Best Beach in Tortola?

omega228

Can anyone recommend a good beach for swimming & relaxing with my extended family? (1 teenager, 2 people in their 20's, 1 person in their 30's, 1 person in their 40's, and 1 person in their 60's)

I want something that is not hard to get to from the cruise ship, with a gorgeous beach & some activities (food & bathrooms would be ideal)

THX!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been to Cane Garden Bay three times. The water is always relatively calm; rentals available as well as food and drink. It offers much to many likes. The cab ride there is like a roller coaster!

I too am heading to Cane Garden Bay, it's been highly recommended. Is it easy to find a taxi at the beach so you can head back to your ship?
The Taxis will be there when it's time to head back...You will ride over to the beach with the same taxi that takes you there......They are mostly open air pick-ups with bench seating....Enjoy the Ride.......Have your Camera Ready.....

I vote for Cane Garden Bay too. Though I haven't been to any other beach on Tortola. :rolleyes: It was really nice, nice people, good little shops/bars/etc along the beach. Nice water for swimming. Lots of great views on the cab ride there too! (My photos are at the link below). Next time I think I'd like to check out Virgin Gorda.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a link to a website that has a map of the Tortola beaches and then a separate page discussing each of those beaches with pix.

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/tortola_beaches.html

Thanks for this link ... it gives you info on each beach. For those that are looking to snorkel, according to this link Cane Garden is not good for snorkeling as there is no coral there just sand bottom. But Brewers Bay is listed as excellent for snorkeling. What part of the island does the ship dock and how close to any of these beaches? Thanks ...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Smugglers cove is close by to Road Town? It says they have good snorkeling as well.

One more question...........Does Trellis Bay have good snorkeling? (well 2 questions LOL).......if so, how far is it from Road Town?

Thanks for help.....

Trellis Bay has a lot of boats that either anchor or take a mooring there and I can't say I've heard of anyone recommending it as a snorkel spot. Now, you can take the ferry (free) from the Trellis Bay area over to Marina Cay and snorkel there.

The reef at Smuggler's was badly damaged years ago by a hurricane and I've not found the snorkeling there to be all that great.

Both are as far as you can get from Road Town, just in opposite directions. Smuggler's is on the west end of the north shore and Trellis is on the east end, actually on Beef Island near the airport. Drive time varies depending on traffic.

If going from shore I prefer Brewer's Bay. It's rare to see a boat in there as there is an underwater phone cable that most skipper's do not want to take a chance on hooking with their anchor (that would be an expensive repair bill for them) plus there are reefs that could damage the hulls. Most of the charter companies have it marked as off limits. It's also closer to town and easier to get to.

There is a good amount of boat traffic around Marina Cay but a lot of the snorkeling is in water too shallow for them.

• 1 month later...
I vote for Cane Garden Bay too. Though I haven't been to any other beach on Tortola. :rolleyes: It was really nice, nice people, good little shops/bars/etc along the beach. Nice water for swimming. Lots of great views on the cab ride there too! (My photos are at the link below). Next time I think I'd like to check out Virgin Gorda.

Thanks for the lovely photos. I enjoyed looking at the pics of the food as much as I did of Cane Garden Bay!! :D

Pat

I asked this question in another thread, but haven't gotten an answer, so forgive me for the re-post....

How easy is it to get a cab back to town from Brewer's Bay? Are there likely to be cabs waiting [i know it's a "less-popular" destination than CGB], or would we want to arrange to have the driver return [i'm a bit leery of trusting that!]?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a laid back beach with beauty and good food, I would try Marina Cay. There is a Pussers Restaurant and a great dive shop there -- a free ferry takes you from the airport area over to the cay. Take a 15 minute taxi to the ferry.

Here is a link to Pussers: http://www.pussers.com/outposts/marina_cay

It is a very small island with a great reef around it and a nice beach just adjacent to the restaurant. You won't be inundated with cruise ship passengers here.

In the picture on that web page, the restaurant is the larger red roof -- you can see a nice sand beach all along the water side of it.

MarinaCayUnbelievable.jpg.06cd4460d95e6bc21ce5337134f095ee.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...