Sifracar at Livorno question

trvlgirlmq

I have a quote for a car with Sifracar (Hertz). The email states that it includes basic insurance. When I inquired about full CDW, fire, liability they said that most people don't need it but they could offer it. When I do a quote with Kemwel and Autoeurope for other ports it is the only option offered. I was under the impression that when renting a car in Italy you must have the full insurance? Is this assumption incorrect? Just want to make sure if I go ahead with a rental that I have what is required and I am not breaking any laws ;)

I have been advised by a friend who is an insurance agent in the US to get full coverage when renting in Europe. His car was sideswiped while he was in Europe a few years ago and didn't have full coverage, depending on the auto insurance benefit his credit card offered.

Upon return of the vehicle he was required to pay in full the estimated repair cost of anything not covered by the basic insurance. He subsequently had a very difficult time trying to get reimbursement from his credit card company after he returned home. Getting the necessary documentation after returning to the states was difficult to say the least. He finally received reimbursement, but swore he'd never again rent without full insurance. If he had full insurance, he would have been able to return the vehicle and walk away.

So, to answer your question... Put your mind at ease and get full insurance whether it's required or not.

Lew

Got my booking confirmed. Went with the smallest car, full insurance and GPS to be picked up/dropped off right near our ship for a total of €130. A bit pricey but worth it to not have to travel anywhere to get the car. We will still be saving quite a bit over a ship excursion.

I, too, am renting from Sifracar for one day, and I also questioned the truth of their statement that "most credit cards cover the excess." After making the reservation, I checked with the card issuer and was told that they recognize that Italian rental agencies only offer rentals that include "basic insurance." I was assured that my card does indeed cover any excess. That said, my card is a more full-featured one (read: expensive), and other cards may not offer the excess coverage.

Bottom line: check with your card issuer before paying for excess coverage- but get the name of the person at the issuer that tells you that you are covered.

I, too, am renting from Sifracar for one day, and I also questioned the truth of their statement that "most credit cards cover the excess." After making the reservation, I checked with the card issuer and was told that they recognize that Italian rental agencies only offer rentals that include "basic insurance." I was assured that my card does indeed cover any excess. That said, my card is a more full-featured one (read: expensive), and other cards may not offer the excess coverage.

Bottom line: check with your card issuer before paying for excess coverage- but get the name of the person at the issuer that tells you that you are covered.

I certainly respect your decision to use your credit card auto coverage benefit in place of buying extra coverage in Italy. We never purchase auto rental insurance in the US, but always do so in Europe.

Let me be the devil's advocate for a moment... You pick up your rental at the port and drive off for the day. During the day the car is damaged. You'll need a police report at the very least for your credit card coverage.

When your cruise is over you'll need to contact your credit card company where you'll be referred to their insurance department or insurance carrier. Without going into everything, let's agree it's going to be a hassle you don't need to endure.

What if the damage occurs within a couple of hours of the ship leaving? Are you going to risk missing the ship in order locate the police to get that report?

Sifracar representatives may not even be at the port to check you in, having left for the day. Are you going to feel comfortable leaving a damaged vehicle if that damage is not covered by their insurance?

In the whole scheme of things, is it really worth saving €10 to €20 by not buying full coverage for the day? For me the answer is no...

Lew

I certainly respect your decision to use your credit card auto coverage benefit in place of buying extra coverage in Italy. We never purchase auto rental insurance in the US, but always do so in Europe.

Let me be the devil's advocate for a moment... You pick up your rental at the port and drive off for the day. During the day the car is damaged. You'll need a police report at the very least for your credit card coverage.

When your cruise is over you'll need to contact your credit card company where you'll be referred to their insurance department or insurance carrier. Without going into everything, let's agree it's going to be a hassle you don't need to endure.

What if the damage occurs within a couple of hours of the ship leaving? Are you going to risk missing the ship in order locate the police to get that report?

Sifracar representatives may not even be at the port to check you in, having left for the day. Are you going to feel comfortable leaving a damaged vehicle if that damage is not covered by their insurance?

In the whole scheme of things, is it really worth saving €10 to €20 by not buying full coverage for the day? For me the answer is no...

Lew

And I respect your point of view, as well. At this point, I do not know just how much the "full" coverage would cost, but I am sure it will be offered when I pick up the car. I will make my decision at that time. If indeed it is only a trivial amount, I might lean toward taking it. I suspect it won't be trivial, though.

Yes, accidents happen and, no, I wouldn't be happy going through all of what you quite plausibly describe. Still, the sum total of non-trivial add-ons for our many overseas rentals (frequently in Italy) would be enough to make me lean toward relying on my credit card coverage.

Just a quick note for hiring in Italy - check the car thoroughly before leaving the car hire place. We had a car this year that was very scratched/dented and not all were shown on the hire form. We asked a representative to check the form and sign off all the damages. We also found the same guy when we returned the car and got him to sign off again. Many of the cars is Italy have marks on then as the roads can be narrow and the drivers are fast.

We just returned from Livorno and went to Lucca and Pisa by train, so easy and very cheap.

Ok, we have been following this thread with lots of interest but decided to stay quiet until now. As to background, we have been renting cars around the world for over thirty years as DW and I are very independent travelers (whether on a cruise or just on a driving trip). So lets talk about Italy because it is different then most other European countries. Because of Italian laws, nearly all US issued credit cards specifically EXCLUDE, Italy from their auto insurance coverage (usually just CDW) along with some other countries including Ireland, Israel, and sometimes New Zealand.

So, before you assume your usual credit card insurance will apply in Italy you should telephone your credit card company and ask for their current policy regarding Italy. And if they say you are covered you should ask for that in writing. You will usually find that AMEX, Visa and MC will not give any coverage for a car rented in Italy. Ironically, we can rent a car in France (where credit card coverage is not an issue) and drive it into Italy without any coverage issue.

