Mysterious dining waiting lists

shredie

I switched my anytime for traditional on my upcoming coastal when I found out that traditional diners are using ATD when it is convenient for them, and adding to wait times for everyone else.

How did you determine that this was happening?

I mean, wouldn't one have to poll everyone in the dining room, and

ask them if they were really assingned to traditional?

On carribbean, I had a reservation for 6:00pm in traditional.

On the first afternoon, they sent a note to the cabin that said

if one didn't show up for their traditional seating, the table

would only be held for 15 minutes, and then re-used.

So, the endless claims here that people are taking up two seats

don't seem to be true.

Much like the threads about which balcony doors open...

How did you determine that this was happening?

I mean, wouldn't one have to poll everyone in the dining room, and

ask them if they were really assingned to traditional?

On carribbean, I had a reservation for 6:00pm in traditional.

On the first afternoon, they sent a note to the cabin that said

if one didn't show up for their traditional seating, the table

would only be held for 15 minutes, and then re-used.

So, the endless claims here that people are taking up two seats

don't seem to be true.

Much like the threads about which balcony doors open...

Mom and Sis ran into long waits for ATD on the Golden for this exact reason last October. The person manning the desk (Maître D? Head Waiter?) told them.

Edited by SadieN

If the head waiter said so I'd have to believe it was the case but people on this board make the assumption that people are abusing it anytime they see the DR crowded. I'll bet most times TD people aren't in the AT DR anyway....it's just plain crowded at peak times.

I have personally had a head waiter, and a F&B manager lie to my face.

Deny events that had transpired previously. These guys will to anything

to cover their backsides.

On my last cruise, by 12:45 on Embarcation day, there was quite a line

for dining room lunch. (Head waiter at the door was calling the lido for

more dining staff) They were seating people in tables that were next

to open stations, as the open stations were all full.

And, each day at breakfast, there was quite a line starting about 20

minutes before the dining room closed.

In both cases, there was no traditional option being offered,

it was impossible for traditional diners to skip there seating.

It was just crowded.

In my opinion, where there is a line, people are only guessing as

to the underlying cause.

Just as an aside -- several times, there was a short line for a table-for-two,

while people who were willing to share were seated immediately.

Edited by pablo222

I have personally had a head waiter, and a F&B manager lie to my face.

Deny events that had transpired previously. These guys will to anything

to cover their backsides.

On my last cruise, by 12:45 on Embarcation day, there was quite a line

for dining room lunch. (Head waiter at the door was calling the lido for

more dining staff) They were seating people in tables that were next

to open stations, as the open stations were all full.

And, each day at breakfast, there was quite a line starting about 20

minutes before the dining room closed.

In both cases, there was no traditional option being offered,

it was impossible for traditional diners to skip there seating.

It was just crowded.

In my opinion, where there is a line, people are only guessing as

to the underlying cause.

Just as an aside -- several times, there was a short line for a table-for-two,

while people who were willing to share were seated immediately.

I know what you mean about lying....we had a Maitre D' the Grand one year who refused to assign preassigned seating for 2 (AT DR). Every night the people would line up outside the doors & rush to their preassigned tables. I personally knew two couples who had standing reservations (same table, same time each night) & when I confronted the Maitre D' (not head the waiter) about it would say it wasn't so & turn away to do something else completely ignoring me. I could only assume they greased his hand upfront for special treatment although they would never say anything to me about it.

That's what turned me against standing reservations in the AT DR for good.

Seating in the anytime dining room should be assigned to people as they arrive. Get yourself down there at whatever time you want to eat, stand in line or get a beeper.

Since a TD won't be poaching an ATD seat until after they board the ship, the mystery of the waiting lists remains. If, as one person said, people are choosing TD because they have heard of the long wait times, that might explain why the waiting lists seem so long. More curious is the situation on the Pacific Princess and the 2015 anniversary cruise. That ship has no ATD, just two Traditional seatings, and there are currently waiting lists for BOTH times. (This is still the case, as far as I know.) We are on that cruise with a confirmed late seating, but there are others I know of who have been on one of the lists for a long time. It could be as simple as trading the early people with the late people, but it's apparently not that obvious. Unless the cruise experiences mass cancellations, some people will be eating on deck from food the rest of us have to sneak out to them. :);):D There must be some secret formula for assigning tables, but no way I can figure it out.

...More curious is the situation on the Pacific Princess and the 2015 anniversary cruise. That ship has no ATD, just two Traditional seatings, and there are currently waiting lists for BOTH times...

That is strange. Some ships (and lines) seem to adjust their wait lists sooner than others. I have a family member that I booked on a HAL cruise months ago for a November sailing, and was just taken off the wait list and confirmed for early TD the other day, around the time of final payment.

