Mysterious dining waiting lists

shredie

I'm sure no one has the definitive answer, but does anyone know anything about how these dining waiting lists work? We are #8 on the 6 pm early traditional for a three day coastal, starting out in the 30s. We have been confirmed for the 5:30 pm list since the beginning. When checking for current dining lists, it appears there are now lists for all the traditional times, 5:30 (in the 20s), 6 (in the 40s) and 8:15 (in the 30s). So does this mean that everyone on one of these lists will end up in Anytime? (I haven't checked to see if they have a list.) This is very confusing. :) LOL.

I believe that everyone on the list for the early traditional is likely to get early traditional as they use one of the anytime dining rooms for early traditional as well. Could it be that overwhelmingly popular??? Don't know about late traditional - how far away is the cruise? Are you past final payment date?

Waitlists will change as people cancel or opt for a different dining time. If you're on a waitlist within the final couple of weeks, then, yes, you'll probably end up on Anytime (never a waitlist there) or wherever you're "confirmed". That being said, on embarkation day, see the maitre'd and you might be able to get your dining assignment changed.

I believe that everyone on the list for the early traditional is likely to get early traditional as they use one of the anytime dining rooms for early traditional as well. Could it be that overwhelmingly popular???

On my last cruise, I had a table for 2 for 6:00pm in traditional dining.

The maitre d' told me there were 45 couples waiting for a table for 2,

if I wanted to give mine up.

...That being said, on embarkation day, see the maitre'd and you might be able to get your dining assignment changed.

Especially if there are only one or two of you. Sometimes it won't happen until the second night after others have requested a move also, and opened up the space you may want. If you are a large group, it becomes harder to move you.

Yes, for a table for 2, but for a seat at a shared table for traditional early seating?

There are four of us and we said we'd like a table for four, but we would be flexible. The numbers on my cruise are up again, with 8:15 having over 80 people on the wait list. With all the talk about how people prefer Anytime, I guess I find it odd that there are so many trying for Traditional.

We are so near the top of our list that I'm confident we'll make it since the cruise is still over a month out.

There are four of us and we said we'd like a table for four, but we would be flexible. The numbers on my cruise are up again, with 8:15 having over 80 people on the wait list. With all the talk about how people prefer Anytime, I guess I find it odd that there are so many trying for Traditional.

We are so near the top of our list that I'm confident we'll make it since the cruise is still over a month out.

Just see the MD on embarkation day.

...I guess I find it odd that there are so many trying for Traditional...

My TA says word is getting out that ATD on many ships means long wait times. I switched my anytime for traditional on my upcoming coastal when I found out that traditional diners are using ATD when it is convenient for them, and adding to wait times for everyone else.

Our November Princess cruise will be the first time my hubby and I have done the anytime dining. We have always done second seating, traditional. Since just the two of us and not a whole group we decided to try out the anytime and just see how things go.

My TA says word is getting out that ATD on many ships means long wait times. I switched my anytime for traditional on my upcoming coastal when I found out that traditional diners are using ATD when it is convenient for them, and adding to wait times for everyone else.

I blame that on Princess. They should not allow TD people to use the ATD rooms.

I blame that on Princess. They should not allow TD people to use the ATD rooms.

Therein lies the problem. :(:( Sometimes there is a good reason for needing to do ATD, but after that, and one time only, it should be the TD people need to wait until the after ATD folks have been seated and no line.;)

TD and ATD should stay apart, I agree, but that's not the issue with us. I'm just trying to figure out the listing procedures. I suspect it's something like Yield Management for cabin allocation (which is a big mystery to me) but on the face of it it makes little sense. I am on a waiting list for 6 pm TD and confirmed for 5:30 TD, but there are currently a whole bunch of people on a wait list for 5:30 (as well as 6.) I wish I knew which people to trade with!

Therein lies the problem. :(:( Sometimes there is a good reason for needing to do ATD, but after that, and one time only, it should be the TD people need to wait until the after ATD folks have been seated and no line.;)

There is never a good reason for needing to do ATD if you are a TD passenger. There are soooooooo many other places you can eat. When I have TD and know I won't be able to make it I let the dining room staff know I won't be there so they don't hold up my table mates wondering if I will be there. If I can't make TD I eat in the buffet, on Lido deck, at IC, at a specialty restaurant, at Alfredo's (if I'm on a ship such as the Grand that has a full time Alfredo's), etc. I would never consider crashing the ATD room when I'm booked as a TD passenger.

Edited by Thrak

TD and ATD should stay apart, I agree, but that's not the issue with us. I'm just trying to figure out the listing procedures. I suspect it's something like Yield Management for cabin allocation (which is a big mystery to me) but on the face of it it makes little sense. I am on a waiting list for 6 pm TD and confirmed for 5:30 TD, but there are currently a whole bunch of people on a wait list for 5:30 (as well as 6.) I wish I knew which people to trade with!

I doubt it's a matter of trading with someone else who also wants TD. The problem is there are only so many TD spots and far too many people want one of them. You end up with a ton of people on waiting lists for TD and a bunch of people who are confirmed for TD who end up wanting to eat whenever and wherever but still take up places on the list for TD. That's why you see TD tables with a empty spots night after night after night. The same dang tables.

I've cleared the waitlist a few times when at #6, so I think your chances are good of clearing it for Traditional Dining. Be prepared, though, that sometimes the ship has the 2 Early Seatings begin at the same time even though they're listed as 5:30 and 6:00 online. We've had this happen a few times.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is never a good reason for needing to do ATD if you are a TD passenger.

That may be your opinion however I completely disagree with you. We have on the very rare occasion been late retuning to the ship after an excursion and have missed our early seating in TD. We don't go on cruises to eat hamburgers or pizza and we don't do buffets even ashore. Dudette has MS and travels in a wheelchair and I will not subject her to the feeding frenzy of the Horizon Court. If the maître-d or the head waiter has a problem with this I am certain they will let us know....however as I say, on the odd occasion we have had to go to ATD and we explain what has happened we have been very welcome.

Also on Grand Class ships there are only 2 elevators that go down to the TD venue which is a major problem for a person with mobility issues. So when on one of these ships we see the maître-d, who of course understands the problem, and often gives us a fixed time tin the ATD venue.

I've cleared the waitlist a few times when at #6, so I think your chances are good of clearing it for Traditional Dining. Be prepared, though, that sometimes the ship has the 2 Early Seatings begin at the same time even though they're listed as 5:30 and 6:00 online. We've had this happen a few times.

That is encouraging. Last cruise we had a 5:30 dining and it was at 5:30 in the mid ship dining room. The TD 6 pm was in the aft dining room at 6. What I want to do is move to the aft dining room for a host of reasons. I also find 5:30 just a little too early for me. We have kids along, so that's the reason for moving to early. I almost always do late TD.

I doubt it's a matter of trading with someone else who also wants TD.

I was joking, I think. :)

From what I understand, it's first come, first served.

That is my understanding also. I don't recall hearing that Elite or suite pax get priority for dining on Princess. At least one other line, Carnival, does give dining choice priority for some passengers.

There will certainly be some late changes in dining requests by booked passengers, as well as some openings from those who have to cancel their cruise at the last minute.

Best of luck!

Edited by Ryndam2002