So, lets talk about Sifracar (who we often recommend) and other agencies. There is no standard coverage given by rental car companies. Each is different and there are even differences within the same company depending on how you rent and your options. But all the legit rental car companies (including Sifracar) rent cars in Italy with insurance that, at a minimum, satisfies Italian law. This means you do have insurance coverage, but you might (and usually do) have an "excess" or deductible. This can vary from a zero deductible (you are essentially covered for any damage) to relatively high limits of more then a 1000€.

So here is my advice. Forget what you are told over the phone or in general online statements. Demand the "fine print" in writing and carefully review their so-called policy regarding "excess." So, Sifracar might tell you that you are covered, but when you review the language you might find that you have an 800€ Excess which means you are personally liable for the first 800€ of damage. And usually your credit card will not cover any of this if the car is rented in Italy. There is also the issue of "loss of use" which a real sticky wicket (love this English expression) which is when you get charged for the lost income caused when your car is out of rental circulation waiting to be repaired.

So what to do! Carefully review these issues before you rent a car (best done at home before your trip). If you do not want to assume the risk for the "excess" then you can inquire if they have a zero excess option. If not, you either have to accept the risk or look at other options. And yes, there are other options which usually involve buying an insurance policy from a third party (such as Allianz). As to the third party options you can usually buy such a policy online. But they are often sold by certain booking agencies such as Orbitz...as an add-on to your rental at the time you book. This is not a right or wrong issue, but simply a matter of being informed and deciding how much risk you are willing to assume.

I should also mention there are different rules when it comes to longer term rentals (we often rent for many weeks). If I am renting for 3 or more days in Italy I might take a good look at both Autoeurope and Kemwel (they are sister companies that discount major rental companies) to see if they have a zero deductable option. In some cases I can get a Hertz or Europcar rental from one of those two companies at a nice discount that includes a low or zero deductable. But Autoeurope and Kemwel (both US based companies) will only handle rentals of 3 or more days. And the other option is to lease a car (only possible for 21 or more days) which usually includes zero deductible insurance. Leases can be cool because you usually get the option to choose your own brand new car (done well in advance) with all the options you desire. The best lease deals seem to be in France (and we are told it also works in Germany). Some lease deals are good enough that folks might travel from Italy to France to get their car.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for weighing in Hank. I knew I had heard or read about no coverage in Italy albeit only through credit card. I've only rented in France (using both Kemwel and Autoeurope) and always taken the full insurance with zero excess. I, personally, feel more comfortable with this.

My email to Sifracar specifically stated that I wanted full insurance (CDW, fire, liability) with zero excess; using those words. They replied in confirmation with the additional quote. I'll look over the paperwork as carefully as I can since I don't read Italian!

My mom is very excited to visit San Gimignano.

Thanks for weighing in Hank. I knew I had heard or read about no coverage in Italy albeit only through credit card. I've only rented in France (using both Kemwel and Autoeurope) and always taken the full insurance with zero excess. I, personally, feel more comfortable with this.

My email to Sifracar specifically stated that I wanted full insurance (CDW, fire, liability) with zero excess; using those words. They replied in confirmation with the additional quote. I'll look over the paperwork as carefully as I can since I don't read Italian!

My mom is very excited to visit San Gimignano.

We are with your Mom :). San Gimignano has long been one of our favorite places in the entire region. Just remind your Mom (and the rest of your group) to wear comfy walking shoes. And if you are not aware, there is an excellent paid parking garage just past the entrance to the city (there are good signs) in case you cannot easily find a free spot along the road. And if you are art fans (especially of contemporary art) you might also be interested in the Maeght Foundation which is a very short drive from town. If you happen to be leaving San Gimignano a little early and have the energy to look at an art museum this place is recommended (especially for fans of Miro).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are with your Mom :). San Gimignano has long been one of our favorite places in the entire region. Just remind your Mom (and the rest of your group) to wear comfy walking shoes. And if you are not aware, there is an excellent paid parking garage just past the entrance to the city (there are good signs) in case you cannot easily find a free spot along the road. And if you are art fans (especially of contemporary art) you might also be interested in the Maeght Foundation which is a very short drive from town. If you happen to be leaving San Gimignano a little early and have the energy to look at an art museum this place is recommended (especially for fans of Miro).

Hank

Yes, always wear comfy shoes since breaking both feet (at different times).

I saw a map of parking lots (paid) on both the North and South sides of the town on their official website. We are also springing for the GPS and they have said it will be pre-programmed to get us to several locations.

Only 9 months to go!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on our Sifracar rental at Livorno. The agent was waiting for us at the Hertz counter in the terminal when we exited the ship. The paperwork was handled expeditiously. Surprisingly, there was no attempt to sell us additional coverage. The car had two minor scratches which the agent had already documented. I could find no others. We were told to leave the car unlocked in the lot next to the terminal with the keys over the visor and the GPS under the seat.

When we returned at the end of the day, there was no agent present. Therefore, I took many pictures in case I would need to document later that I had returned the car without damage. I also held onto my receipt from the lot where we parked in Lucca.

When we got back home, there was a temporary authorization for two days' rental on my credit card, which is reasonable practice. This disappeared after several days. The final charge was accurate; it was posted about 10 days after the rental.

One last note: the GPS performed flawlessly and might not have been needed for just city-to-city travel. However, it had been pre-programmed by the agent for all of the most common tourist destinations (including municipal parking lots), and this was very helpful. Amusingly, though, where it really came in handy was returning to the terminal within the pier area. There were times when we could see our ship but not the path to get to it through the very high stacks of containers and equipment. No matter. The GPS took us right there.

In sum, I was most satisfied with Sifracar and would use them again.