I have never been waitlisted on Princess, so perhaps others who have can weigh in with how soon before sailing they were confirmed.

Edited by Ryndam2002

since a td won't be poaching an atd seat until after they board the ship, the mystery of the waiting lists remains. If, as one person said, people are choosing td because they have heard of the long wait times, that might explain why the waiting lists seem so long. More curious is the situation on the pacific princess and the 2015 anniversary cruise. That ship has no atd, just two traditional seatings, and there are currently waiting lists for both times. (this is still the case, as far as i know.) we are on that cruise with a confirmed late seating, but there are others i know of who have been on one of the lists for a long time. It could be as simple as trading the early people with the late people, but it's apparently not that obvious. Unless the cruise experiences mass cancellations, some people will be eating on deck from food the rest of us have to sneak out to them. :);):d there must be some secret formula for assigning tables, but no way i can figure it out.

$$$ :D You think.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

Since a TD won't be poaching an ATD seat until after they board the ship, the mystery of the waiting lists remains. If, as one person said, people are choosing TD because they have heard of the long wait times, that might explain why the waiting lists seem so long. More curious is the situation on the Pacific Princess and the 2015 anniversary cruise. That ship has no ATD, just two Traditional seatings, and there are currently waiting lists for BOTH times. (This is still the case, as far as I know.) We are on that cruise with a confirmed late seating, but there are others I know of who have been on one of the lists for a long time. It could be as simple as trading the early people with the late people, but it's apparently not that obvious. Unless the cruise experiences mass cancellations, some people will be eating on deck from food the rest of us have to sneak out to them. :);):D There must be some secret formula for assigning tables, but no way I can figure it out.

I don't actually 'know' anything, but here's my guess.

Before the cruise, a certain % of TD seats are made available to those booking the cruise. These are the 'first come first served' dining slots. This is *not* 100% of the available TD seats, just a portion of them. (I have no idea what that % might be.)

People who book the cruise later, after all of the TD seats are filled, are automatically assigned to AT, and can join the waitlist for TD if they wish.

The remaining % of TD seats that was not assigned 'first come first serve' go to suites (who can get whatever dining they wish, no matter when they book - I experienced this myself last January) and then any remainder is 'play' for the Maitre'D. This way, there are some seats to assign on the day when the ship boards, for people who are unhappy with their dining assignments. Since TD is always popular (I have never sailed on a cruise where TD was not completely 'booked', regardless of the number of people showing up each night in the dining room) there is no problem filling these seats, and then people who have legitimate need for TD (people with small children, people with medical needs, etc.) can be accommodated, as well as other passengers who prefer TD.

Again, this is just a guess, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

I was told by onboard staff, my TA, and a number here on CC who have said they have done it also.

Lots of things on cruise critic get repeated so often, that they appear

to be true even when they are not.

On my most recent cruise, they sent a note to the cabins of traditional

diners which said -- if you don't show up within 15 minutes of your

reservation, your seat will be given away.

So, it hardly matters where people go, as anytime diners can use

those now available seats.

Lots of things on cruise critic get repeated so often, that they appear

to be true even when they are not.

On my most recent cruise, they sent a note to the cabins of traditional

diners which said -- if you don't show up within 15 minutes of your

reservation, your seat will be given away.

So, it hardly matters where people go, as anytime diners can use

those now available seats.

I can understand them trying to do something to speed up the seating process and it appears to be another empty threat to make people show up on time- it probably works for the most part.

At one time didn't that say that the TD DR would close their doors after 30 minutes of their scheduled seating time? I'd bet they still seat people who arrive 45 minutes late for dinner and disrupt the whole process.

Helenb - that would be precisely my guess as well and would also seem to be the most logical way to do it. That process would also mirror how many other res processes work.

Yes, I agree. It makes sense. We have *always* had early TD on every cruise (on every cruise line) we have ever taken. At first I used to be amazed how on the day of boarding, if I didn't have the dining I wanted, when I got in to make my request, they could always find room for me in early TD. That's when I began to suspect that 'finding room for me' didn't so much have to do with someone already in early TD canceling/switching, but that there was a stockpile of places ready to assign.

• 2 weeks later...

I know all of you have been worrying about me and my dining time. LOL. We just hit #1 on the early traditional waiting list. With five weeks still to go, I am more confident. That list is currently full with 98 parties. I'm still mystified about the whole process.

I know all of you have been worrying about me and my dining time. LOL. We just hit #1 on the early traditional waiting list. With five weeks still to go, I am more confident. That list is currently full with 98 parties. I'm still mystified about the whole process.

I'm sure at least one party will have to change or cancel as sailing day gets closer. Best of luck!