider a quick visit to the St. Maarten Zoo.

gary

When I mention the Marigot Marketplace, this is what I'm referring to:

th_DSCN1234.jpg th_DSCN2911.jpg th_DSCN2905.jpg

(click)

I would expect most of these will closed up and long gone by 3:00 on a Monday.

The shops that I was referring to would be typical boutiques and storefronts, typically not catering directly to the cruiser set. These shops very often close mid-day for a couple of hours, reopening in the afternoon and perhaps on into the early evening.

th_DSCN4113.jpg

This day was a special street faire.

The West Indies Mall will probably be open.

th_DSCN2904.jpg

gary

Edited by gtaylor

There is a similar Marketplace located right in Philipsburg, behind the Courthouse.

It is stocked with t-shirts, caps and such, along with typical Caribbean souvenirs, typically made elsewhere, sometimes China. No spices, vegetables or fresh fish available, though. :)

I'm pretty sure that it stays open whenever there is a ship in port.

th_DSCN4534.jpg th_DSCN4537.jpg

gary

The Phillipsburg market has been open every time we have gone into town - they generally start closing as the last ship,is preparing to sail. On other thought: the climb up to the fort at Marigot is pretty taxing - even (perhaps especially) for a pre-schooler - who might not feel rewarded by the ruins, it is not at all like Cinderella's Castle.

Hanging out in Phillipsburg might be the better idea - and while the water quality at Great Bay Beach is questionable for swimming, a small child might enjoy wading and splashing.

Kids do days at theme parks and zoos so those last few flights of stairs will be fun for most 4 year olds. There is a wall that may be too high for the child to see over and they may need to be lifted to see the views. My girls would have loved a climb to the fort and bakery treats and some shopping with mom. I agree the fort is not that impressive but the view is lovely.

The time of day could be the issue here though. You don't want to be in Marigot to shop until 3 as many stores will be closed. By then the market will be pretty much shut down for the day as well. So that would mean hitting the stairs and heading up to the fort around 2 which could be very hot and sticky as Gary mentioned.

I swear I don't get free Icecream for mentioning the carousel Icecream parlor but google this place and if you have a daughter especially then consider going here. We went at least 3 times during our 9 day vacation in May and our little girls are now in University.:D they still feel like princesses here so I can just imagine how much they would have loved this place when they were 4.

Thanks everyone. Karysa, I'll look into the ice cream parlor. My daughter would love that.

We will play it by ear weather wise, if it's too hot. But I do look forward to strolling the streets and window shopping on the French side with my girl. She is fascinated by French, so it will be fun to hear it spoken (and with a better accent than her 15 yr old brother).

Any suggestions on the best street to stroll down, or is it small enough that we should be able to figure it out?

• 4 weeks later...

My 2 cents is: not to try marigot with a little one. My hubby and I did it in June..very hot, crowded..we got lost from each other a few times and didnt see anything that we could not find elsewhere, we rushed back to the hotel saying "bad idea!" we have a 5 yr old g-son...cant imagine the stress of taking him..some folks like the adventure, but not me!!!

My 2 cents is: not to try marigot with a little one. My hubby and I did it in June..very hot, crowded..we got lost from each other a few times and didnt see anything that we could not find elsewhere, we rushed back to the hotel saying "bad idea!" we have a 5 yr old g-son...cant imagine the stress of taking him..some folks like the adventure, but not me!!!

They don't have enough parking in Marigot but I have been to Marigot dozens of times and its not nearly as crowded as an amusement park and other places parents take 4 year olds. I find buffets on cruiseships busier than the streets of Marigot. Also since the stores close in the afternoon, Marigot is best visited in the morning when its less hot.